Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

kite Pump Concept Design

forum for kitesurfers

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Re: kite Pump Concept Design

Postby edt » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 pm

I've designed a packable kite pump, haven't built a prototype yet. It is 6 inches by 6 inches by 2 inches and inflates via a pull handle (the same way you start up a chainsaw). It's for traveling or if if you want to have multi-day trip and want to pack a pump, stuff like that.

The problem with designing a "better pump" is that you can buy a new airhead pump for $12, so you have to be pretty careful about the price point no matter how good you make it.

For your design I would be very careful about where you put the air intake. If it is near the base sand will get in and ruin the gaskets the first time you use it. There is one pump I bought that had air intake and outflow near the base, I couldn't even pump up a single kite with it, sand got in and ruined the gaskets.

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise

Postby Geronimo79 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:00 pm

I personally like the idea alot. Aslong as it works as it should and the more air it pumps the better.

My only concern is the development and costs. Molds for things like this can be very expensive and how about the production costs compeared to a standard pump thats widely available and cheap.

Personally i would like to to see the pump for real if it works.

kob
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 5
Local Beach: tel aviv
Favorite Beaches: bet yanay
Style: all arownd
Gear: blade kites
Brand Affiliation: blade

Postby kob » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:07 pm

thanks Geronimo79 its very nice of you...

edt, thanks for the comment, ill think of it...

zfennell, im working on the inner part, and i have the all mechanics knowledge from bike pump and from the normal kite pump... ill upload some new version of the first one soon.

thanks for the advice guys... its really open the mind for new ideas

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:31 pm

Great idea!

Please get a provisional patent FAST. While we have many smart kiters that provide great feedback on the forum, its crawling with industry reps who read every thread religiously. Obama streamlined the patent process and made online filing cheap and easy for inventors now.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:46 pm

a provisional patent only lasts for a year. My feeling about patents is that if you have one good idea you will have another different good idea later, and it is better to develop the contacts by sharing than to squirrel away all your ideas inside a secret book. Inventors invent, they can't help it. If you only have one great invention in your life then you aren't much of an inventor.

I say don't worry too much about getting it patented.

skyte
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: FLEXIFOIL

Postby skyte » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:46 pm

I love the way this could be som much more travel friendly and kite bag friendly!

Perhaps make each end of the rectangular section semi-circular as this might be better for creating a rubber seal.

You could probably 3d print most of this on a website like www.imaterialise.com but you might need some sort of cylinder liner fo a good seal and it would be the most expensive kite pump ever!

Do it anyway!

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Habo Ljung, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards 5-0
TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 135
Moses Fluente 548/550/590/330/325
North Mono 7, 9, 12
Ozone Reo 5
Ozone Hyperlink 9UL
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TomW » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:20 pm

KOB,
I'm an industrial designer and been in product development a long time.
The is a lot of room for improved kitepump. Just look at bicycle tire pump market 25 years ago compared today. And remember the 25¢ toothbrush ???

Keep working on your concept and kill your darlings.
Think of these aspects:
Following basic physics, engineering and manufacturing principles will enable realistic price point and quality.
Basic ergonomics and how body works in relation to task at hand. Reduce effort and increase comfort.
Transport and convenience.
These things always override what a product looks like.

Br Tom

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:38 pm

If you intend to get a kickstarter campaign out there, the provisional will protect your prototype.
Once its up on kickstarter the world can steal your invention.
It affords you time until you go into full production and the full blown patent.
Going no patent is fine...until you get an email out of the blue with a cease and desist ordering you to hand over all your materials... its just the american way of doing business...

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 12
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:30 pm

TomW wrote:KOB,
I'm an industrial designer and been in product development a long time.
The is a lot of room for improved kitepump. Just look at bicycle tire pump market 25 years ago compared today. And remember the 25¢ toothbrush ???

Keep working on your concept and kill your darlings.
Think of these aspects:
Following basic physics, engineering and manufacturing principles will enable realistic price point and quality.
Basic ergonomics and how body works in relation to task at hand. Reduce effort and increase comfort.
Transport and convenience.
These things always override what a product looks like.

Br Tom

Agreed keep on it man!!!

Ps given the same height and circular diameter equalling the rectangular cross section width my calcs are correct volume wise by the way. That's a significant volume difference.
Last edited by Westozzy on Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

JDMsquirrel
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Southampton, UK

Postby JDMsquirrel » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:40 pm

Hi. Kitesurfing obsessed patent attorney here. You would struggle to get investment in your product/business unless you protect it. You may be taken more seriously.

If you have an innovative product don't make it public until you have filed something. You can rely on a 1 year US grace period after you make it public, but most countries don't allow this- definitely not Europe (a big market). Plus don't file anything until you have serious commitment or lots of money. Once you start the patent process costs increase hugely and you can't stop or delay those costs without losing your rights to the patent application.

You could achieve 20 years protection/monopoly/royalties if patentable. Registered Design is an additional or alternative route - protects the aesthetic look/shape. This is cheaper and more straightforward.

Ignore comments about industry people or anyone getting their own patent on this and litigating against you for your own product. If you have revealed the product publically before they have filed anything then they cannot get a valid patent to enforce against you. Unless they already have something filed that covers your product or they go on to develop a technical feature you havent revealed, which turns out to be important for the pump to work.

They could just develop and sell a copy of your product and gamble that you may not get protection, or enforce it if you did.

Return to “Kitesurfing”