Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Alternate choices (cheaper then Speeds) for light wind

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Alternate choices (cheaper then Speeds) for light wind

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:19 am

Thats true Loco, I used the good old Mosquito Pro I and II kites 5.5 - 7.5 - 9m2 back in the days, the first years :thumb:

But my experience with true "power" foils are not from these, but later, as the vendor where I got my Wipika kites, they were also very experienced competitive buggy riders, so the fastest and most powerful open cell kites were "at hand" so we rode with these too.

I remember trying a small 3.6m2 kite (HQ something ? Cant remember), that kicked ass so hard for its size, that you would not believe it :rollgrin:

Flying around horizontally over the water when flown fast, also heavy guys - great fun :naughty:

Have flown Flysurfer Psycho 4 a lot, especially the 10m2 - great kite (but nothing like the open cell fast types - so opposite kites in every way thinkable).
Have tried the SA19m2 a couple of times, but this type was not for me in light wind (compared to others a bit smaller kites that would do the same for me for some reason, eventhough others found the 19 most powerful) - but almost everybody loved this monster for low wind days.

But you are right - I am hooked to some fast turning and fast flying high depower LEI kites now, which does it for me in waves, and then uses a 13m2 North Dyno for ultimate lightwind (with a freerace or foilboard)

The thing I miss, is the "flying experience" which was sooooo much better with power foils - they fly so much better, so much more interesting and fun (and difficult of course), and can change power in a much faster way than any LEI can !!!
So they joy of flying a good foil is what I miss the most :roll:

8) Peter

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:34 am

Matthieu how does the Aurora15 jump? Height, glide? Any concern on stability/invert/bowties if mess up the jump or the landing in gusty air?

What's hi and low wind range for 200lb (90kg) on a surfboard?

I'm intrigued.

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:03 pm

Kitesurf pics of the Aurora if you scroll down: https://www.facebook.com/groups/PanshKites/

Blake
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sandbanks and Presqu'ile
Favorite Beaches: Mirlo Beach in Hatteras
Style: Old school
Gear: Board Riding Maui and Ocean Rodeo
Has thanked: 0

Postby Blake » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:16 pm

Mattthieu

I have both a CLOUD 17m V1 and a AURORA 19m, with lots of time on both. If you have any questions PM me and I will try and help you out.
Plus I'm in Ontario....

Blake

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:42 pm

Hey Blake I'd love to hear the Aurora vs Cloud comparison when you have a little time. Please let us know what you know.

MonkeyAir
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby MonkeyAir » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:55 am

Hi Kamakuza
The PL charger two is the best wave twin skin kite that VO has produced. It has the old typical arc unbeatable no hand stability over your head. Turns well, boosts well and has the most power per size of any previous twin skin. The profile is thicker than the C1 and the tips are redesigned as well as other very substantial behavior related changes. Depower is on par with the C one or maybe a bit better. Still a C shape kite but a really great one. Used the 15c2 in bugger all wind where we had all come in on our big tube kites. Through it up just for the heck of it to test it's flying characteristics on the beach and a few snow kiters driving up the CA coast walked down to the beach to ask about it. We wondered if it would get me going in that junk no wind on the twenty meter line set I had it set up with. The wind was really over but tried just to test ability of the kite to stay in the air as I drifted towards it. Amazed that the soft kite was looping on the twenty meter line set and at least kept me upright and going for a short down winder. Yes my tube kite would have felt more solid in the loops but would not have stayed in the air. Using the usual fat fish surfboard it worked very, very well in it's normal wind range on the twenties. Should have put a set of 24 or 25 meter lines on it to be fair or even 30 meters like the old days to get max grunt. Used a very long throw bar which added heaps more depower and verified the stability of the design in rapping sheeting out and then back in.
The charger works well for a DTL wave kite in smaller sizes and can be done with the 15 especially if you are used to arcs. Aaron Jarmon did not win those wave comps against the tube riders back in the day because arcs don't work. For crying out loud, he was on a 19 m Venom one back then with a surfboard. Of course the new Ctwo kites are light years better than then. For onshore wave stuff non DTL they are great in all sizes. Used the 12 m C one and 15m C1 extensively in the waves with good results quite a few years ago now. One of my local instructors only has an old 10 m C1 as his every day anything kite with a surfboard. He is a light guy (160lbs) and can get away with it. For years, I really did not think there was a better all around high wind kite for waves than an arc twin skin. They would eat gusts, were super quick and very safe with a total flag out one line safety. They are still good wave kites. The tube kites have just come to age over these last seven years. Sure do wish they were the ulitimate LWK but they just are C kites without the projected needed for that application. Around here people think they are primarily great light wind kites as we used them in crazy low winds with long board surfboards to catch waves. Only tool for the job we had.
I would imagine that if the SUP kite theme is not just a fad, arcs might have a great inroad serving the average kiter for SUP use. Pull an old S arc out of the garage on a long set of lines and give it a shot. They fly so much more like inflato kites these days, especially in stronger winds but even some of the old ones might work well for this application. Bit different approach than a tube, but give it a shot and tell me what you think. Advantage, you can climb up on a stand up paddle board with no hands on the kite, stand up and then start signing. They all have ok gust absorption with out really having to sheet in and out. Maybe eliminate the try to fly with one hand while trying to bury your upwind SUP rail with your other hand nonsense with a tube kite in the light stuff... All kites have their place and lots of the old arcs, foils, tubes, etc in our basements might just have a good application with snow, land or the right water conditions. Guess there always is recycling them for your wife's new valentine hand bag or a car cover for the P wagon. Cool to open up the mind to possibilities. It is fun to be able to modify old arcs and create new machines. Love my tube kites as well. Having a family means looking at what is already in the garage and to find new ways to have fun with it.
Cheers

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:18 am

MonkeyAir wrote: Going to check out the new PL open cell snow kites and check bottom end and depower range. Their tube kites rock but for travel and super light stuff, as you know, nothing beats a foil. Really did dig the old waterfoils from back in the day.
Let us know what you find on the new PL snowkites. Always of interest.

A 15-16m Blade would be nice with a depower system...and it's so easy to make a one-pulley depower mixer with an AOA limiter. I could crank one out in 10 minutes. That would really be close to a Speed 21 in low end I would think.

Typically when a friend is on his Speed3-21 I'm on a 10.5. Blade, and when he's on his Speed3-12 I'm on a 6.6.

Would be cool to see what PL is coming up with in the depower bridled foil department so please share. And the others (HQ Pansh Flexifoil Ozone Flysurfer Elf). Great travel options.

MonkeyAir
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby MonkeyAir » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:01 am

Will do Loco

Will try and get some feedback from one of their team snow kiters.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:15 am

Mmm... thanks MonkeyAir.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:23 am

There is NO alternate for the Speed IMO. ITS worth the money!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”