All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Big dilemma: what size kites to take for a trip?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:58 pm 
Medium Poster

I'm about to start packing for another kite trip... Is 3 days for departure date and my windfinder refresh rate is hitting the roof!!!

The forecast is looking real good, 25 mph for the next week! So my 9 wainman is already on the bag... I can only take 3 kites and a twin tip so I usually take one size up and down kites which means the 12 & 7 wainmans to be cover....

But lately I've been thinking that is silly not taking always a light wind kite... In my experience I had way more light wind days than nuclear ones...

So I'm thinking taking now:

15m 15m flysurfer (light wind kite)
9m wainman (my "ideal" kite for the trip)
7m wainman

Am I overthinking it?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Big dilemma: what size kites to take for a trip????
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:34 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

If the 15 can depower down to 12 range you will have good coverage. I have shipped some of my gear ahead to a friendly store that will hold it for me, so the fourth kit can make the trip.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:38 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Just my personal opinion, I'd rather have my normal quiver with me so I'm covered for conditions I actually want to kite in, rather than try to struggle in light wind.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:52 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Your weight, destination and length of stay will enable better answers.

That said if it is a long stay and likely to have windy periods, maybe there's no need for a lightwind kite, assuming there are things to do there besides kite.
If only a week or 10 days, bring a lightwind kite.

It's hard for me to imagine good overlap between the 15 and 9 for most riders with one twintip board.
Seems like that could give you lots of sessions but not dialed in.
But I don't fly FS kites, or know your style etc.
If it's a short trip though, the lightwind kite is insurance.
I went to a notoriously windy destination, ZA for 11 days and only got 2 windy days.
Thought I would be covered with a 13m big kite.
Should have had bigger. Or a better forecast!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:03 pm 
Medium Poster

If you can rent a larger board at your destination, maybe take the 12 (not 15) and, if underpowered, opt for the larger board. You might be able to rent a larger kite, too, but kites are usually more expensive than boards to rent.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:29 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Is there a local forum or facebook page you cant get wind info on? |What it says on windfinder might not be what actually happens.

For example. Locally here you can add 5-10 knots to the forecast for the seabreeze when the wind is coming from W or SW. But you can remove 5-10 knots from the forecast for the seabreeze if it blows fro, N to NW...... Also SW is pushed more W by the seabrease.

Realy what I am saying is that some local knowledge may help you.

Check out the option of paying for an extra bag on your flight. Most times it costs a lot less than paying extra if you have excess luggage on the day.

If you can fit the 3 kites why not?

You are far better to take gear and not use it than not take it and sit on the beach getting pissed off that you don't have a kite for the conditions.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:33 pm 
Medium Poster

Thanks for the tips!

I'm 80kg / 175lb on a good day and I will be on vacation for 12 days in antigua & Barbuda.

I've never thought of pre paying for an extra bag... I think that might be the trick!

Cause although I could rent the kite I rather have my own ones...

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Big dilemma: what size kites to take for a trip?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:49 am 
Rare Poster

I spent around 10 months drifting around france then east coast au with just a 15m S3, a celeritas, and a 2010 smoke, plenty of overlap and the smoke has a high top end when its tuned for it. These days I would prob choose something different but nothing wrong with the overlap between a 15m speed and a 9m wainman.

Post subject: Re: Big dilemma: what size kites to take for a trip?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:57 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I'm about to go on a trip and have been watching the wind pattern for weeks because there are actual readings available for the spot. That's what I'm going to base my selection on - plus a 3 day forecast. I don't trust forecasts beyond 3 days.

eg.
http://www.windfinder.com/report/wind/b ... 2014-11-13

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:17 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

From past winds on iwindsurf, it looks like the tradewinds have been firing as they are supposed to this time of year. Other weather systems can mess them up at times or make them stronger for that matter. You can find the local forecast at http://www.antiguamet.com . You might hook up with Eli Fuller with http://www.adventureantigua.com for some excursions down there. He is a long time champion in wind sports and should be able to provide you with some good advice on conditions and an interesting trip around or off Antigua.

[ 10 posts ]