Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Ozone Chrono - High Performance DePower Foil For All Sur

Postby marekmk » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:35 am

sorry but I have to completely disagree with you pmaggie. such different realities. how does this happen?

I had the Chrono, unpredictable at times.

I have the V1, the most predictable launch in any conditions, from the side of the window or downwind, yes. and moonlight riding in tiny launch spots no issues. this is a super stable kite to launch and foil or race with.

as for the sonic, best ever from FS, lovely kite to fly and far suited to kiters who are not racing but I have never ever been able to clean launch where the tips don,t get tangled and have never managed to launch it myself with just a dread of chaos

flew the V2, spectacular and far and beyond the sonic on launch, faster to turn, the boast is phenomenal. this is the best ever foil I have ever played with!!!!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:06 am

Good comedy today, watching the racer boys in a JPKA gathering... Easy to spot the guys who've just bought the Chronos and Sonics cos "they're the best." He he he...

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:58 pm

marekmk wrote:as for the sonic, best ever from FS, lovely kite to fly and far suited to kiters who are not racing but I have never ever been able to clean launch where the tips don,t get tangled and have never managed to launch it myself with just a dread of chaos
I went from Chrono to Sonic also and found the same thing. The Chrono wingtips would always inflate on one solid pull of the brake strap. The sonic can take several pulls on the brake strap or rear line stopper balls. Although I've never had the Sonic wingtips tangle in 30+ sessions. I was always able to get them inflated and straight after a few pulls.

Even once they are inflated the wingtips of the sonic do curl more easily, but the whole kite is much more stable and forgiving. The Flysurfer recovers from things that would send the Chrono v1 into a total collapse.

Are you pre-inflating before launch? Just before launch I hold each vent up into the wind for 10 seconds and it makes the launches WAY easier. I try to do it just before launching because once it's inflated it tends to flop around a lot more.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:50 pm

davesails7 wrote:
marekmk wrote:as for the sonic, best ever from FS, lovely kite to fly and far suited to kiters who are not racing but I have never ever been able to clean launch where the tips don,t get tangled and have never managed to launch it myself with just a dread of chaos
Are you pre-inflating before launch? Just before launch I hold each vent up into the wind for 10 seconds and it makes the launches WAY easier. I try to do it just before launching because once it's inflated it tends to flop around a lot more.
I went and purchased a $100 dollar battery powered leaf blower ...... makes pre-filling and then launching my V1's quite easy.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Postby foilonfoil » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:15 am

Just made the jump from Chrono v1 12M/15M to Sonic 9M/11M and could not be happier. The Sonics are very stable kites in the lightest of wind. All good fun and happy not to be dealing with tip tucks anymore.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:08 am

In what situation do the tip tucks happen? I lengthend the z-bridle with only 2cm and the kites became rock solid.

The only time i manage to collapse the tips is when the has trouble staying in the air in such marginal winds that it will not hang at 12h

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil

Postby marekmk » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:07 pm

Evan, I have no idea what your talking about. I have never seen the sonic come up clean on launch.

On my V1 I never ever had a wing tip collapse last launching or kitting
I have seen collapses by riders not familiar with foils.

The V1 is for advance foil fliers. It's not a kite for you.

I was torn between a sonic and the V2. Having now flown both, the V2 blows the Sonic away.
Easier launch, dynamic handling the list goes on and on. The V2 is the most forgiving fun foil
I have ever played with.

For now it's the V2 and I can,t wait for the 2nd version of the Sonic.

It might blow the V2 away but for now it's 100% chrono v2

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Postby foilonfoil » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:32 pm

evan wrote:In what situation do the tip tucks happen? I lengthend the z-bridle with only 2cm and the kites became rock solid.

The only time i manage to collapse the tips is when the has trouble staying in the air in such marginal winds that it will not hang at 12h
Check out the Chrono v2 design video - pretty much describes all the issues with the v1 and what they did to address the issues.

Return to “Kitesurfing”