Local Beach: 2002
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: North Neo 2014

Postby peterheirman » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:27 pm

@Stefarius:
According to Dan:
"Most testing was done in Hawaii. Sky, Ken, Patri, Airton, and several other team members were actively involved in the testing, most of which was done at Ho'okipa/Lanes and various other spots, mostly on the North Shore of Maui.
-Dan"
Is Neo suited for the Dutch waves and conditions? I even wonder if you know what these conditions are. Have a look at the LEN10 video's to give you an idea - look behind Len10: 200m further in the sea: 6 to 10 foot waves (minimal)

We do ride these waves: back and front side with small kites: 5m or even 4m.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:57 pm

windfreak wrote:Thanks Dan and all of you guys for your extrapolations and reviews...Like westozzz said you can t have it all ! It was different in 2005 when we only could use a c kite with noooo depower to ride in every conditions :o

Ha ha yep, we are spoilt for choice now!! :D

gc
Rare Poster

Postby gc » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:29 am

@robclaisse
Do you feel the NEO bar pressure is significantly higher then the Rebel?

@All
Anyone try the Dice Vs. NEO 2014 - for wave riding on a directional/surfboard?
Thanks

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:27 am

windfreak wrote:Thanks Dan and all of you guys for your extrapolations and reviews...Like westozzz said you can t have it all ! It was different in 2005 when we only could use a c kite with noooo depower to ride in every conditions :o

Ha ha yep, we are spoilt for choice now!! :D

Been thinking, it does make sense this powerful surf kite approach. You want the smallest kite possible of course, this goes without saying. Also if ya fair dinkum you want to be nicely powered in that you have enough to get back upwind, but can kill the kite and surf the wave. When the wind picks up, trying to hold down a kite too big is okay for freeride, but on a SB really it's time to change down. A kite like the rebel has aspect that allows you to use the potential of an over powered situation and go big. Thats not necessary on a SB...If you are fair dinkum about actually surfing the waves that is and not using the power of the kite all the time. So really the top end of a surf kite can be marginalised and should be for a better low end.

Also you don't want to piss about with sheeting too much either...the waves are your focus.

Ozone made the new reo more powerful, it seems the new epic kite has been made a powerful kite ...and the neo

Maybe this is the way we are going with surf kites...kind of makes sense.

Above...mate a rebel has a decent amount of aspect, of course it will have markedly less bar pressure. Get on an edge if you want to test this idea out, you'll be changing to the middle or most bar pressure setting in no time so you can feel the thing...for freeride. You want to know exactly where a wave kite is, you don't want to be looking at it, just the waves and it's sections.

Neo versus dice, well I can answer that as soon as they get here, we are on it. I ride the dice kites and I'm very intrigued with this new neo incarnation to say the least. That canopy cannot hide some delta influences hey so I'm predicting the bar pressure won't be on the light side that's for sure. How do you think they have produced such a low end and fast turning. Let's hope though as per north it's been done with the refinement we all know and expect. I'm sure it has.

robclaisse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Currently living in Blouberg, Cape Town, ZA
Favorite Beaches: Shoreham-by-sea, UK
Waddell Creek - Santa Cruz, USA
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Style: Waves / Foiling
Gear: F-one Breeze 15m, Bandits 11,8,6
Pocket 13cm with a Mirage 800, 85cm mast
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137
Brand Affiliation: Progression Sports (Formally Fat Sand)

Postby robclaisse » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:58 pm

@gc Yeah, there is a difference in the bar pressure on the Neo compared to the Rebel but I got to used to it really quickly. I was out for 3 hours yesterday on the 9m and it didn't bother me at all.
As Westozzy said, there has to be some trade off over the advantages of the Rebel & now come to think of it the Neo is good for knowing where it is at all times.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:16 am

Just found out my mate has picked up a brand new 7m and 9m neo (plus a wam and whip for good measure) to demo. See what I can find if the wind plays ball.

gc
Rare Poster

Postby gc » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:29 am

@robclaisse and @westozzy - thank you

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Postby magnusod » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:06 am

stefarius wrote:@magnusod

It's is a comparison with the Evo. I would say that the up wind performance is average in normal wind.
In it's high end you have to work harder to go up wind because of it's generated power. In it's low end the Neo is pretty easy, fast steering and power while steering.
Thanks Stefarius. That makes sense. Just read this review of the Evo 2014 in IKSurf mag online "The new kite literally flies upwind, it's an absolute machine in this respect.."

frankkite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Knokke-Heist, Belgium
Vrouwenpolder, Holland
Favorite Beaches: Kitebeach, Sal
Corralejo, Fuerteventura
Style: wave, free ride
Gear: North Kontakt 5'11''
North Free Style Fish 5'2"
North Evo 2014

Postby frankkite » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:39 am

Hi, I just ordered 4 new Neo 2014 (12/10/8/6) this is the quiver for my son and me.
I like to go on the water as soon as possible, so starting from 10 knots.
Can anyone tell me if the 22 meter line's are suitable for all 4 kite's?
I am from Belgium and we have all kind of conditions, I always ride strapless (North Kontact 5'11" and Rocket Fish (5'2").

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:45 am

Well just got off the new 7m and 9m neo. Alas take what I say with a grain of salt as there was disappointing waves and this kite must be flown in real waves to really tell all.

The guys before have really covered it mostly. Very powerful for its size. Was only about 19 to 24 ish knots...sand was moving but not crazy whipping. We rode Tts and noth whip between us. One guy 76kg, 77kg and 85kg. All lit comfortably on the 7m on TTs, and one could say overpowered on the 5'8 ish whip! So it's no surprise we were really lit on the 9m...we can hold down a lot of power having flown rebels, edges etc so wasn't an issue but you wouldn't want an intermediate or below on the 9 ...very powerful for size.

Very quick, very direct. All this adds up to my prediction that they have built some delta into this kite.

I think someone said be careful with the sheeting and this is correct. It's not a kite that needs to be worked a great deal, turn it will generate a lot of power, sheet out quickly, then pull in to gain enough power down the line. A more park and ride kite I'd say, unless on really get yourself on the smallest kite possible (which is obviously ideal on a SB) in which you could fly and follow but you better be prepared to sheet off the excess power.

It jumps as Dan said...funny on the website the freeride component of the graph is at 100 percent alongside the rebel, Evo and the older fuse. It does jump more like a freeride kite. None of us felt comfortable hitting a powered loop with it (as with the dice) none of use felt we could comfortably unhook it either (as with the dice...but only first crack so who knows)...but the power generated by small movements of sheeting in put us off doing this.

Sure a rider at the top of their game would and indeed with more experience on the kite we would (although it's a demo so their against another reason we didn't)...but the kite didn't have that feel. I reckon it's designed mostly for hooked in riding, but let's face it most of us do this in the waves.

Yeh must say its a very different design and feel to pervious years, might take the market aa while to adjust. But it does drift very nicely, is well built and it seems a lot of these surf kites are being made more powerful.

In the end we were glad to put our dices back in the air that's for sure. But we are totally biased...lol

And for the above we were on 22m lines the kite is plenty fast enough on that....you can always get the 22m bar and like myself have 2m extensions I chuck on for an outright freeride session. I know my buddy uses 22m only for his 12,9 and 6m dices on a SB and TT works a treat. I just sometimes put 24m lines on to get a better pendulum when powered looping, ie greater height.

Forget to mention the bar pressure was noticeably higher than the dice and past neos and that was in the soft setting.

Return to “Kitesurfing”