All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: 2013 Naish Torch
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:31 pm 
Frequent Poster

Just bought a 9m Naish Torch (2013). Been a long time since I flew a true "C" kite (owned several fleixfoil strikes and north rhino's back in the day). Coming off of RRD Obsessions which are very fast, powerful and depower a large amount, but can be very "Twitchy" unhooked. Really looking forward to trying the freestyle on the Torch (currently landing S-bends, F16's, Railey-Blind and working on blind judge). Any tips or suggestions on settings, wind range.... etc.
82kg, Shinn monk 134cm. Any advice much appreciated.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: 2013 Naish Torch
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:34 pm 
Frequent Poster

Make sure that the 5th line is properly trimmed. Have used Naish 5 line C-kites until 2010 and the principle is still the same. Bar fully powered and the 5 th line in the part between the kite and the V split should sag just a little bit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:48 pm 
Frequent Poster

thanks, comes with the 2013 bar and lines so should be fine. I assume the Naish 5th line has a small bit of slack in it when fully powered and gets a bit slacker as you depower ? Its not a tensioned 5th like on some kites where they support the shape ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:34 am 
Frequent Poster

It IS tensioned and support the shape! (here i wrote some nonsense i deleted)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:24 pm 
Frequent Poster

As written above, it is tensioned. Slight slack when fully powered to tensioned when depowered. I believe there are still some knots on that part of the line so you can adjust.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:55 pm 
Frequent Poster

To help clarify

The upper part of the 5th stays tensioned at ALL times,
The lower part of the 5th needs to be long enough to ensure the upper part will rest on the stopper at the Y at ALL times so

Basically you are trying to make sure the 5th line tension on the KITE doesn't change with the movement of the bar or pulling of depower.

If the upper part of the 5th goes out of tune even a little the kite behaves very badly, Mine was less than an inch too long at one point and the kite Backstalled like a Cabrinha.

However this was invisible on the lower part of the 5th. It would be slack when depowered and tight when powered up.

[ 6 posts ]