Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

speedball shinn for waveriding or...other board?

Forum for kitesurfers
ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: speedball shinn for waveriding or...other board?

Postby ronnie » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:55 pm

SonnyRider wrote:I ride a Dundee 134x44 and have a W18 Speedball. I weigh 97kgs

The Dundee is the better all rounder, handle waves very well.

The Speedball does handle waves, but can be hard work on cross on winds, due to having to get out back. Depends how big the waves are. If they are not big or you have sections you can get out through and with the flatter sections in between, it is great fun
It carves like no other TT, it is easy to slide around, so it has a kind of skim board feel. But it can lock in and carve very well.
The foot pressure is different, i.e. more front biased. I find an even foot pressure and it works well. More back foot when the board is flat and it will slide out, dig the back foot in the water and it will carve upwind, get that bit right and you can slide and carve upwind whilst going along, catching those waves, awesome fun 8)
I love slashing waves with it toeside :cool2:

It floats over the white water better than the Dundee, the Dundee handles that well too, just not as well as the Speedball
The Speedball is good for gusty marginal days due to it's width and shortness. Gives you that extra time to wang the kite around to get that little bit more power from the lulls

It does take a while to get fully dialled in, but it does a very good job once you get the feel for it

It is not aimed at flat water, it does it all. It's a good fun board, that encourages you to play around
I find it's not so comfortable in choppy water, but it is better than a King George. This is due to the rounded corners, so it does cut through the chop, but the width kind'a makes it harder.
The width can make it harder to get over some of the bigger waves as well. Not impossible, just be prepared to sometimes smash your way out :lol:

Get a demo, make up your own mind. Some like it, some don't
Which of those two is the better light wind board for you?

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Style: Strapless surfboard & strapless foiling
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Postby SonnyRider » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:09 pm

Sorry, not tried a W16. I believe they are better for lighter people.
That said, my GF had a go on the W18 in light wind and liked it. She doesn't like it so much in anything but light wind tho'

Which is the best lightwind for me?

I would say the W18, the low end in lulls is 12mph, the Dundee I need a good 14mph before I can get up and going. The W18 is similar, but I can keep going in the lulls
The W18 is not a lightwind board tho' it wasn't designed to be one, unless you're light

The W18 is better for those days when the wind is not consistent

Make sense?

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:17 pm

SonnyRider wrote:

I would say the W18, the low end in lulls is 12mph, the Dundee I need a good 14mph before I can get up and going. The W18 is similar, but I can keep going in the lulls
The W18 is not a lightwind board tho' it wasn't designed to be one, unless you're light

Make sense?
Well explained. :thumb:

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby windybrit » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:12 pm

BTW...... If anyone wants a 2013 135 x 44 Shinn Dundee, I have one for sale..... Used less than a dozen times. It's a great board but I have too many ..... :)

oceansprince
Medium Poster
Local Beach: chios contari
Favorite Beaches: prasonisi
Style: waveride freestyle
Gear: cabrinha , wainman hawaii
Been thanked: 0

Postby oceansprince » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:06 pm

SonnyRider wrote:Sorry, not tried a W16. I believe they are better for lighter people.
That said, my GF had a go on the W18 in light wind and liked it. She doesn't like it so much in anything but light wind tho'

Make sense?
Mark Shinn wrote..

""Riding a TT in waves is tricky as you would need a very large, very powerful wave to drive a 138 x 41... it's a very small board and kite power is a pre-requisite.
The W18 has more width (47cm) and this translates into more glide. You can make a tighter turn on a narrower board however the width means it planes through turns and floats over the white water better than a narrower board. You certainly can ride waves with much less power than normal.
The W16 is narrower (43cm) however still the same length 132cm. This board will carve tighter and is easier to handle for lighter weight riders.
At 82 kg you are in the middle ground, either size would work for you, I suggest the W18 if you want to use the kite as little as possible or the W16 if you still want to take some power
Regards
Mark Shinn ""

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)
Has thanked: 0

Postby MikeBirt » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:54 am

I'm a bit late to this discussion, but if you are riding waves and over 80kg in weight, no doubt you want W18. Like they say, the glide allows you much more versatility in getting where you need to be with speed and power. For such a wide board you can pin down unfeasibly large amounts of power, so it's quite unique.
Slippery through the water they are also feeling very small underfoot, and build apparent wind with hardly any power. For heavyweights they are very good - give you so much more range with the same feel as a tiny board...
I had a fantastic session slightly underpowered on a W18 in swell recently. Really loved the board, so smooth and versatile.
W16 is for lighter riders, but as the speedball's get smaller they get closer to the dimensions of a normal board and their speedball'ness start to diminish. I had a sneaky go on a prototype super wide speedball recently. It was very interesting..

oceansprince
Medium Poster

Postby oceansprince » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:43 pm

thanx guys for the replies, im very close to W18 speedball.. and to axis twin wave.. Axis twin wave its a new board and is difficult to find reviews , or to compare it with speedball.. i had some good thoughts from two guys that try it .. if someone have any thought about comparison these two boards could help me.. The only thing i know is that axis is not so loose feeling but more rails (i dont like that) .. but is faster.( i like that)

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:59 pm

oceansprince wrote:thanx guys for the replies, im very close to W18 speedball.. and to axis twin wave.. Axis twin wave its a new board and is difficult to find reviews , or to compare it with speedball.. i had some good thoughts from two guys that try it .. if someone have any thought about comparison these two boards could help me.. The only thing i know is that axis is not so loose feeling but more rails (i dont like that) .. but is faster.( i like that)
Maybe not so new?
It may be the same as the Underground SRF?

http://www.kiteworldmag.com/gear/underground-srf/

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kite ... d-SRF-148/

oceansprince
Medium Poster

Postby oceansprince » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:00 pm

So, Ronnie what do u think? compares with W18 ?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:36 am

Axis Twin Wave has 1/2 surfboard rails - they curve up from the bottom like erm a surfboard but have a flat top like a TT. Also has a double concave bottom, but I can't remember how severe it is. Very unlike a W18, I imagine...

Return to “Kitesurfing”