Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ozone Chrono - High Performance DePower Foil For All Sur

Postby The Captain » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:12 pm

Bille wrote:
The Captain wrote: ...

Nobody is mentioning anything about stability in unsteady conditions, yet...A big issue Flysurfer has improved upon over the years, at the expense of a higher aspect ratio more efficient airfoil, making the flysurfer kites more user friendly.

I don't think Ozone intended there Chrono, to be used by the --"Average"-- kiter ; so
that's not really a fair comparison ! It's like saying a person should be using a Moped
instead of a 1000cc crotch-rocket , because it's more user friendly .

Bille
I totally agree. The kite is what it is. I guess I just felt then need to point out the 'apples to oranges to grapes' comparisons that seem to happen all too often around here.

I suppose you have to compare it to something though, and the Speeds and Elf kites are it...
Just accept that these kites are intended to be different from each other. I wasn't trying to say one is better than the other, or you should ride one over the other. Just be aware of the differences.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:26 pm

Evening chaps,

Got to the beach this morning at about 8, unpacked the kite to take a look.

First impressions;

the kite is very long (as expected)
The bridle is made of a very fine grey braid which tangles quite easily compared to the Flysurfer
The kite, once inflated does lose its air quite quick when waiting around. i.e. pegged down.

wind was 2-4 knots so flew the kite static for a bit.

It takes a little while for the kite to sort its self out in terms of inflating. The wing tips will fold in a lot and it does require rider input to get the kite full and flying. Even in 4 knots the kite has a massive amount of pull when flown through the middle of the window.

The wind picked up to about 5-6 knots and with the pull I was getting I decided to give the raceboard a go. I didn't have much in the way of static pull (this is something I measured and videoed, at 5 knots when above my head the kite had 5kg of pull, which isn't much) As the water was flat and slightly onshore I figured I had nothing to lose.

Dived the kite, stood up, dived again and I was in the back strap. As the wind built over the hour to about 7-9 knots I was able to get a VMAX of 44kph which is something like 27 mph or 23 knots. Which is very impressive. Had it been completely flat I would have got a few more kph out of it. Oh, one thing, I changed to the FS 15m Lotus when the wind was 5-7 knots and was unable to move at all on the raceboard. (well I could move but not get on the plane)

Later the wind picked up to 12-14 knots and I switched to the twin tip.

Man this kite is insane when it comes to hangtime. This is coming from a FS rider of 10+ years. The distance you travel combined with the height. I was able to add foot outs to transitions and get some mega long dark slides..

Ok, so what's bad about this kite?

It is not even close to being a beginner kite. You have to treat it with respect it will bite if you get it wrong. The wingtips will fold in if you are tardy in landing tricks and go towards the kite too much and if you completely over fly the kite it will ball up and land next to you. As I have been flying FS kites from day dot, it felt very much like a very well tuned Speed 1 but with MUCH more depower and better turning.

If this kite is sold to novices your beach will have nightmares. Put it in the hands of a decent rider (not saying I am, but I know foils) and they will love it. You have to really fly the kite, by that I mean it's not just a kite you can step on and go in 5 knots. You have to know how to get the kite flying fast, find the sweet spot and it will reward you with loads of power.

On the raceboard the upwind was insane, like really pointing high. Downwind especially when the wind was light requires you to fly the kite deep in the window to keep the power, once the wind picks up you're flying at all points. Though I would imagine the Edge would be better off the wind as you can move it faster.

Compared to the Flysurfer (which is a tad unfair as it has a different purpose)

Power - it has more power. A friend who was flying a 19m Speed 3 said he thought the Chrono had equal if not a little more power.

Turning - it is much slower than the same sized flysurfer, more like the 19 tbh.

Jumping - almost equal

Hangtime - better hangtime than the FS

User friendliness - The FS is a much easier kite to fly and get a good session from though the addition of a ground handling strop does make landing the Chrono very easy.

Depower - much the same as the FS, loads really. But not compared to a C kite (obvs)

Upwind - points higher than the FS, 5 degrees ish up to 10 I reckon when nicely powered and flown well.

For freestyle it is a great kite (airstyle), you can jump high, stay there for ages and enjoy the view.

For racing in light winds, this thing is unbeatable I think (18 of course would win) When the wind picks up you would see a few scared faces!

We have some light winds again tomorrow so will try and get some better vids, the stuff I did today was pants.

Hope that is enough for now

Tone
Attachments
Sat wind.JPG
Sat wind.JPG (32.13 KiB) Viewed 1029 times

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:27 pm

davesails7 wrote:
Tone wrote:Full report later,

First impressions are like this;

It pissed all over the Flysurfer speed 4 in terms of low end and hangtime.

Will report later on everything else.
Thanks Tone! Comparison tests are best.

Could you get a picture of the two kites laid on top of eachother to compare the shape and actual area?
Will try that tomorrow. Didn't think of that.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:28 pm

Forgot to add.

Would I swap my FS for it?

No, not yet.

If I could afford an 18 to sit above my 15m FS,

HELLS YEAH!!!

The Captain
Frequent Poster

Postby The Captain » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:40 pm

Nice post Tone. Thanks.

heinzbush
Medium Poster

Postby heinzbush » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:45 pm

sorry if I missed it, but which Chrono size were you flying?

Since you mention it had about equal power to the FS 19, I assume it was the Chrono 15?

I guess by now the consensus is that a FS more or less equals a Chrono "one size down"...

Question remains on the Chrono 18 versus FS 21 on the low-end...

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:40 pm

Thank you Tone for your review! I am interested to hear about the comparison between the Lotus and the Chrono. I had a couple questions.

1) your weight and was this the 15m?

2) you mentioned had great depower like the FS but not as good as a C kite. Did you mean a C kite has more depower than a FS or Chrono? I ask because my speed 12 m has a massive range and have never seen a C kite with such range.

3) so jumping height same but hang time better on the Chrono, correct?

I just bought a 18 m weight 103kgs and so happy absolutely love the kite. Also have a lotus 12m but haven't used yet. I think the perfect combo for me as the 12m will be my travel kite and I get to play with both brands. The last big foil I had was a pre CE 19m speed 3ltd and thats all I could compare the Chrono to and I found the turning speed of the Chrono 18m to be very good for such a long big kite. No complaints at all and I hated my old 19 and sold it due to slow turning. I feel it doesn't turn much slower than my Edge.
I have never experienced such a powerful kite before and I am jumping double the height that I would on an edge.

I think the Chrono is suited for people who all ready know how to jump and land their tricks. Not a kite to be practicing new tricks on. Also treat it like fine China. Need to respect the kite and not abuse it and the kite will reward you for it. Bridals will get caught in anything on the beach so clear an area to launch. This kite has changed kiting for me.
Last edited by Okinawa Kiter on Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:57 pm

Okinawa Kiter wrote:Thank you Tone for your review! I am interested to here about the comparison between the Lotus and the Chrono. I had a couple questions.

1) your weight and was this the 15m?

2) you mentioned had great depower like the FS but not as good as a C kite. Did you mean a C kite has more depower than a FS or Chrono? I ask because my speed 12 m has a massive range and have never seen a C kite with such range.

3) so jumping height same but hang time better on the Chrono, correct?

I just bought a 18 m weight 103kgs and so happy absolutely love the kite. Also have a lotus 12m but haven't used yet. I think the perfect combo for me as the 12m will be my travel kite and I get to play with both brands. The last big foil I had was a pre CE 19m speed 3ltd and thats all I could compare the Chrono to and I found the turning speed of the Chrono 18m to be very good for such a long big kite. No complaints at all and I hated my old 19 and sold it due to slow turning. I feel it doesn't turn much slower than my Edge.
I have never experienced such a powerful kite before and I am jumping double the height that I would on an edge.

I think the Chrono is suited for people who all ready know how to jump and land their tricks. Not a kite to be practicing new tricks on. Also treat it like fine China. Need to respect the kite and not abuse it and the kite will reward you for it. Bridals will get caught in anything on the beach so clear an area to launch. This kite has changed kiting for me.
depower - you're right, that is a typo. A C kite has much less depower.
I am 108kg at the moment.
Jumping height is the same on both kites but hangtime better on Chrono.

Tony :)

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:57 pm

Tone wrote:Evening chaps,

Got to the beach this morning at about 8, unpacked the kite to take a look.

First impressions;

the kite is very long (as expected)
The bridle is made of a very fine grey braid which tangles quite easily compared to the Flysurfer
The kite, once inflated does lose its air quite quick when waiting around. i.e. pegged down.

wind was 2-4 knots so flew the kite static for a bit.

It takes a little while for the kite to sort its self out in terms of inflating. The wing tips will fold in a lot and it does require rider input to get the kite full and flying. Even in 4 knots the kite has a massive amount of pull when flown through the middle of the window.

The wind picked up to about 5-6 knots and with the pull I was getting I decided to give the raceboard a go. I didn't have much in the way of static pull (this is something I measured and videoed, at 5 knots when above my head the kite had 5kg of pull, which isn't much) As the water was flat and slightly onshore I figured I had nothing to lose.

Dived the kite, stood up, dived again and I was in the back strap. As the wind built over the hour to about 7-9 knots I was able to get a VMAX of 44kph which is something like 27 mph or 23 knots. Which is very impressive. Had it been completely flat I would have got a few more kph out of it. Oh, one thing, I changed to the FS 15m Lotus when the wind was 5-7 knots and was unable to move at all on the raceboard. (well I could move but not get on the plane)

Later the wind picked up to 12-14 knots and I switched to the twin tip.

Man this kite is insane when it comes to hangtime. This is coming from a FS rider of 10+ years. The distance you travel combined with the height. I was able to add foot outs to transitions and get some mega long dark slides..

Ok, so what's bad about this kite?

It is not even close to being a beginner kite. You have to treat it with respect it will bite if you get it wrong. The wingtips will fold in if you are tardy in landing tricks and go towards the kite too much and if you completely over fly the kite it will ball up and land next to you. As I have been flying FS kites from day dot, it felt very much like a very well tuned Speed 1 but with MUCH more depower and better turning.

If this kite is sold to novices your beach will have nightmares. Put it in the hands of a decent rider (not saying I am, but I know foils) and they will love it. You have to really fly the kite, by that I mean it's not just a kite you can step on and go in 5 knots. You have to know how to get the kite flying fast, find the sweet spot and it will reward you with loads of power.

On the raceboard the upwind was insane, like really pointing high. Downwind especially when the wind was light requires you to fly the kite deep in the window to keep the power, once the wind picks up you're flying at all points. Though I would imagine the Edge would be better off the wind as you can move it faster.

Compared to the Flysurfer (which is a tad unfair as it has a different purpose)

Power - it has more power. A friend who was flying a 19m Speed 3 said he thought the Chrono had equal if not a little more power.

Turning - it is much slower than the same sized flysurfer, more like the 19 tbh.

Jumping - almost equal

Hangtime - better hangtime than the FS

User friendliness - The FS is a much easier kite to fly and get a good session from though the addition of a ground handling strop does make landing the Chrono very easy.

Depower - much the same as the FS, loads really. But not compared to a C kite (obvs)

Upwind - points higher than the FS, 5 degrees ish up to 10 I reckon when nicely powered and flown well.

For freestyle it is a great kite (airstyle), you can jump high, stay there for ages and enjoy the view.

For racing in light winds, this thing is unbeatable I think (18 of course would win) When the wind picks up you would see a few scared faces!

We have some light winds again tomorrow so will try and get some better vids, the stuff I did today was pants.

Hope that is enough for now

Tone
Excellent review.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:53 am

Pretty much exactly the review I expected from someone who isn't trying to sell them.

Return to “Kitesurfing”