Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The danger of leashes

forum for kitesurfers


JamesVegas
Frequent Poster
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:36 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The danger of leashes

Postby JamesVegas » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:13 pm

North leashes from 2011 (I think) all have a sprung cover that goes past the opening point of the shackle. It's highly unlikely that you could have this kind of injury with the North leash……..

User avatar
MattyRossJa
Medium Poster
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:16 pm
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Maiden Cay , Jamaica
Favorite Beaches: Maiden Cay , Bounty Bay , Round Hill , Pigeon Island (all jamaica)
Style: Freeride learning Freestyle
Gear: 2011 Cabrinha 10 Switchblade ... 2012 Cabrinha Chopstick
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Jamaica

Re: The danger of leashes

Postby MattyRossJa » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:58 pm

JamesVegas wrote:North leashes from 2011 (I think) all have a sprung cover that goes past the opening point of the shackle. It's highly unlikely that you could have this kind of injury with the North leash……..


I was thinking the same. My North leash gets annoying sometimes trying to attach, but I guess in a situation like this it may be a slightly safer option and worth the lil extra hassle in attaching and releasing.

User avatar
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 4040
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:27 am
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Style: unhooked and hooked boots only
Gear: slingshot, north, liquid force, cmb, pansh
Brand Affiliation: wishing I could whore myself out to get free gear, but nope

Re: The danger of leashes

Postby edt » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:17 pm

A simple redesign could make leashes a few dollars cheaper, safer and stronger, just use a lark's head

Image

I think the reason they don't do this is because the people that design leashes aren't kiters, so they don't know how to use a lark's head.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 661
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:49 am
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The danger of leashes

Postby knotwindy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:24 pm

or maybe just switch the clip and ring?
so the clip is on the QR end and is much less likely to be an issue and the ring would be on the end of the leash?

User avatar
droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 593
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:39 am
Kiting since: 2006
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone, MHP
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com
Location: Kite Shop
Contact:

Re: The danger of leashes

Postby droffats » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:29 pm

The Ozone "shorty" leash is halfway there -- larks head around the spreader bar, but it still has the 'biner on the kite end.

- Stafford

User avatar
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 4040
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:27 am
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Style: unhooked and hooked boots only
Gear: slingshot, north, liquid force, cmb, pansh
Brand Affiliation: wishing I could whore myself out to get free gear, but nope

Re: The danger of leashes

Postby edt » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:56 pm

knotwindy wrote:or maybe just switch the clip and ring?
so the clip is on the QR end and is much less likely to be an issue and the ring would be on the end of the leash?


you don't really want clips at all, in addition to the fish hook problem, if a line gets inside the clip instant kite loop

badgb21
Frequent Poster
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:55 am
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: C/Fly, Shinn, Ozone, Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Hants UK

Re: The danger of leashes

Postby badgb21 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:47 pm

I have two of these leashes, how exactly do you mean larks head around the spreader bar?
The rope surely needs to be looped freely to ensure it releases.
A larks head will lock the flow of the rope, won't it?

Kev


droffats wrote:The Ozone "shorty" leash is halfway there -- larks head around the spreader bar, but it still has the 'biner on the kite end.

- Stafford
Attachments
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (61.94 KiB) Viewed 495 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (70.28 KiB) Viewed 495 times
Last edited by badgb21 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 4040
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:27 am
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Style: unhooked and hooked boots only
Gear: slingshot, north, liquid force, cmb, pansh
Brand Affiliation: wishing I could whore myself out to get free gear, but nope

Re: The danger of leashes

Postby edt » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:58 pm

badgb21 wrote:I have two of these leashes, how exactly do you mean larks head around the spreader bar?
The rope surely needs to be looped freely to ensure it releases.
A larks head will lock the flow of the rope, won't it?

Kev


droffats wrote:The Ozone "shorty" leash is halfway there -- larks head around the spreader bar, but it still has the 'biner on the kite end.

- Stafford


There are two ways to do this. 1) the lark's head stays attached to the harness and the whole leash and the rest of the kite release when you hit the QR. 2) you use a lark's head like in my diagram, the lark's head is not directly on the attachment but on a knot on the leash which gives plenty of play.

Either way you can use one or two lark's heads on the leash and zero carabiners it is a simple design decision to include these hooks.

badgb21
Frequent Poster
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:55 am
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: C/Fly, Shinn, Ozone, Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Hants UK

Re: The danger of leashes

Postby badgb21 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:07 pm

These leashes are a single piece, they don't detach into two when you release.
You have a clip one end and a big rope loop on the other.
When you release, the rope loop is undone, the whole thing then flies away with your bar/lines/kite.

Please can you be a bit more specific, I seem to be missing the point.

thanks
Kev






edt wrote:
badgb21 wrote:I have two of these leashes, how exactly do you mean larks head around the spreader bar?
The rope surely needs to be looped freely to ensure it releases.
A larks head will lock the flow of the rope, won't it?

Kev


droffats wrote:The Ozone "shorty" leash is halfway there -- larks head around the spreader bar, but it still has the 'biner on the kite end.

- Stafford


There are two ways to do this. 1) the lark's head stays attached to the harness and the whole leash and the rest of the kite release when you hit the QR. 2) you use a lark's head like in my diagram, the lark's head is not directly on the attachment but on a knot on the leash which gives plenty of play.

Either way you can use one or two lark's heads on the leash and zero carabiners it is a simple design decision to include these hooks.
Last edited by badgb21 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 4040
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:27 am
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Style: unhooked and hooked boots only
Gear: slingshot, north, liquid force, cmb, pansh
Brand Affiliation: wishing I could whore myself out to get free gear, but nope

Re: The danger of leashes

Postby edt » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:23 pm

Image

The nice thing about this design is how easy it is to replace that carabiner. You can grab any pigtail they make for lines, and use that instead of a carabiner to attach and detach it to your safety attachment. You lark's head the ozone shorty to the pigtail (sew it to lock it in if u want), run the pigtail thru the safety and lark's head it to itself, to undo you just undo the lark's head.

Leashes usually have that carabiner sewn on so it's more difficult to replace.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alamos_kiter and 13 guests