Sauble Beach, Ontario, Canada
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish surfboards, Rogue Twin Tips, Slingshot kites and Best Kahoona kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Any reviews on the the Axon 5'6" WTF

Postby jpbed135 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:31 pm

Has anyone ridden this board? Have any views? I've heard a few good things ...

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Re: Any reviews on the the Axon 5'6" WTF

Postby Séb » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:23 pm

I just got one! Quality wise it look identical to my 2012 Nugget. The shape is similar also but the Axon is 5'6" and got a more narrow nose. The pads, fins are very good quality. Here is a picture of the Axon over my Nugget, you only see the tail of the Nugget that is slightly larger :

As you can see the double concave is also as pronounced as on the Nugget. I might be able to try and compare it to the Nugget this Sunday.

Séb
Frequent Poster

Postby Séb » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:54 pm

Had a nice session on my new Axon WTF surf yesterday but was a little more windy then what I need to test. Wind was around 20 knots and I was on a 11m kite. I had a lot of fun, the board is fast, goes upwind as great as my Nugget but I really need to test in LW before I can conclude anything solid. Of course it would be better to compare the low end with the new Nugget because the shape is now much closer to the Axon but it will not be possible for me.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:58 pm

Just checked...the Axon is a 1/4 inch thicker at 2 5/8" but not as wide at 20 1/8 inches

66 x 20.12 (AR 3.28) versus 60 x 21.0 (AR 2.85)

I do not think it will be as fun and loose or go in less wind

You tell us

We wait patiently for the real light stuff...........7-8 knots

Merci

Séb
Frequent Poster

Postby Séb » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:15 pm

I don't really care if it is not as fun in LW but that is my guess too, I think it should be very similar to the 2014 Nugget as the Nugget 2014 should have an AR of 3,10. But if I can ride in about the same low wind as my actual 2012 Nugget I will be extremely happy, even if it is not as playful. I will also try to compare the low end to a Shinn King George 150x50. For me, I want this board to replace a LW TT so it need to work in the same low wind. That is the main reason why I was interested in that board.

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Style: Strapless surfboard & strapless foiling
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Postby SonnyRider » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:58 pm

How are you getting on with the Axon now?

Is it good enough to replace your King George?

Séb
Frequent Poster

Postby Séb » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:16 pm

SonnyRider wrote:How are you getting on with the Axon now?

I didn't really never own a KG but I am the "tech guys" at a kite shop so I try hard to ride all the products that we sell so I had few rides with the KG 150x50 and few also on the Axon WTF. The Axon is better then the KG in LW, start planning earlier, go upwind much easier and pass through the lull also easier because of the better flotation. Two years ago I was kiting in LW with a Speed3 21m but with a LW TT. In 2013 I was riding with a Core XR3 15m with the Axon WTF or the North Nugget or the Fone Fish 5'10" and all of theses boards are better then the KG 150x50 who is still one of the very good LW TT. I weight 195lbs and I can ride in the same very LW then anyone with a Speed21m IF he use a TT. To rate the different boards that I have tried lately in term only of LW capacity I would say:

1- Fone Fish 5'10"
2- North Nugget
3- Axon WTF
4- Shinn KG 150x50

The difference between the three surf is extremely narrow. And with my better ability now with the surf I am pretty confident that I can do as good on the Axon then the Nugget. Only the Fish 5'10" still have a slight advantage BUT it is really not as fun as the other two and not as great when the wind pickup. So I sold the Fish. The difference between the TT and the LW surf is much more evident. For 2014 I plan on using a different kite and also a different board for LW to try to do better. Where I kite we get unfortunately a lot of LW days. I mean below 12 knots. So at my weight I need to get the best gears and I do try a lot of kites/boards combo in a season :wink:

I feel that the Axon WTF is a very good LW kite that do well also in higher wind but is not as playful as a Nugget. The price is attractive. At this moment we are not even an Axon dealer but there is a good chance that we go with this brand in the near future because I was very happy with the products and all the components. Just strange that they do not seem well known.

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Style: Strapless surfboard & strapless foiling
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Postby SonnyRider » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:42 pm

Interesting, thanks

When I was 238 I used to have a KG 140x46 & with my zephyr I could do 12kts

I weigh in at 215 now and can ride a 135x44 Shinn Dundee flying a 14m Catalyst at 12kts

I have liquid force fish that gives me a knot or two lower than this, just, with the Zephyr

I sold the KG and replaced it with a W18, while it is no LW board, it does get me through those gusty on off days

I do have a C1 6'3" Swallow tail, but I'm not good enough for lighter wind with that just yet. I also have a 5'8" Active Choptop, which is similar wind range to the C1. But again, I'm not good enough for lighter days with that. I am finding strapless easier and helps gives me a better low end

As I'm typing I'm coming to the conclusion, I need to spend more time of the SB's as they will give me what i need. Instead of something else to learn and spend money on :oops: :roll:

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:10 pm

Séb wrote:
SonnyRider wrote:How are you getting on with the Axon now?

I didn't really never own a KG but I am the "tech guys" at a kite shop so I try hard to ride all the products that we sell so I had few rides with the KG 150x50 and few also on the Axon WTF. The Axon is better then the KG in LW, start planning earlier, go upwind much easier and pass through the lull also easier because of the better flotation. Two years ago I was kiting in LW with a Speed3 21m but with a LW TT. In 2013 I was riding with a Core XR3 15m with the Axon WTF or the North Nugget or the Fone Fish 5'10" and all of theses boards are better then the KG 150x50 who is still one of the very good LW TT. I weight 195lbs and I can ride in the same very LW then anyone with a Speed21m IF he use a TT. To rate the different boards that I have tried lately in term only of LW capacity I would say:

1- Fone Fish 5'10"
2- North Nugget
3- Axon WTF
4- Shinn KG 150x50

The difference between the three surf is extremely narrow. And with my better ability now with the surf I am pretty confident that I can do as good on the Axon then the Nugget. Only the Fish 5'10" still have a slight advantage BUT it is really not as fun as the other two and not as great when the wind pickup. So I sold the Fish. The difference between the TT and the LW surf is much more evident. For 2014 I plan on using a different kite and also a different board for LW to try to do better. Where I kite we get unfortunately a lot of LW days. I mean below 12 knots. So at my weight I need to get the best gears and I do try a lot of kites/boards combo in a season :wink:

I feel that the Axon WTF is a very good LW kite that do well also in higher wind but is not as playful as a Nugget. The price is attractive. At this moment we are not even an Axon dealer but there is a good chance that we go with this brand in the near future because I was very happy with the products and all the components. Just strange that they do not seem well known.
Good stuff.....thanks for taking the time

cowboy
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby cowboy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:37 pm

Are axon still in business?

Pretty much any shop listed as a seller on the axon website has stopped stocking them some time ago.
Also not many updates to their FB page since September last year?

Return to “Kitesurfing”