Favorite Beaches: Langevelderslag, Zandvoort
Style: Freeride
Gear: F-one bandit & Brunotti Onyx
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Kitesurf pop-up bag

Postby Cas_surfboy023 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:38 pm

Hello people,

Together with my school project team we came up with a product idea for the kitesurfmarket. I am curious about your thoughts on this products. Below you can find the description of the product?

EasyKite, the best way to transport your kite and kiteboard after your kite-session. After finishing your kite-session you strand somewhere else at the beach due to drifting off. Therefore you have to walk all the way back to your start position because your stuff is still there. To ease the transportation, we came up with the EasyKite. The EasyKite is a small water resistant pop-up bag which can be attached at your back during your kite-session. So by finishing your kite-session you can remove the EasyKite of your back, pop-up and pack your board and kite in it. The EasyKite will look like a small hammock and will be worn like a sport bag. The EasyKite can be added with a fully waterproof part for telephone or keys. Even different sizes can be manufactured. Designing different sizes and add-ons will be attractive for multiple segments of kite surfers (beginner, intermediate or professional).

My question for you is: Would you use this product?

kite_hh
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, North, own

Re: Kitesurf pop-up bag

Postby kite_hh » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:58 pm

It is always good to come up with new ideas.

If understand this correctly you are essentially suggesting to sell a bag? A bag that holds a kite and possibly a board?
Last time I checked almost all kites come with exactly this type of bag.

Maybe your idea needs a little more explaining. But as of now I don't think it would find a lot of resonance in the market.

I do like your enthusiasm though and you should feel encouraged to think about other stuff to improve in kiting. Good luck!
These users thanked the author kite_hh for the post:
Cas_surfboy023 (Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:38 am)
Rating: 3.03%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:08 pm

For many, it would be really really really undesirable to kite with their pump strapped to their back.

Anyone who goes through the effort of returning their pump to their car before launching can just as easily return any other belonging to the car so that they leave nothing on the beach when they go ride. Small water proof bags for keys or phones have been around for a long time now.

I bring my key with me, and leave nothing at the launch when I ride. I am free to come in anywhere and make my way directly to the car without needing to return to the spot I launched from before hand.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:

geokite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sherman, Belmont
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Avoid the Triton foil board, made by Newind!

B: [Firewire SP, Kanaha MM, Triton] F: [Lift, Triton, Axis] K: [Kitech, Gin]

Postby geokite » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:13 pm

Boards come in all different sizes, some with foils attached. How would that work?
No waterproof bags; we would want the water to drain out. A simple mesh bag (laundry bag) works great.
I'm not putting my key in such a bag; car key goes around my neck, under the wetsuit/rash guard in it's own dedicated bag. See https://tinyurl.com/y4au7ud7
Why does the bag need to be pop-up? Like a tent?
These users thanked the author geokite for the post:

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:20 pm

I think you are solving an non-existent problem.
Kitesurfers do not drift off and need to walk back to their original launch site.
Beginners do, and then do the walk back- but that is only your first few sessions. at that early point in your kite life, you do not know anything and will not have been prepared with a backpack to carry your gear back.

You need to find a problem
These users thanked the author TomW for the post:

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:03 pm

Probably I would not buy such a bag, but it’s interesting to think about.
The first 2 generations of BRM cloud kites came with extremely simple bags that were like a pillowcase with drawstring/straps. For more comfort, something similar could be made with flat straps instead of strings, plus another smaller flat patch pocket for small items. Compression/lashing straps could also be added but weight needs the higest consideration. The first generation BRM bag was actually made of canopy ripstop. It held up well and must have weighed 80 grams including the drawstrings. If you could keep the weight minimal and the form factor equivalent to a small camelback hydration pack you could have something. Just make sure it is small, light, and has a major mesh compinent to avoid it becoming a sea anchor as soon as you fall in.

But.

For downwinders or “walk of shame” when wind shuts down before you make it back, there is already a built in solution: wrap your harness around your rolled up kite to contain it and if needed, use your leash as a carry strap or to attach kite/lines/harness bundle to your board, if you want. I usually prefer to carry board in one hand and bundle in the other.
The pump is cumbersome and I have never tried to kite with it. I wouldn’t want to get water in the pump either. Better to stash it or return to vehicle etc.
If you need extra help in organizing gear to hike out of your landing area, you can also carry a webbing strap or coil of small line around your waist, in pocket of trunks etc.
Still, the idea has some potential...
These users thanked the author BWD for the post:

dice
Frequent Poster
Gear: Hadlow ID

Postby dice » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:42 pm

Drifting off is not an issue, you always have to return to your starting point anyhow. Unless you do a downwinder or you came by public transport.
Your car/bike won't follow you to wherever you drifted off to ;)
These users thanked the author dice for the post:

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:55 pm

BWD wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:03 pm
If you need extra help in organizing gear to hike out of your landing area, you can also carry a webbing strap or coil of small line around your waist, in pocket of trunks etc.
Still, the idea has some potential...
The webbing strap that comes with many kites is perfect to strap the kite, bar, harness, vest to the board. Every time I see a possibility to end up far downwind, it's around my waist. Used it quite a few times.

What I've been lacking in such cases is a tiny stretch mesh pocket on the back of the harness to fit a pair of thin/compact fliplops. Hm... an idea just stroke me. Will share after some research.
These users thanked the author nixmatters for the post:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:04 pm

Nice going!!!

I think this is an interesting project. I would venture to say the kiteboarding market is small as shit so if the bag can cross over to other sports like kayaking etc you'd hit a larger market.
I do think your main market would be people who does downwinders..though most have the ability to send stuff with whatever car they either leave or have in a location....but it would not be people who accidentally go downwind IMO. It could be a decent one for people that travel if the flexibility of the bag is big enough.
It is not a non-existent problem, but how big of a pain are you solving? That I do not know. Getting some feedback is good, but make sure the people are asking are in your target demographic. Ie what are the characteristics of the prototypical person you are trying to solve for? Try to create that persona. For instance, I am not accidentally going downwind. Unless I was purposefully going downwind I would not carry a backpack. I am however looking for a backpack that I could do downwinders with, but that I could also go skiing both back country and resort skiing...and perhaps do day long hikes with So it would have to be small and have a water pack. If I could expand it to attach a board or have a wrap for a kite (tbh I think some straps would do it) or have skins for skis..I'd be happy.

If you are solving for downwinders the ability to bring water or food items would be a good one.
These users thanked the author tautologies for the post:

Cas_surfboy023
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Toolenburgse plas
Favorite Beaches: Langevelderslag, Zandvoort
Gear: F-one bandit & Brunotti Onyx
Been thanked: 0

Postby Cas_surfboy023 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:06 pm

kite_hh wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:58 pm
It is always good to come up with new ideas.

If understand this correctly you are essentially suggesting to sell a bag? A bag that holds a kite and possibly a board?
Last time I checked almost all kites come with exactly this type of bag.

Maybe your idea needs a little more explaining. But as of now I don't think it would find a lot of resonance in the market.

I do like your enthusiasm though and you should feel encouraged to think about other stuff to improve in kiting. Good luck!
Thank you for responding!

Yes, you are right, we are thinking about selling a new type of bag. I do understand that it is quite confusing, but I will try to elaborate myself.

Indeed, in the current situation you have a bag in which you bring your kite and bar. However, this type of bag is way to big to bring with you during your kite session.

The problem we try to solve is, if you have downwinder, normally you have to walk all the way back with your kite in the air and your board in your hand. This cost a lot of energy, which is unnecessary. Our solution is a small bag which you can attach to your harness and when you want to go back to your starting point, you could unfold the bag and put your kite (or only your board, this is up to you) in the bag and walk back. This will save a lot of energy and the walk back is more convenient. Besides, it is also possible to add a waterproof compartment, so you can bring your phone, wallet and keys for example.

What do you think about this idea?

Return to “Kitesurfing”