Cape Town Visitors - Manners

Forum for kitesurfers
Van Hunk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolphin
Brand Affiliation: None

Cape Town Visitors - Manners

Postby Van Hunk » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:50 am

Ah the fairest Cape. Where the scenery is breath taking, the wind endless, the food and wine wonderful and the Euro and Sterling goes a long long way. Us South Africans certainly feel our home spots are something very special. And so does the rest of the world. Americans, Canadians, Germans, Swedes, Norwegian, Italians, French, Spanish, Lebanese, Brits, Dutchies, to name but a few nationalities, visit the tip of Africa over our Summer. To kite. And to have a blast.

Which certainly makes it crowded. And dangerous – and this is where manners and consideration for our fellow water users become increasingly important.

It seems that manners are no longer instilled in large parts of Europe. In fact, it has been replaced by a sense of entitlement that just boggles the mind.

So, for those travellers who plan to come to the RSA – or who are here already – below are a few basic rules. Stick to them and you will have the time of your life. Guaranteed.

1.Be friendly and smile! You are in Sunny SA!
2.The first 50m of water is for guys coming in or leaving the water. Don’t jump or do free style here. It is just dumb.
3.Roll your lines up when you have landed your kite, or someone will do it for you.
4.Rider with right hand forward on bar has right of way.
5.Avoid beginners and give them right of way.
6.And this is important. NEVER EVER scream or shout at someone on the water - this seems to be a distinctly European trait. The person you scream at might be a local. And you are in Africa. And we don’t scream at each other. If your parents have not taught you manners – the South African locals will. Swiftly.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Re: Cape Town Visitors - Manners

Postby SENDIT! » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:14 pm

I love this! I think you could substitute "South Africa" with anywhere else, and it should STILL hold true. If only... :roll:

Mostly, I guess, we're lucky at least that when riders pass close to each other you tend to get a "woooo-hooooo" of joy! :wink:

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:31 pm

Sounds like u have a bunch of rich pricks that can fly in for the competition...annoying

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:36 pm

You should hand out fliers to kiter on busy days. Then nobody can claim ignorance. All it takes is one dumbass hurting a beach goer to close a beach.

heinzbush
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby heinzbush » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:17 pm

funny that you posted this...

While I couldn't agree more with you, I also want to highlight that this works BOTH WAYS! I witnessed something shocking last week at kitebeach...

A well known local was riding fairly aggressive (practicing for an event), he is a good kiter and apparently kinda "locked" an older Englishman in on the beach when they came both in... In the end, their kites touched... I couldnt see the full action and in the end, I don't think it matters who's fault it was...

what matters is this:
The local followed the English to the beach (who had landed already)... Still, with his kite in the air, the local shouted and screamed at the English guy ("this is not fu/&%$ing England... go back home to your f$%&cking country, etc. etc.)... EVEN WORSE, he threatened to get physical by getting really really close to the older guy who was fully apologetic (who continuously said "I am really sorry if I have done sth wrong... I couldn't go anywhere anymore, etc....")

Usually there are two sides to start a fight, but this idiot really behaved like a di%&head...! Clearly, you don't need good manners or a high IQ to be able to kite well :)

Living here for 5 years and "feeling like a local", I was really ashamed of that douchebag! This is not how visitors are treated in SA!

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:59 am

So call him out , who was it?

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:55 am

The local might be lucky he didn't get sent for a loop down the beach from the sound of it.
Lucky it was an English gentleman he picked on. And perhaps lucky he didn't push it further.

Pippi langsamer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Big Bay
Langebaan
Dolphin Beach
Shark Bay
Brand Affiliation: Naish

Postby Pippi langsamer » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:55 pm

Jeez, and I thought it was only in Western Oz this sort of beahaviour existed!

Never ever had nor seen any problems in Cape Town- remarkable how so many people on the water get along- espec when a novice can be on the same stretch of water as one of the "superstars".

Soudns like an isolated incident. A "well known local", training for a "recent event"???? Hmmmm........

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:51 pm

Here is the US the Euro kiters act the exact same way. There seems to be a common thread with most Euro kiters and water acumen. They have none.

briansuntrax
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolphin Beach, Tableview.
Golfinho hotel, Cumbuco.
Favorite Beaches: Dolphin Beach.
Cumbuco, upwind of Golfinho hotel.
Taiba to Paracaru downwinder.
Rede beach at low tide.
NOT Cauipe
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish Dash and Pivots - Monarch TT.
Brand Affiliation: Owner Suntrax - Importer Naish Kitesuf South Africa.

Postby briansuntrax » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:39 pm

heinzbush wrote:funny that you posted this...

While I couldn't agree more with you, I also want to highlight that this works BOTH WAYS! I witnessed something shocking last week at kitebeach...

A well known local was riding fairly aggressive (practicing for an event), he is a good kiter and apparently kinda "locked" an older Englishman in on the beach when they came both in... In the end, their kites touched... I couldnt see the full action and in the end, I don't think it matters who's fault it was...

what matters is this:
The local followed the English to the beach (who had landed already)... Still, with his kite in the air, the local shouted and screamed at the English guy ("this is not fu/&%$ing England... go back home to your f$%&cking country, etc. etc.)... EVEN WORSE, he threatened to get physical by getting really really close to the older guy who was fully apologetic (who continuously said "I am really sorry if I have done sth wrong... I couldn't go anywhere anymore, etc....")

Usually there are two sides to start a fight, but this idiot really behaved like a di%&head...! Clearly, you don't need good manners or a high IQ to be able to kite well :)

Living here for 5 years and "feeling like a local", I was really ashamed of that douchebag! This is not how visitors are treated in SA!
Hey Heinzbush, please pm me the name of the 'well known local', we are trying to develop a culture of being patient with our much needed visitors and perhaps a gentlemanly word in his ear might help in this regard.

Return to “Kitesurfing”