Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Something new from Ozone

Postby plummet » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:13 pm

kitesurfbali wrote:Long time without posting BUT..
Just couple of consideration!
Ozone make the most successful race Kite in the Market for the last 4 years..

NOW they bring out a foil that they claim is better then their already WINNER race pump!!

So I don't see why not to believe them...

In the Russian race of 52 km on the snow the new Ozone arrived 10 minutes before any other kite!!!

As disclaimer Ozone is saying that the new kite will not perform well in extreme gusty conditions (like SF) and is absolutely not a kite for beginner or even intermediate!!

Price is about 15% more expensive then the Edge..
Bye Jankie
Yeah. it looks real high aspect. even higher than the speeds. Which means it will rock upwind like a maniac but a foil that long and thin will be a nightmare if it looses line tensions. The fixed bridle race foils the buggy guys use are the same. Crazy long and thin and they kick arse if piloted by a skilled guy. But fly em slightly wrong.... you have a crumpled ball of fabric falling from the sky.

I still maintain foils own the light wind.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:23 pm

DrLightWind wrote:Any specs like how many cells they have, aspect ratio and wind range yet,
or are they going to have better low end than the similar size FS Speed3 & 4 :?:
I paused video and calculated half of the kite. It has 45-46 cells, bridle attachment every other cell wall and 4 rows vs speed having 39 cells (out from memory) with bridle attachment every 3 cell walls with 4 rows. So I'd imagine it to be much higher bridle drag.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:06 am

Look how well the Elf kites have done in the last year.

Interesting that the girl who dominated racing last year on the Elf kites, moves to Ozone and all of a sudden Ozone have a kite that looks like the Elf kites.

:o :lol:

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:08 am

Looks super thin!.... very fixed bridle racefoilesk

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:34 am

Just goes to show how different we all are. I look at that kite and go wtf yuk and yet to others it creates a sense of excitement. Was the edge in that vid Plummett on a foil board or race board. Race board right, how's that a fair comparison?

mmunzer
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby mmunzer » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:36 am

When do we get a water relaunchable Summit Ultralight??? After riding both foils + tubes and as an average joe rider, I really miss my foils from a practical point of view, but have never had a foil (besides my frenzy) which flew the way I like. Low aspect ratio, C-shape + clean + thin airfoil. I think the Summit looks very interesting and would love to see a water version!

/Marc

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:35 pm

Westozzy wrote:Just goes to show how different we all are. I look at that kite and go wtf yuk and yet to others it creates a sense of excitement. Was the edge in that vid Plummett on a foil board or race board. Race board right, how's that a fair comparison?
13 edge.

Yeah you wont want this kite west. but for a man that's also on the land its very interesting.

Brian Holgate
Rare Poster
Local Beach: 6 Mile @ Lake Mojave, Nevada
Favorite Beaches: 6 Mile
Sherman Island
Kite Point in OBX
Style: Freestyle/Speed
Gear: Fixed Bridle: Vapor and Core
Twinskin: Charger 2 and Phantom
LEI: Escape and Fury
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn
Been thanked: 0

Postby Brian Holgate » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:30 am

plummet wrote:Well I can weigh into this argument with some experience.

What is faster lei or foil... depower foil or fixed bridle?

I have raced in the buggy and landboard with flysurfer speed 3, ozone manta, summit, edge, c4, catalyst, frenzy, access.

I have races guys on some of the vapour, reactor, yakuza a variety of arcs and other slower fixed bridles.

What is fastest head to head?... All other aspects being equal. The fixed bridle race kites win everytime IF they are perfectly powered in their small wind range. In that wind range I can't touch them.

But if the wind is variable then its game on. I can compete with a depower foil. As the winds get more variable then the lei with the larger range becomes the weapon to choose.

If it is wet leis win hands down. Foil performance goes out the window.

What will ultimately go faster lei or foil.

So lighter steady winds... your out of luck on you inflatable.

But as the wind increases to stupid levels its usually very gusty and the vast AOA adjustment at the bar of an lei means you can adjust to the perfectly powered position. Couple this with significantly reduced bridle drag I believe that leis will over take foils for ultimate speed one day.

Sorry Bille, I'm with Billy B on this one. The inflatables aren't close at the moment because nobody had run them at the right time on the salt flats.
So I see there has been a big discussion on here about my record and what kite may be faster on the dry lake. Let me clear the air a little.

I have been testing 3 types of High AR kites in High wind(50+mph). So far the following are my results:
-2.7m Vapor(fixed bridle foil) - 84.1 mph
-9m Phantom 2(Twinskin foil) - 80 mph
-7m Fury (LEI) - 76 mph

With all the testing here is what my results have shown:

-Fixed bridles give you the Fastest Acceleration. PROS - Since you have NO depower you get a maximum acceleration when a gust hits. CONS - Can be unstable in Extreme Lulls.

-Twinskins just keep pulling and pulling. It works off of your apparent wind and will take you as fast as you want to go. PROS - Having depower allows you to adjust the kite to the wind speed. It also has pretty light bar pressure. CONS - Launching one of these in 50-60 mph is SKETCHY! I don't suggest it to anyone unless you are very seasoned on these kites.

-LEI's are very easy to control. PROS - As everyone knows these kites handle extremely well in high winds and gusty conditions. When a 20 mph lull hits the kite will keep its shape and drift back into the wind. CONS - Once you get up to 70+ the bar pressure gets exponentially heavier which prevents you from holding your line and hitting max speed.. Also the LEI's have to much parasitic drag. Perhaps the LEI will reign supreme with an extremely small LE and a few other changes to alleviate the bar pressure, even more.

Now I know some people may say that some kites have lighter bar pressure than others. Well I haven't flown every kite on the market, but one thing everyone, that has flown the kite, has said about the Fury is the bar pressure is among the lightest.

IMO there are some hurdles that we need to cross to reach 100+ with a kite. But I think when we do it will be with a rigid wing, not a foil. However, that being said, Although LEI's and Twinskins have huge potential...the fastest kite out there at this point for LAND is a fixed bridle foil.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:01 am

Brian Holgate wrote:
plummet wrote:Well I can weigh into this argument with some experience.

What is faster lei or foil... depower foil or fixed bridle?

I have raced in the buggy and landboard with flysurfer speed 3, ozone manta, summit, edge, c4, catalyst, frenzy, access.

I have races guys on some of the vapour, reactor, yakuza a variety of arcs and other slower fixed bridles.

What is fastest head to head?... All other aspects being equal. The fixed bridle race kites win everytime IF they are perfectly powered in their small wind range. In that wind range I can't touch them.

But if the wind is variable then its game on. I can compete with a depower foil. As the winds get more variable then the lei with the larger range becomes the weapon to choose.

If it is wet leis win hands down. Foil performance goes out the window.

What will ultimately go faster lei or foil.

So lighter steady winds... your out of luck on you inflatable.

But as the wind increases to stupid levels its usually very gusty and the vast AOA adjustment at the bar of an lei means you can adjust to the perfectly powered position. Couple this with significantly reduced bridle drag I believe that leis will over take foils for ultimate speed one day.

Sorry Bille, I'm with Billy B on this one. The inflatables aren't close at the moment because nobody had run them at the right time on the salt flats.
So I see there has been a big discussion on here about my record and what kite may be faster on the dry lake. Let me clear the air a little.

I have been testing 3 types of High AR kites in High wind(50+mph). So far the following are my results:
-2.7m Vapor(fixed bridle foil) - 84.1 mph
-9m Phantom 2(Twinskin foil) - 80 mph
-7m Fury (LEI) - 76 mph

With all the testing here is what my results have shown:

-Fixed bridles give you the Fastest Acceleration. PROS - Since you have NO depower you get a maximum acceleration when a gust hits. CONS - Can be unstable in Extreme Lulls.

-Twinskins just keep pulling and pulling. It works off of your apparent wind and will take you as fast as you want to go. PROS - Having depower allows you to adjust the kite to the wind speed. It also has pretty light bar pressure. CONS - Launching one of these in 50-60 mph is SKETCHY! I don't suggest it to anyone unless you are very seasoned on these kites.

-LEI's are very easy to control. PROS - As everyone knows these kites handle extremely well in high winds and gusty conditions. When a 20 mph lull hits the kite will keep its shape and drift back into the wind. CONS - Once you get up to 70+ the bar pressure gets exponentially heavier which prevents you from holding your line and hitting max speed.. Also the LEI's have to much parasitic drag. Perhaps the LEI will reign supreme with an extremely small LE and a few other changes to alleviate the bar pressure, even more.

Now I know some people may say that some kites have lighter bar pressure than others. Well I haven't flown every kite on the market, but one thing everyone, that has flown the kite, has said about the Fury is the bar pressure is among the lightest.

IMO there are some hurdles that we need to cross to reach 100+ with a kite. But I think when we do it will be with a rigid wing, not a foil. However, that being said, Although LEI's and Twinskins have huge potential...the fastest kite out there at this point for LAND is a fixed bridle foil.
An awesome reply...... Have you been doing this research on the super low pl speed buggy?

I hadn't even thought about the bar pressure at super high speeds. but it makes perfect sence.....

Also when your fangen at high speed (well relative high speed, low for you high for me) on my local beaches you have to shed the gust or be dragged into drift wood 3-4 meters down wind. So depower is the go when you need to loose power. But I guess on a dry lake bed who cares if you drift downwind in a gust? just go faster!

From looking at the guys on the water blasting high speed in the trench the also need to control downwind drift or they smash into the end of the trench..... would be interesting to see how fast the fixed bridle on the water in one of those trenches.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:08 am

Brian Holgate wrote:CONS[/b] - Once you get up to 70+ the bar pressure gets exponentially heavier which prevents you from holding your line and hitting max speed.. Also the LEI's have to much parasitic drag. Perhaps the LEI will reign supreme with an extremely small LE and a few other changes to alleviate the bar pressure, even more.
Here's an idea.

How about setting up a stopper ball/clamp on the bar of the lei to fix it to max power? then you will get rid of the bar pressure issue.

Or have you tried depower adjustment not at the bar but via a clam cleat like the course racing guys do?

Return to “Kitesurfing”