Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone Chrono - High Performance DePower Foil For All Surface

Forum for kitesurfers
pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ozone Chrono - High Performance DePower Foil For All Sur

Postby pmaggie » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:04 am

Yesterday I eventually tested the FS Lotus 12. First impressions, to be honest, were not so good. The kite pulls like a truck (can't imagine the Chrono...), but this can be a plus if like it. What I frankly did not like was the behaviour in gusty conditions. When a gust hits, the sail pulls immediately in a "on-off" way, very different from my Core XR2 15LW. My sail "absorbs" the gust, just release the bar. The FS was jerking me at every gust.
Also, about turning I found not really "slow", the impression is there's a delay between the impulse at the bar and the beginning of the turn. Once the kite begin to turn, it moves fast and pulls strong. Again, my Core is far more progressive: being a 15, it does not turn very fast but the action is smooth, it reacts immediately to the bar input beginning the turn, then it follows its arch to the zenith. Very easy and predictable.
What I really appreciated of the FS was the hang time: really, really impressive, far more than my Core.
Keep in mind I never rode a foil, so take my two cents for what they worth.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:22 am

pmaggie wrote:Yesterday I eventually tested the FS Lotus 12. First impressions, to be honest, were not so good. The kite pulls like a truck (can't imagine the Chrono...), but this can be a plus if like it. What I frankly did not like was the behaviour in gusty conditions. When a gust hits, the sail pulls immediately in a "on-off" way, very different from my Core XR2 15LW. My sail "absorbs" the gust, just release the bar. The FS was jerking me at every gust.
Also, about turning I found not really "slow", the impression is there's a delay between the impulse at the bar and the beginning of the turn. Once the kite begin to turn, it moves fast and pulls strong. Again, my Core is far more progressive: being a 15, it does not turn very fast but the action is smooth, it reacts immediately to the bar input beginning the turn, then it follows its arch to the zenith. Very easy and predictable.
What I really appreciated of the FS was the hang time: really, really impressive, far more than my Core.
Keep in mind I never rode a foil, so take my two cents for what they worth.
That's exactly what foils are like... they're a whole other thing. Either you adapt or you use the kite in different locations where gusts don't matter.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:57 am

Kamikuza, unfortunately on our lake there are more gusts than fishes :D
Joking, anyway here in Como lake it is normally gusty, not strong gusts or the 0-100-0 situation, but the thermal win is rarely smooth. There are I think in my spot 4/5 foils and a hundred of pumps, but I think it's not only a matter of the kite behaviour, it's also a matter of price. Here in Italy you can find a good kit (kite complete ~12 mts. + board) for about 1400/1550 euros. The FS 12 only complete with bar costs 1800 euro. Add the board and you're easily over 2000.
Anyway, In lightwind foils rule, the big FS are the only kites flying when it's really light here on the lake.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:20 pm

pmaggie wrote:Kamikuza, unfortunately on our lake there are more gusts than fishes :D
Joking, anyway here in Como lake it is normally gusty, not strong gusts or the 0-100-0 situation, but the thermal win is rarely smooth. There are I think in my spot 4/5 foils and a hundred of pumps, but I think it's not only a matter of the kite behaviour, it's also a matter of price. Here in Italy you can find a good kit (kite complete ~12 mts. + board) for about 1400/1550 euros. The FS 12 only complete with bar costs 1800 euro. Add the board and you're easily over 2000.
Anyway, In lightwind foils rule, the big FS are the only kites flying when it's really light here on the lake.
Yup. I don't use my foils here in winter cos the wind is just too damn punchy and can be bloody murder to try it keep in the air - or your arms and spine in their sockets. Smooth wind in late-spring to early-autumn though - magic!

holden
Medium Poster

trim

Postby holden » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:02 am

i did a little modification for my chrono 18 i want to share cause it is great in my opinion. it is for all of you who have the feeling that the kite could turn faster, has too much steering force, features too much slack in backlines when fully depowered and who care for a little bit more depower.

i moved the knot that controls the break 3cm up = all breaks 3cm longer. in addition to that i shortened the inner 3 breaks (each side) back by 1cm (with a figure 8 knot in the according bridle lines) = those are only 2cm longer now.

ozone managed to totally get rid of backstalls on the chrono but they did a little bit too much in my opinion. with this little change the kite is still not prone to backstall at all, however if you really ask for it you will get it.

(keep in mind that in time the lines that run through the pullies will shorten so you will have to move the brake knot back down again to compensate that.)

for me the kite feels very, very, very comfortable now. when i do frontroll jumps with overhead kiteloop, the kite is done with the kiteloop when i land. also when on the upper side of the windrange it is a lot easier to turn the kite to send it which results in a few more meters of big air.

one more big air tip: when the kite is on its way up, depower it as much as possible. long arms and seat harnes help. take off before the kite reaches the zenit. concentrate only on the pop. the kite depowers very well so the line tension will not pull you over the edge of your board. right after you are airborne pull in the bar rather slowly, don't yank it as you are used to with other kites. look down and enjoy the view. for a while... on your way down depower the kite a bit and play with the flightpath. depowering the kite will not result in less airtime.

h.

masterred
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sottomarina (Ve) North-est Italy
Favorite Beaches: Barbados
Style: Foiler
Gear: Ozone Chrono 15 v3- Ozone Enduro v2 9- Ozone Alpha 12 - Groove Boards - Hydro Board Hybrid 5.3-Hf Moses Onda 633
Brand Affiliation: Hydrofoil News
Has thanked: 0

Postby masterred » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:05 pm

Love this game :D
play with the Chrono :thumb:
01173c288ca4d5876a4ec9e5629ecf0b9551b56d87.jpg
10516533_10203443199395092_2098722317_o[1].jpg
01c7943b6fc6fc0c2cbbf0a25586cd87b91193dabf.jpg
10530826_10203443199995107_1830896470_o[1].jpg

darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m

Postby darippah » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:06 am

Just had my first session on a Chrono 9m and twin tip. The kite feels amazing

it was a bit gusty so I was expecting it be difficult/ scary but it wasnt at all. It actually felt more like an extension of myself than any other kite

The low end was pretty good too, everyone was powered up on 12m's and I was decently powered and jumping on the 9 .

Can't wait to spend more time on the chrono's and test it out with my Hydrofoil

Hannay
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Hannay » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:44 pm

Chrono V2 out now :-)

Tech Talk..

Action...

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Postby mgs » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:28 am

I have been very happy with my Chrono's (V1) having been using them for a the past year. I have the 18m, 12m, 9m.The "Ozone Chrono V2 Designer Talk" video explains the differences very well indeed.
From my experience the chrono is a great kite, performs extremely well in low wind conditions. The bridle does need to be "managed" and can tangle easily, so packing away the kite very carefully after each session is a must.I tend not to keep my bar attached to the lines, so its imperative to ensure the pigtails are secured to the velcro tags.
Have had no problems with the pulleys, just ensure they are sand free and kept clean after use.
Launching the chrono was an interesting experience at first, the kite will launch partly inflated pulling the brake handle slightly really helps to inflate the wing tips. I have noticed as the kite gets more use, inflation takes place must faster.Having said that, the 9m inflated immediately the first time I flew it.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:18 am

I'm interested to see how this compares to the Lotus Speeds since that's what it seems to compete with. Had a v1 18 and sold it for a Sonic 18, so much better. One thing I see they didn't change which I wish they would is color coordinate the bridle sides. Much easier to untangle and figure out when it all goes to shit. You don't think it makes a difference but coming from Flysurfers that do, it really helps. Also while I think the ozone bar is better than FS, they need some balls on the lines to help reverse launching. Glad they supposely fixed the wingtip tangle, that was always a problem with my v1. But as my sonic wears in, it seems to do this too more and more. Doubt the V2 will be as easy of a setup as the Speeds though. I can and have launched my S4's in dark without problem. I could never trust my v1 to do that.

=J-

Return to “Kitesurfing”