All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Friendly advice needed: gear for Egypt
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:45 pm 
Rare Poster

Hi,
I'm planning my first kite trip to Egypt in April. I've got all sorted out regarding where to stay & how to get there with all the equipment, but as I've kited only in my local spots, I still have doubts regarding the equipment I should or should not take with me.

1) My weight is ca. 105 kg, and normally I use Flysurfer 3 DLX 15 for all the conditions (for me this means 12-20 kts with twintip - anything above 20kts is not a pleasure anymore).If I need to I can handle the kite up to ca. 25kts, but it feels like "kiting for survival" ;-)

Do I need a second kite for El Gouna, or usually the conditions are below 20-25kts?

2) I've read some stories about stepping on a spiked shell, and needing it removed in the hospital, infections etc...anyway - it is recommended at least for beginners (which I consider applicable to myself) to wear boots.

I have found those Mystic Aqua Walker Reef shoes: http://www.powerkiteshop.com/mystic-aqua-walker-shoes.htm which seem to be appropriate, but has anyone used them while kiteboarding???

Don't say anything like "rely on your luck" etc. 'cause for me if something bad can happen, it frequently does... So opinions on the product please...

3) As for the rest of equipment, I'm taking the Flydoor L, and K-Race raceboard as this is what gives me the most fun from riding, but if your experience with El Gouna says "that guy is crazy to take this equipment" - also let me know ;-)

4) How "dense" is the spot during Kite Jamboree? Anybody been there during that event?

Thanks in advance, and hope you'll help me out (the shoes are priority)

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Friendly advice needed: gear for Egypt
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:33 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I don't use shoes there. But, there are corals, so be careful...if you ride at Kitepower no shoes needed.

Egypt has all strengths...so be prepared. Can be 10, can be 30 knots.
Usually El Gouna has few less knots than Soma Bay.

If light winds do a day trip (in the morning!) to Soma Bay.

I normally go with my 18 most of the time during summer. It can be 2 weeks no wind, 2 weeks 20+.
No one knows!

If kite jamboree is on, should be still enough space...and you can test gear ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:58 pm 
Rare Poster

Hi Kristoff, i am also thinking of going to Egypt.As it seems you have done some research, where would you advise me to go( i am a begginer intermediate) ? If possible I would like a nice hotel, dont care too much about night life? Is it safe to travel there right now?thanks for your opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:39 pm 
Rare Poster

Hi awo,

I am sorry but you'll need to do your own research. I'm going to El Gouna for 2 reasons:
1) It's pretty easy to fly there from Warsaw, where I live
2) RedSeaZone base is located there. It's a Polish base and I'm also Polish.

As for other spots, good hotels etc...I don't know. Every hotel in El Gouna is 5-15 minutes of tuk-tuk ride from the base, so I don't care...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:46 pm 
Medium Poster

Hi there!
I am not sure if boots will do the trick. The shell, which is responsible for rare foot injuries is this one, and it doesn't seem to care about boots or not:

While I was there I only saw it ones, actually at the launching zone. Good luck if you drop the kite on that.

As for wind, I used the 13 Rebel most of the time, and once the 9 Rebel. If the wind picks way up, you can probably just rent a smaller kite too.

Have fun

[ 5 posts ]