kite insurance

Forum for kitesurfers
NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

kite insurance

Postby NYKiter » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:54 pm

Has anyone had any experiences with any of the various kite insurance policies out there?
As a rider or instructor does anyone have any stories to tell about how well or how poorly they performed during a real accident?

I have heard that if a kiter injures a bystander they may as well say goodbye to their house.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Re: kite insurance

Postby Bille » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 pm

This is the Second Thread about Kite-insurance, in two days ; Gunnar made
another one today :
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2384015

That said , i'm going to get insured , as soon as people in the know
start to mention which one is better or worst than the other ? I chose
this thread because it was posted first.

I never hit an actual human with my kite, but i bin taken out Twice ; no damage
to me either time, but my luck might change.

Bille

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby KYLakeKiter » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:20 pm

I'm with you on this one Bille. I have never hit a human with a kite either, but I have banged the heck out of a beach where a human could have been. Always better to be lucky than good.

I am also looking to see who has had a good (or not so good) experience with one of the kite insurance carriers. Its not worth it if you don't have good faith that the company will take care of the insured, and more importantly their unsuspecting victims if an unfortunate accident occurs.

I am all for doing the right thing, and think this is a good idea.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NYKiter » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:46 pm

oops, will check that out. :jump:

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:04 pm

NYKiter wrote:oops, ...
No oops ; yours was First by a day.

Here is WHY i wanna hear what people have to say about Kite insurance :

So i Google , (( kiteboarding insurance)), and the First one that pops up in
the search is
IKO.

UAH, and where did i see That name ? OH i remember, (after a short search)
it was here :
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2383383&hilit=IKO
kiwimike wrote:as many of you know i have been posting about my dealings with iko on kite forum for some time since they screwed me over some time ago. i thank kite forum for allowing me to do this. i have made dozens of posts and sent countless emails to iko and their affiliated schools. i have only ever had one response from iko and that was a threat to sue me which never materialised. now i challenge fred bene to dispute what i have been posting on kite forum. go on i dare you. i know you read these posts as you threatened to sue me minutes after i made one of my posts. fred you seem to have about as much backbone as you have business ethics. grow a spine and defend yourself.
And you want to know WHY i want feed-back ; "Before" i spend my money ??

Bille

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:14 pm

Bille wrote:
NYKiter wrote:oops, ...
No oops ; yours was First by a day.

Here is WHY i wanna hear what people have to say about Kite insurance :

So i Google , (( kiteboarding insurance)), and the First one that pops up in
the search is
IKO.

UAH, and where did i see That name ? OH i remember, (after a short search)
it was here :
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2383383&hilit=IKO
kiwimike wrote:as many of you know i have been posting about my dealings with iko on kite forum for some time since they screwed me over some time ago. i thank kite forum for allowing me to do this. i have made dozens of posts and sent countless emails to iko and their affiliated schools. i have only ever had one response from iko and that was a threat to sue me which never materialised. now i challenge fred bene to dispute what i have been posting on kite forum. go on i dare you. i know you read these posts as you threatened to sue me minutes after i made one of my posts. fred you seem to have about as much backbone as you have business ethics. grow a spine and defend yourself.
And you want to know WHY i want feed-back ; "Before" i spend my money ??

Bille
Get the IKA insurance. It's the same company that does the insurance for the VDWS (German Windsurf/Kite/Watersports Teaching Org.) http://www.internationalkiteboarding.or ... surancetop

--
Gunnar

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:17 pm

Well I can tell you a few years ago there was some damned org (IKO IKA XYZ or KGB I forget) that issued for $50 a package including a "license" or certificate that included the right to launch at a certain spot, a year subscription to a kite magazine that went out of business before before delivering anything, and supposedly $500,000 or $1,000,000 in liability coverage. A couple of inquiries revealed that basically some 2 bit clowns operating from behind a strip mall in the OBX had bought the right to use the kiting organization's name on their "insurance." Also revealed that the "insurance" involved was for practical purposes worthless. Never bought insurance for kiting again.

Keep that true story in mind and do your homework before buying "kitesurf insurance."

Personal insurance in the US including homeowners policies usually has some personal liability coverage which can come in handy if you accidentally injure somebody majorly.
For little things like a torn kite (or for example a camera cleaning), you probably ought to just work it out directly to avoid legal issues, premium hikes, insurance adjusters, etc. Often best to eat the cost and forget about it.
Damages in the $2,000 to $10,000 range can be a tougher call whether it's worth it try to deal directly with a hopefully honest involved party, or go the insurance or legal route.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NYKiter » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:44 pm

http://www.internationalkiteboarding.or ... surancetop

Hmm...before purchasing this insurance I attempted to send an email to make contact but there is no where to enter the captcha and it hangs....

kiwimike
Medium Poster
Local Beach: pattaya
Favorite Beaches: surfersparadise
Style: all
Gear: cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kiwimike » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:37 am

you can find sudwestring insurance on my website. it is difficult to get insurance in thailand so i am not sure if they are any good. infact i have never heard of anyone making a successful claim. IKO used to premote this company for their affiliated schools.

http://kitesafeassociation.com/insurance.php

infact you got a discount from this company if you were IKO affiliated but now this insurance company does not see any benefit to being IKO affiliated and so no longer offer any discount. i suspect iko were making a kickback off having their schools insured before as they dont seem to care if their affiliated schools are insured any more.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NYKiter » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:59 pm

Just an FYI SudwestRing just told me they would not insure me as a USA instructor.

due to the reason that your main residence and your training site are in the USA,
we have to decline the request for quotation and the insurance cover.
Therefore, we kindly ask you to contact a local insurance broker.

Return to “Kitesurfing”