All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: High wind surfboards
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:29 pm 
Frequent Poster

I am looking for a high wind surf board as my current one doesn't allow me to hold down the power in the gusts, what should I be looking for? My current board is a pin Tail Thruster, 6' x 19.5" with little tail rocker and a double concave.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: High wind surfboards
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:18 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Look at North Kontact boards

Still using my 2010 5'9" x 16 7/8" x 1 3/4"...ideal with my 10-8-6-5m2 Rebels

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:47 pm 
Frequent Poster

Same advice: The Kontacts are fast, are not bothered by chop and won't loose the edge at high speed bottom turns. You can even use them for speed-crossing races when it's blowing strong. Being fast and carvy, they are also perfect for strapped big air.

I had a 5'10" Kontact from 2010 or 2011 then I sold it and made shaped the same board that could be splitted in two for travel and has a Tuttle-box for a foil for 6-10 kts conditions.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:11 pm 
Rare Poster

lezo wrote:
Same advice: The Kontacts are fast, are not bothered by chop and won't loose the edge at high speed bottom turns. You can even use them for speed-crossing races when it's blowing strong. Being fast and carvy, they are also perfect for strapped big air.

I had a 5'10" Kontact from 2010 or 2011 then I sold it and made shaped the same board that could be splitted in two for travel and has a Tuttle-box for a foil for 6-10 kts conditions.

Hi Lezo,

Could you tell me who shaped you a split surf in France, I might be interested.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:34 am 
Very Frequent Poster

My preference for a high wind surfboard is something ideally under 5'5 and the smaller the better, as then they hold the power down far better and there is less windage in the air.

I have a 4'10 Stretch Trow Directional - except with a tow in rocker, as I prefer a faster board.

I did wonder how good the 5'0 Slingshot T-Rex would be, but they may have too much volume and from the one I have seen in the UK, the fins/boxes were poor, with the fins falling out on a relatively new (demo) board.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:07 am 
Frequent Poster

Something around 43-45cm wide, gunnier outline, thin rails, and shorter. For expample North Kontact or Naish Global (which I ride).

We only have waves on the North Sea or the Baltic when it really blows and it is usually choppy.

I have a Global 2012 5.5 which is 44cm wide and very compact. No problem riding that with a 5m kite (75kg) in stormy conditions. The 2013 5.5. is 43 cm and should also be good.

I also have the 5.8. 2013 Global which is 45cm and easy to control at speed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:16 am 
Medium Poster

5' 8" F-One Signature?

Nice and narrow, fast

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:48 pm 
Medium Poster

I am looking for an high wind surfboard too ,heard good things about the wainmen magnum ,maybe a little fragile,need to demo a couple,kontact,global,air rush etc need a solid chop eater in high winds!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:59 pm 
Medium Poster

And don't forget the slingshot tyrant. I love my 6.1 when the waves are big and the wind is strong.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:31 pm 
Frequent Poster

perrinkite wrote:
lezo wrote:

Hi Lezo,

Could you tell me who shaped you a split surf in France, I might be interested.

Thanks

Hi Perrinkite,

Here is the beast, was shaped by my friend Feri from Pirateboards, Hungary. Everything, Spotz foil included, fits into the grey travel bag, which I have already checked in four times as normal air travel baggage. Send me a PM, and I will help you to get one delivered in France for approx. 600€, footstraps and travel bag included, without fins (and foil;)), construction epoxy-sandwich, custom shaped and decorated in approx. 2 months.

Another split surf (less high speed shape than mine), that was also delivered to France:

[ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next