Drew22
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tpa
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: the best and worst kite graphics on the market

Postby Drew22 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:23 am

I hate to say it but some of the best graphics go to epic.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:08 am

windybrit wrote:
Westozzy wrote:TOP

the kite that flies right for me

BOTTOM

the ones that don't...

But to be a little more constructive on what I find a 'handbag' convo I think a clever graphic design on a kite is one that identifies the kite straight away even from a little distance from the shore. Some kites you just know what kite and what brand it is straight away...
Agree.... to me Slingshot and Ozone are the most instantly recognizable of what I see where I kite I, suppose Core too, but thats due to their "Henry Ford" colour policy ..

Can't help but spot that high visibility disco north colours....staying alive staying alive, ah ah ah ah staying alive.

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:58 am

The best are Nobile... By far, you see and recognize them from kilometers away...those rainbows look like they were cut out from an Hobby Cat sail or à 1981 windsurfer. If they change them in 2015, I keep my 2013-2014 T5s and 2013 fifty-50... As simple as that.

-Core: i changed my quiver cuz of the color
-Airush: 2013 Colors don't pop... Too dark
-F-one: better in 2014, 2013 too dark
-Cab:too much fla fla... At some point the coating cracks and falls off... Feels like Cotton after. 2014 does not look that good, 2012 was good, 2013 too
-North is fine

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:09 am

Drew22 wrote:I hate to say it but some of the best graphics go to epic.

Why do you "hate to say" ??? are you one more "hater"
Last edited by nikalaitzian on Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile

Postby fdvj » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:45 am

Worst - any thing with crap printed all over it
Best- any thing with simple panel cut design.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:36 am

Gaastra could use some help with matching complimentary colors on the color wheel...the castle logo looks like a cross between a stealth fighter and poseiden's trident...they fly pretty solid...but I dont care for the crude art work...the lack of artistry and creative vision says 'Im a cheap kite' ...solid park and ride kite though...

The best graphics are wainman...they turned a cute rabbit into a menacing badass...
They understand how to mix complimentary colors. They have a theme. They understand kiters are super heros and paint them into a marvel comic...modifying a biohazard symbol as a logo was ingenious...I enjoy seeing the innovative and colorful schemes they come up with...they present our sport to spectators with flair and imagination. ..then again, I think the 'pull like a truck' LAR canopy isnt for me...

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:46 pm

The Best:

Epic. From far they look good, close up even better when you see all the details in the canopy.
Naish: Tasteful colours, Nice tribal details. Kites look good.
Cabrinha: THIS YEAR ONLY Somehow they made the neon dayglo shit WORK this year. every other year these kites have been overwhelmingly hideous excluding a few colours.

Other decent:
Switch: Simple, badass. leave it to NZ to make it work in black.

Worst:

North: Seems strange to me that a company this size who's kites fly as awesome as they do and who's bars are SO good are just SO damn ugly year after year. From slogans like "thuper fantathtic covering their kite to colour schemes that are so ugly you have to defend your sexuality on the beach. Been waiting 3 years for a vegas that didn't look like ass. Let your graphics guy "experiment" but keep an all black or all white edition so we at least can buy a sweet flying kite.

Core: Brand identity YES. Just not a good one.

These are the only ones I can think of that made an impression me. Totally my opionion only. Clearly SOMEONE likes every kite otherwise they'd never have made it.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:05 pm

Yeh some of the writing and slogans etc on my dice kites is just plain insulting!! Must admit I'm getting used to the actual colours though.

windtzu
Medium Poster

Postby windtzu » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:26 pm

Westozzy I agree, but the North kites are looking better. I kind of like the colors on the 13's and 14's. Their earlier kites, I think it was 2010 or so, awful. The North graphic slogan thing, sure it's go to go. Had me wondering if they hired ten year olds in their graphic design dept.

I like the Epic and Airush graphics, but this is all subjective. My girl friend kiters dislike what they call "macho" colors and graphics on kites and boards. But isn't it mostly us boys who kite? Although I do think it's a good idea to color a board something other than black-dark colors, especially on bottom of the board. It's hard enough seeing your twin in bobbing in the swell without camouflage. Ok but that's another topic.

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!

Postby soul19 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:40 pm

Like most I don't base the appearance of the kite over performance but I do find Epic has some of the nicest looking gear on the market. I also find that Naish and Switch have nice looking kites as well. I don't really care for Gaastra, North or nobile but it is based on appearance. I don't mind the look of the Core kites as it reminds me of a functional German design.

James

Return to “Kitesurfing”