Forum for kitesurfers
airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION
Brand Affiliation: None

Roberts Hydroflex "The Ill"

Postby airsurfer » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:12 pm

Anyone try these yet for strapless riding? Wondering if this is really a more durable surfboard that still feels lively and responsive.

WALoeIII
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Roberts Hydroflex "The Ill"

Postby WALoeIII » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:13 pm

airsurfer wrote:Anyone try these yet for strapless riding? Wondering if this is really a more durable surfboard that still feels lively and responsive.
I hope to report back soon. I just picked up a 5' 9" Black Dump Truck in Hydroflex XXX/Supercharger. There isn't much on the internet on this construction for kiting.

The Real Watersports guys seem pretty stoked on them, I was actually looking at Resin8 and a couple other alternative constructions and they pointed me this way. I haven't ridden either but from the shape and volume the iLL is going to be for "good" conditions, and the BDT is more of a hybrid design that should be best suited to "OK" conditions. Real has a 5' 6" BDT on their used site, if you are lighter it could work well, I'm 185 so I went for a bigger size.

windrupted
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: North Beach, Barney Line, The Wood in Ventucky, Island Park Idaho and Mt Hagin MT
Favorite Beaches: G-Land (Plenkung Point)
Style: Waves, Goofy or Switch
Gear: Craigslist
Brand Affiliation: Charles Shaw

Postby windrupted » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:21 pm

Tried the BDT in PU construction, best board ever for kiting. Turns like it's on rails. The Ill must be really good. That new construction method has to be better, if not the best new technology out there. Well worth the money.

(Unlike the heavy bamboo production garbage that comes out of China).... Hydroflex is infinitely better and stronger and lighter. Don't hesitate, that Ill is the exact board I would get if I was a bit more cashed up. Robert's shapes are very forgiving with a bit more foam hidden in just the right places.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:29 pm

Thanks let me know how you like the Dump Truck.

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's

Postby mike dubs » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:21 pm

I have the Roberts Ill in supercharger triple x construction. Had mine 10 months and ridden it a 100+ times. This is my 16th surfboard including North, Slingshot and Cabrinha production ones. custom boards, resin 8, Firewire and 3 BWS boards.

My Hydroflex is super strong, flexible and light 2.7kg with pads and fins. I don't pump mine up and its great in chop and cranked turns (I asked Rebstock, who rides them and he doesn't pump them either). Mine has been washed up on pebble beaches, blown down the beach, washed against groynes and jumped big and hard and looks like new. The beauty of them is the bond they create with the fibre glass and foam.

Only board that turns better was my Mulcoy BWS pro, but was always being repaired.

it's expensive to get shipped, but wont hesitate to get another, when and if mine dies......! May be a while!

Mike

stayfan
Rare Poster
Style: freestyle/freeryde
Gear: Thorn 2008
Torch 2008

Postby stayfan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:48 pm

mike dubs wrote:I have the Roberts Ill in supercharger triple x construction. Had mine 10 months and ridden it a 100+ times. This is my 16th surfboard including North, Slingshot and Cabrinha production ones. custom boards, resin 8, Firewire and 3 BWS boards.

My Hydroflex is super strong, flexible and light 2.7kg with pads and fins. I don't pump mine up and its great in chop and cranked turns (I asked Rebstock, who rides them and he doesn't pump them either). Mine has been washed up on pebble beaches, blown down the beach, washed against groynes and jumped big and hard and looks like new. The beauty of them is the bond they create with the fibre glass and foam.

Only board that turns better was my Mulcoy BWS pro, but was always being repaired.

it's expensive to get shipped, but wont hesitate to get another, when and if mine dies......! May be a while!

Mike
I am interested in the Roberts ILL too. I am 76kg and I think the 5'10 should be fine or must I choose the 5'9?

WALoeIII
Rare Poster

Postby WALoeIII » Tue May 06, 2014 2:51 am

airsurfer wrote:Thanks let me know how you like the Dump Truck.
I finally got out on my Black Dump Truck yesterday.

First, my setup:
- 5' 9"
- FCS MF-1 fins as a thruster to start, I also have a set of KR JP-5 to test next.
- I put some air in the board (~ 2-3 psi) as the little flier that came with it suggests 1 psi minimum.
- 14m Naish Park
- 6' 3" / 185lbs

The board is really, really, really light compared to a North Wam 5' 10" and Naish Skater 5' 9". Its as light as a standard surfboard and looks like one too, I can't tell where the extra glass is.

My session was relatively short and in mostly choppy flat water, with only a few little swells. The ride is VERY lively, it feels like the board is trying to jump off each little bump. This eager feeling was very refreshing compared to the overbuilt boards I've been riding in the past. The big fins and wide tail made it plane as well as any other board, I had no problem going upwind even though wind was marginal (14m kites). When I did have the opportunity to bear off I found it very fast rail to rail and the closest to surfing feel I've ever had with a kite. Tacking and gybing was as easy as the other boards, in some ways the very light nose made the flick portion of the tack easier.

I now see how some of the shots of massive strapless air are possible, this thing is so light if you could just get your feet right it would be held up even without it blowing 40+.

I'll try to remember to update this when I actually get to take it out in waves.
Last edited by WALoeIII on Mon May 26, 2014 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

kitenake
Medium Poster
Local Beach: pismo
Favorite Beaches: portugal spain australia
Style: WAKE
Gear: slingy fuels

Postby kitenake » Tue May 06, 2014 3:32 am

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's

Postby mike dubs » Tue May 06, 2014 4:25 pm

stayfan,

5'9 would be fine. here's a little video of mine in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6v_lL2Z4Wo

mike

Return to “Kitesurfing”