Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

High wind surfboards

Postby fdvj » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:29 pm

I am looking for a high wind surf board as my current one doesn't allow me to hold down the power in the gusts, what should I be looking for? My current board is a pin Tail Thruster, 6' x 19.5" with little tail rocker and a double concave.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Re: High wind surfboards

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:18 pm

Look at North Kontact boards

Still using my 2010 5'9" x 16 7/8" x 1 3/4"...ideal with my 10-8-6-5m2 Rebels

lezo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 80kgs
Local Beach: I have local friends at many beaches now!
Favorite Beaches: Mostly riding these days North Fuerte beaches or wavespots of the French Atlantic/North coast.
Gear: Custom wavesurf board with RRD Religions, custom foilkite with Peak5s, Ozone Edges for boosting.

Postby lezo » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:47 pm

Same advice: The Kontacts are fast, are not bothered by chop and won't loose the edge at high speed bottom turns. You can even use them for speed-crossing races when it's blowing strong. Being fast and carvy, they are also perfect for strapped big air.

I had a 5'10" Kontact from 2010 or 2011 then I sold it and made shaped the same board that could be splitted in two for travel and has a Tuttle-box for a foil for 6-10 kts conditions.

perrinkite
Rare Poster

Postby perrinkite » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:11 pm

lezo wrote:Same advice: The Kontacts are fast, are not bothered by chop and won't loose the edge at high speed bottom turns. You can even use them for speed-crossing races when it's blowing strong. Being fast and carvy, they are also perfect for strapped big air.

I had a 5'10" Kontact from 2010 or 2011 then I sold it and made shaped the same board that could be splitted in two for travel and has a Tuttle-box for a foil for 6-10 kts conditions.

Hi Lezo,

Could you tell me who shaped you a split surf in France, I might be interested.

Thanks

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:34 am

My preference for a high wind surfboard is something ideally under 5'5 and the smaller the better, as then they hold the power down far better and there is less windage in the air.

I have a 4'10 Stretch Trow Directional - except with a tow in rocker, as I prefer a faster board.

I did wonder how good the 5'0 Slingshot T-Rex would be, but they may have too much volume and from the one I have seen in the UK, the fins/boxes were poor, with the fins falling out on a relatively new (demo) board.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:07 am

Something around 43-45cm wide, gunnier outline, thin rails, and shorter. For expample North Kontact or Naish Global (which I ride).

We only have waves on the North Sea or the Baltic when it really blows and it is usually choppy.

I have a Global 2012 5.5 which is 44cm wide and very compact. No problem riding that with a 5m kite (75kg) in stormy conditions. The 2013 5.5. is 43 cm and should also be good.

I also have the 5.8. 2013 Global which is 45cm and easy to control at speed.

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Style: Strapless surfboard & strapless foiling
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Postby SonnyRider » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:16 am

5' 8" F-One Signature?

Nice and narrow, fast

windfreak
Medium Poster

Postby windfreak » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:48 pm

I am looking for an high wind surfboard too ,heard good things about the wainmen magnum ,maybe a little fragile,need to demo a couple,kontact,global,air rush etc need a solid chop eater in high winds!

ulx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter-Ording, Germany
Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller (Denmark) and South Africa
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 8,7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44

Postby ulx » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:59 pm

And don't forget the slingshot tyrant. I love my 6.1 when the waves are big and the wind is strong.

lezo
Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kgs
Local Beach: I have local friends at many beaches now!
Favorite Beaches: Mostly riding these days North Fuerte beaches or wavespots of the French Atlantic/North coast.
Gear: Custom wavesurf board with RRD Religions, custom foilkite with Peak5s, Ozone Edges for boosting.

Postby lezo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:31 pm

perrinkite wrote:
lezo wrote:Same advice: The Kontacts are fast, are not bothered by chop and won't loose the edge at high speed bottom turns. You can even use them for speed-crossing races when it's blowing strong. Being fast and carvy, they are also perfect for strapped big air.

Hi Lezo,

Could you tell me who shaped you a split surf in France, I might be interested.

Thanks
Hi Perrinkite,

Here is the beast, was shaped by my friend Feri from Pirateboards, Hungary. Everything, Spotz foil included, fits into the grey travel bag, which I have already checked in four times as normal air travel baggage. Send me a PM, and I will help you to get one delivered in France for approx. 600€, footstraps and travel bag included, without fins (and foil;)), construction epoxy-sandwich, custom shaped and decorated in approx. 2 months.

Another split surf (less high speed shape than mine), that was also delivered to France:

Return to “Kitesurfing”