2014 Airush Sector V5 vs 2014 Cabrinha

Forum for kitesurfers
shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

2014 Airush Sector V5 vs 2014 Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:01 pm

Anyone notice that when Cabrinha comes out with a 4 fin lightwind Alias to compete with the Sector, Airush moves to a 3 fin setup on all of their boards...

http://www.airush.com/2014/boards/sector-v5/

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Re: 2014 Airush Sector V5 vs 2014 Cabrinha

Postby MikeBirt » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:34 pm

It's true, rode the final proto in Spain at the end of last season. The new sectors have changed, and last season they were standard with 3 fins too remember, the V5 continues on 3.
V1, V2, V3 60's were all 4 fin, V4 and V5 are 3 fin.
When I was using the V3, I swapped the quad config for tri, and for my style of riding, I always preferred a tri fin setup.
We get the new Slayers, sectors and monaro's in the UK in about 2 weeks from now..

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:55 pm

I'm pretty sure the sector V4 had boxes for 3 fin or 4 fin setups?

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada

Postby shawn13 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:03 pm

The V4 did have the option for 3 fin standard and 4 fin optional set up as well. V5 i guess proves 3 fin is best.

I just sold a V2 which had the 4 fin set up. I noticed the V5 has front cant but more of a surf style fin slope back rather than the edgy race style of the older sectors and Cabrinha alias.

I'm very curious to see how these new sectors ride, and how the Monaro Slalom performs as ill be looking for a new light wind board this summer.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:31 pm

I reckon that 65 Slalom is going to work very well as an entertaining lightwind board.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron

Postby shawn13 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:44 am

ronnie wrote:I reckon that 65 Slalom is going to work very well as an entertaining lightwind board.
I think I agree with you.

One of the biggest mistakes is that the Sector V5 and the Alias are the same colour blue. What a bad choice considering the red and black colour scheme they choose for the Monaro Slalom is one of the sharpest board colours I've ever seen!

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Postby MikeBirt » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:14 am

I've ridden both the V5 and the Monaro...
New sector 60 V5 is for sure easier and less technical than the V4 and V3. I'd say that they are akin to the V2 in ease of use, but much faster though. Fins are smaller, they are much more stable in carve, and generally much more plug and play.

The Monaro Slalom is a very interesting board. I've traditionally not been a fan of the flat box rule race boards, bit of a love hate relationship with them. The Monaro slalom is a lot easier to use though, yet you still have to ride it flat. It takes quite a bit of front foot pressure and you have keep reminding it to bare off, but it's very fast and stable. Riding a flat, big finned board, so fast across the wind is an unusual feeling but it's extremely quick. Upwind is very good (obviously not what it was designed to do) but those fins cant help but point if you ask them to.

If someone wants something a little more challenging (tecnically) than the V3 or V4 then the Monaro Slalom is the logical progression, but for the mainstream market the V5 sector is for sure a step in the right direction. I did think the V4 was getting a bit too technical for hangover riding.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:24 am

Monaro Slalom.

Red board, blue shorts, Monaro slalom prototype.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron

Postby shawn13 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:39 pm

Those boards look sick! :thumb:

Schmidy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Airush
Been thanked: 0

Postby Schmidy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:10 pm

shawn13 wrote:Those boards look sick! :thumb:
The boards look sick, but also are really fun. I am not a big fan of the course racing boards, but the Monaro Slalom has a more jump-on-and-go feeling. Takes a few tacks to dial in but definitely get into it after a few minutes if you are familiar with Sectors. If you are all about badass speed, definitely recommend the Monaro Slalom.

Return to “Kitesurfing”