Rare Poster
Local Beach: ilhabela Brazil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Air rush litium X Viral or rebel

Postby denise » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:44 pm

Hi guys,
I have a lithium 6 wich is the best kite I ever have. I use it at the north coast of Brazl (jericoacoara) downwind with small waves. It is strong and a very fast kite on the turn. Easy to relaunch and never ever let me down. I am simply in love with it.
I would like to buy a bigger one, probably size 8 for the days with lighter wind on the same conditions. I have a rebel, size 8 wich I really do not like on these conditions. slow turning, 5 lines, so I would likret o replace.
Any idea if the lithium 8 has the same DNA of the size six? Better go for the viral? which would be de differences?
Any recomendations?
Also maybe would be important to say I am riding a Naish Global 6", which I think is to big and I would like to buy a new smaller board but do not want to lose the fun.
I am 64kg.
Best :?:

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Style: Strapless surfboard & strapless foiling
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Re: Air rush litium X Viral or rebel

Postby SonnyRider » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:51 pm

My GF(same weight as you) has a 6m, 8m (2012) & 10m (2014) Varial X. She loves them, as do I. They are great kites, but not for park and ride style

The Varial X is more like an F1 car. It needs to be flown. It is not a park and ride kite. You have to work it to get the best from it. They do not work so well in cross conditions, as you need to get some board speed up. It's hard getting the board speed up when you have to make your way out past the shore break. Once you are out there though, it is good times :D

If you get a VX, you will probably take a while to dial into it. But when you do, you will love it. They are really good kites

A lithium is more delta pull the bar in and go, the VX is not

We also have the 9 (2013) & 12m (2014) Airush wave kites, they are awesome. more grunty than the VX, but not as grunty as the Lithiums. These are kites you have to work to get the best from them, massive wind range on them as well

Get a demo of an 8m Lithium and 8VX, then make your choice.

If you are staying with Airush, get rid of the rebel

A 6` board is pretty big for your weight. What is your height?
Last edited by SonnyRider on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blazeheli
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui/ Cocoa Beach Fl
Style: Freeride
Gear: Airush

Postby blazeheli » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:55 pm

I have been flying my 6, 9 and 12 meter lithiums for a couple of years. My 9 flies pretty much like my 6 - just a tad slower on the turns. I really like my Lithiums. If you like your 6 - you will like an 8 Lithium. Plus - you can use the same bar that you use for your 6! :D

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:35 pm

The Globals are great boards and there is a 5.8 in the line up which also has less width. For small waves the Naish Skater should also be good and they have a 5.4.
Lots of options from other brands but the Naish boards are amongst the most durable ones. North has the ladies' surfboard "Woohoo" which is smaller version of the Wam which is known to be a very good allround surfboard.

Dj A-Ron
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cass Lake MI
Port Huron MI (Lake Huron)
Metro Beach MI (Lake St. Clair)
Harsens Island MI (Lake St. Clair)
Favorite Beaches: Tawas MI (Lake Huron)
Oscoda MI (Lake Huron)
Little Sable Point MI (Lake Michigan)
The Flats (Key West)
Anywhere in Cape Hatteras
Kite Beach (Maui)
La Ventana (Mexico)
Barkers (Grand Caymen)
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Kites: Epic Renegade 9m 3G, Airush Lithium 12m & 14m, Blade Fat Lady 17m

Boards: Epic Droid, Oxygen, Spartan, Airush Cypher 5'6"

Postby Dj A-Ron » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:07 am

I picked up the 2013 Lithium 12 and 14 about 6 months ago and I frickin love em! I weigh 215lbs and currently own a Epic Renegade 9m and am contemplating replacing it with a Lithium but at my weight and local riding conditions I very rarely get to use a 9m. But it is nice to have a 9m when the wind picks up. However I just got back from Hawaii and was using my Lithium 12 when it was gusting up to 30mph and had no issues and never felt too overpowered. So I am considering getting the 10m instead of the 9m.

Hey SonnyRider, you seem to know the Airush kites a bit. Have you had any experience between the 9 and 10 Lithium? I am so torn on which one to get....

denise, I am not trying to high jack your thread but I rarely find any info on the Airush kites here on kiteforum...

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Postby SonnyRider » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:57 am

HI

Sorry, not tried the 9 or 10 Lithiums

I've had demo a 12 & 14 back to back and found the 12 was the better of the two. You could wang it around to generate power in the low end. I didn't have the wind for a top end test.
The 14 had more bottom end and had so much power. It is on the list to replace my zephyr

Then I had a demo of the 14m Varial X, that is an awesome machine. The top end was pretty good. It is on the list to replace my 14m Catalyst. I remember one day I rode it, it was 15 - 23 mph on shore, the top end was very controllable, not once did I feel out of control (That would be downwind city on the Cats top end). I then let my GF try it, she found the range and flight handling very good. Much, much better than the Cat in those conditions.Then a local teenager had a go, he was on his 9m C4, he was boosting and couldn't believe how good it was. It is faster than the 12m Lithium
I weigh 97kgs, GF is 60, teen is 50 I think

I had tried to get a demo of the 12m VX, but none were available
We had the 12m Wave on demo and bought that as it fitted in well with my 9m Wave.

The 2012 12m VX was a good kite, I managed to take that to Cape Verde with me last Feb. But the wind was cross on, so I struggled getting out back. But once out back it was a damn fine kite. I got further upwind on that than I did on my 14m Cat.

Airush have got better & better year on year. I can not wait to see what they are going to bring out next.

Good times 8)
Last edited by SonnyRider on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:16 am

Mmm the lithium in the bigger sizes for a guy your weight....I wouldn't recommend it. It's got a lot of grunt and getting it to the edge of window for alight guy is not easy. I think mike Birt said it is like putting a tractor engine on a scooter...which is classically apt. Obviously in the smaller sizes this impact is far less.

Being on the global and a relatively big one at that for your weight (I'm 76kg and use the 5'8 global, awesome construction I looked at a lot and as far as production boards goes hard to beat) I would say you need to be looking at the airush 9m wave. The VX is not really a wave kite at all although the new one has some better drifting properties (the built in some things from the wave) it is really a freestyle low end kite turning Into a freeride kite at its top end.

Rebel in the waves..nah but I've been on record saying this for a number of years. I know guys use them and make them work but when push comes to shove and you start getting into critical sections far too much aspect in that kite. It's a hooked in freeride booster, otherwise why the Fck would they make a dice and a neo.

Yep the 9m wave. As a final note the VX is not bad when the wind is onshore as it flies so damn fast aprons the window. Cross shore average to shit. Although as I said the new VX is a different kite all round. Guys are right you gotta work this kite and earn ya biscuits.

Be warned though, you get on a proper wave kite like the wave and you may find yourself considering a 6m ...the lithuim is a decent all rounder mate and workable in the surf, but honestly the wave will smoke it and honestly at its top end will take you higher if you are thinking of jumping as well :D ...it's a remarkable wave kite right up there with the new BWS, neo, drifter and reo.

I've owned lithuims, 2012 VXs and have demoed at length all kite mentioned here if you are wondering if there is any worth in what I have to say. I loved the 2014 VX but I'm not just a wave rider and dabble in all style...master of none unfortunately :roll:

SonnyRider
Medium Poster

Postby SonnyRider » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:41 am

Yeah, agree with Ozzy

a 9m Wave is a fantastic freestyle kite. It has an amazing range for me. The bottom end, just about going upwind is 20mph on a 134x44 TT and I've been out when it's hit 35mph. Comes on song from 25
I have jumped on the GF's 8m VX from 30, but can use that from 25. It does not have the low end we need

The Wave should be on the top your list

I ride TT and surfboard, master of none

peterheirman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 2002

Postby peterheirman » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:57 pm

The Lithium 8 has grunt for great low end (15knots at 70kgs) and still turns smoothly & quickly.
It has a basic pull which is just enough to take over steep waves but not to pull you off a strapless wave board.

Varial X is a more demanding kite for steering and probably much less good low end for the same size.
Rebel is just speed and jump machine that also turns which some people use the shred waves but not ride waves.

denise
Rare Poster
Local Beach: ilhabela Brazil

Postby denise » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:27 am

thank you so much guys!!!
I am a 1,70 m 63-65 kg.
My lithium 6 is strog, fast turning and stearing. I really really love it. I will try the 8 lithium.
You are right guys, the rebel is just pull and go. good for different condition. Maybe speed come and go circuit
My board is ok, little bit big . Maybe something that hold better on the water and is a little bit less volume. I think will be more "in hand" and I will feel it faster in response and under my feet.
You helped a lot!
many thanks!

Return to “Kitesurfing”