Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

While waiting for wind...dream spots found in Google Earth..

forum for kitesurfers

southflorida
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Style: flat water, go fast, practice tricks
Brand Affiliation: None

While waiting for wind...dream spots found in Google Earth..

Postby southflorida » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:38 pm

Before you all remind me, yes, no wind for South Florida lately, so I live "vicariously" touring around in Google Earth.

Google Earth imagery seems to have gotten better...anyways, next time you are thinking of traveling to a new place to kite, take a look at available imagery. Pay close attention to the shore. Especially if arid...the wind does a number on the sand, and is a dead give-away to the direction and intensity of the winds.

These four look especially good for kiting...if you know of others, share em?

1. Falcon State, Venezuela
2. Oaxaca State, Mexico
3. NW Australia, about 400 miles north of Perth
4. NE Coast of Brasil (only a partial shot, that whole coast is wind-swept)

ScreenHunter_09 Jan. 30 17.20.jpg

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Gear: BWS / Ocean Rodeo / Stringy Foil

Re: While waiting for wind...dream spots found in Google Ear

Postby juandesooka » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:52 pm

this may help your searching too...watch it every few days to see where the new hot spots are. :D
http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wi ... ,-2.04,409

How about Lake Nicaragua area? Looks plenty windy. http://goo.gl/maps/n0TNz

Oaxaca, here's info on the "Tehuano" wind in Salina Cruz area....watch it on the global map, nearly always windy, one of the windiest places on Earth....very few online reports of people chasing it, great potential adventure! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehuano_wind

svetliy
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Plumb Beach, NY
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Takoon

Postby svetliy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:51 am

juandesooka wrote: How about Lake Nicaragua area? Looks plenty windy. http://goo.gl/maps/n0TNz
You can't kite a lake Nicaragua - you will get sick. http://www.inmotionkitesurfing.com/2014 ... ng-schools

southflorida
Medium Poster

Postby southflorida » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:40 am

Bay of Salinas, Costa Rica is directly west of the bottom of Lake Nicaragua...there is some wind there! Can see tons of white caps in google earth, and the nullschool site shows lots of wind there often.

Also, Salina Cruz in Oaxaca state in Mexico gets a lot of direct north winds. Damn - almost everytime I look at nullschool, its over 20 knots and often over 30

I love that nullschool site. Learned more about the wind from that site in a couple of months than in years of trying to understand the bigger picture of the winds, fronts, whats coming, where its coming from, etc.

Bay of Salinas...if you zoom in google earth in you can see kiters, and a ton of white caps...it's gotta be 25+ knots when they took the pic.
Salinas.jpg
Bahia Salinas, Costa Rica

southflorida
Medium Poster

Postby southflorida » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:45 am

sevtliy, I just clicked on that link about Lake Niacaragua. What a damn shame.

Nicaragua could benefit huge from tourism of our type, and it's so close and otherwise really inexpensive to the USA.

Makes me wonder if the spot up in Mexico in Oaxaca state has some unknown pollution or hazard as it's rarely mentioned, and it freakin' blows there.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster

Postby juandesooka » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:01 am

southflorida wrote:sevtliy, I just clicked on that link about Lake Niacaragua. What a damn shame.

Nicaragua could benefit huge from tourism of our type, and it's so close and otherwise really inexpensive to the USA.

Makes me wonder if the spot up in Mexico in Oaxaca state has some unknown pollution or hazard as it's rarely mentioned, and it freakin' blows there.
Agree...harsh about that pollution.

Oaxaca ... don't think it is polluted, though Salinas Cruz Is a large industrial port. I think main issue is that it is in the middle of nowhere. ...hard place to get to...desolate landscape is not very tourist friendly...and I suspect it may suffer from the unusual problem of just too windy! Plus strong offshore wind raises safety issues. Still....I am fascinated. ..hope to get there someday! as well as many many other places....big world.

southflorida
Medium Poster

Postby southflorida » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:12 pm

Juan,
I agree that it looks desolate at Salina Cruz...but at least it's a town with some hotels and certainly food/beverage, probably no night life as we kiters may be used to.

Yes, it is totally off shore wind there, so going in the ocean probably means having someone watching with a boat - but too much wind? Hahaha - yeah, I know, too much for my 12m and 14m for sure, but I'd buy a 7m if I had that kind of wind. Our best high-class problem: too much wind!

The lagoons are interesting - the shoreline is perpendicular to the wind, almost exactly, so it would be pure flatness and high wind, kind of like Namibia at the speed strip? Not sure if it blows 40 knots right at the shore there, but I've seen over 40 knots plenty of times off shore of Salina Cruz on the nullsoft site.

Maybe it's horribly gusty? no way to really tell from nullsoft or google imagery...

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster

Postby juandesooka » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:37 pm

southflorida wrote:Juan,
I agree that it looks desolate at Salina Cruz...but at least it's a town with some hotels and certainly food/beverage, probably no night life as we kiters may be used to.

Yes, it is totally off shore wind there, so going in the ocean probably means having someone watching with a boat - but too much wind? Hahaha - yeah, I know, too much for my 12m and 14m for sure, but I'd buy a 7m if I had that kind of wind. Our best high-class problem: too much wind!

The lagoons are interesting - the shoreline is perpendicular to the wind, almost exactly, so it would be pure flatness and high wind, kind of like Namibia at the speed strip? Not sure if it blows 40 knots right at the shore there, but I've seen over 40 knots plenty of times off shore of Salina Cruz on the nullsoft site.

Maybe it's horribly gusty? no way to really tell from nullsoft or google imagery...
We keep this up, we'll need to start a new thread! But it's a no wind Saturday, so why not...I hear Salina Cruz is industrial and not very nice, but there is shelter. There are kite and surf missions to the area, but I believe they mostly go from a surf camp somewhere to the west ... it is mostly a surfing area for tourists, empty sand pointbreaks is their advertisement....but I see strong offshore winds added too, hmm. 8)

Yes, need boat support, and I don't think there is any. If kite visitors become common, I'd bet a local entrepreneur could do well with a waverunner for backup. But I understand there's good lagoons and protected bays with catchments for safe flat water sailing.

Too windy....reading up on it, I think it can get hurricane force, beyond 7m or any storm kite! That is the worst kind of sucking ... at the beach, ready to go, but too much....too strong, too gusty, too crazy....so close yet so very very far. :-?

Speed racing....I also recall reading somewhere that someone was trying for sailing records in that area....can't remember if it was kiting or windsurfing though.

I will get there one day!

Back to google earth ... I live in BC Canada, there are countless inlets and fjords along the BC coast, many likely with epic summer thermal set ups. Just need a float plane, gas money, time, and a serious adventure streak. Bring your fishing rod, too! :lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”