Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

the best and worst kite graphics on the market

Forum for kitesurfers
matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: the best and worst kite graphics on the market

Postby matth » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:39 am

golfaroo wrote:Nobody mentioned the Gin kites, especially the URU. They have the best graphics i.m.h.o. Here's the wasabi color URU:

sorry dude but thats almost as bad as some of those olympic outfits.

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby t3rse » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:49 pm

Simple color schemes make for better looking and easier to execute repairs :D

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:07 pm

The one thing I've noticed is that the graphics that are painted or peel and stick aren't as slick as the bare kite material. So if your kite gets dragged over something sharp the paint/sticker will much more likely get caught on it than the kite material alone. The paint gives it grip where as the canopy by itself seems much more slippery. Not much of a worry if you have the perfect beach launch spot.

I'd much rather get a basic, single color kite if it cost less.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:11 pm

norcom wrote:...I'd much rather get a basic, single color kite if it cost less.
absolutely agreed, but sadly it is not the case in the real life.

personally i don't give a rats behind about a graphics, but if you ask me i think graphics are most subjective issue.

my ideal kite graphic would be flat black with the contrast colored size number and modest size brand logo.

if you think art and colors, worst in my opinion are by far the slingshot and switch. their graphics are probably dictated by savings on colorful sail cloth and the guest designrs. north is getting much much better this year leaving its harlequin palette alone, cabrinha still betting on the economically and aerodynamically worthless silkscreen detailing. but of course graphics are not the reason i don't fly these brands...

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:31 pm

Johnny Rotten wrote: From slogans like "thuper fantathtic covering their kite to colour schemes that are so ugly you have to defend your sexuality on the beach.
You, sir, win the funniest quote contest! :wink:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:43 pm

I have the complete opposite opinion, than norcom and eree :wink:

Would happily pay a bit more, if I got a kite exactly as I like it, for one - or at least pay a bit for having the ability to choose between colours.
Simply hate kites with simple uniform colour :x (although I like the "idea" of simplicity, but thats another issue...)

One example is, that I deliberately choose different colours for all my kites, if possible - so my friends can see what size I am using (and they typically do the same - so I can see what size THEY are using - important when riding waves where the wind is often sideshore and you can not see how much wind out at the break - but when you know your friends over years and exactly what they use when you use etc, you know exactly what size to choose, when you take a look at what colours they got out there)

Secondly, a black kite is the worst of all IMO, as you have no chance of being spotted, if you are in trouble far out - compared to a brighter colour :roll:

One of my kites are very black, but has fortunately almost half of it blue and white and purple, which helps (personally one of the best looking ones I've got, but so what...)
This kite is not as "safe" in terms of ability to see and find :(

Colour design is so individual, especially whether simple and clean designs, or lively exiting designs, so will not go into that here....

8) Peter

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby soul19 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:59 pm

I fully agree that it all comes down to the handling of the kites that influence what I buy. You could have the nicest looking kites but if they are lacking in performance than it is money wasted. Like the previous poster has commented... art is in the eye of the beholder. What some may like, others find fault.

James

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:05 pm

i understand you Peter,

but unfortunately most of us kiters are excluded from the list of people who can chose the color of your kite. so far i could chose from only the couple of the color schemes in shop near me.

you can read here in the forum many so often arrogant posts (of course from the affiliated to any given brand persons) about how one color scheme is better than the other, but you can not do much to get the color you really like for yourself.

anyway, black is still my favorite, and i think is quite enough visible. most of merchant ships hulls are painted black for high visibility, and the military vessels are painted in-between black and white for exactly the opposite.
second visible i think is white, but white is too prone to get stained.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: ¤°

Postby POACHER » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:47 pm

Black doesn't stain or look ratty after a season of kiting in stained water, landing in Texas mud, or even some of our weeds will leave stains on kites. I'm a less is more person on graphics. I'm actually in agreement with Eree in terms of a black kite with just the graphic of manufacturer and kite size. Boring, but who cares.

My buddy's few year old Flysurfer Speed 3 21m that was once all white (and awesome looking!) now looks very yellowed and heinous. He calls it the trout belly. :lol:

If I could get the murdered out Cronix, I'd do it.
Straight up ninja/Vader style.....

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: ¤°

Postby POACHER » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:46 pm

Scratch that.....................this is the graphic I want.

Return to “Kitesurfing”