Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

ranking surfboard construction Firewire/hydroflex/surftech

Forum for kitesurfers
clydesdale
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

ranking surfboard construction Firewire/hydroflex/surftech

Postby clydesdale » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:30 pm

looking at surfboards and seeing the new various construction methods.

anyone rank durability of these or other build setups?

firewire fst
firewire timbertek
firewire kiteboarding specific surfboards(unfortunately i want a bigger board and biggest ones they are making are in the high 20 liter range)
hydroflexx xxx
surftech tuflite

Bob Marley
Frequent Poster
Style: Jumps and waves
Gear: Small c kites that don't have bridles and no 5th line. Epoxy surfboards.
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: ranking surfboard construction Firewire/hydroflex/surfte

Postby Bob Marley » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:25 pm

Surftech tuflite is stronger than firewire. And you can always find somewhere with surftechs on close out sale. I just got a webber afterburner that makes a perfect kiteboard. :kiff: I'd like a FireWire but they are too expensive and fragile for my riding style.

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:04 pm

The surftech/tufflite are going to be the strongest and lightest and hold up very well for kiting. My spreader bar couldn't even puncture the deck of a surftech I have after a bad fall( just left an ugly white scrape) And, as Bob the shredder mentioned, you could get them pretty cheap on close outs. The only downside is that they feel a kinda "corky" compared to the boards I prefer to surf with. I like the firewire FST stock surfboards to kite with. However, I get them modified with a 4 oz. patch on the deck after I buy them used on Craigslist and they have been holding up great. If you don't get them modified, the deck will eventually delaminate from kiting. Not sure about the FW timbertechs but the FW Rapidfires arent that durable. Don't have any experience with the other technology you mentioned.

Al_Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Guincho
Style: Surf
Gear: Wave SST 9m, 7m, 5m
Airush Converse 6'1'', FW EVO 5'3''

Postby Al_Kiter » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:17 pm

I've trashed a Firewire FST while kiting strapless and I've also trashed a Surftech in a very similar way. To me they seem equally resistant in terms of construction and in my opinion none of them is suitable to kiting without at least a 4oz lamination in the deck (better if you make it 2x4oz). I still prefer Firewire FSTs over surftechs. Surftechs are molded shapes and some boards feel weird and very corky.

Timbertek boards look really nice but I suspect they aren't any stronger than FST and Firewire still seems to be in a development stage with the resin and the use of fiber in the deck. Online retailers have brought prices down probably because many people (as myself) have doubts about the technology. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few months we see Timberteks being sold for less than the same models in FST.

Hydroflex boards is a big question mark. They used to be made with XPS cores (extruded polystyrene) which doesn't absorb water and hence the use of the "3d lamination" technology which was a way of avoiding delamination (as the foam doesn't absorb resin either). The problem is that they seem to be made with EPS cores now and a board made of EPS and laminated with fiber and epoxy may be great for professional surfers as it is incredibly light, but once there is a crack in the fiber it soaks up water like a mother and becomes ruined after 20 minutes in the water.

In my humble opinion the ranking purely in terms of construction is probably (from best to worst):

1. Firewire KIte construction
2. Firewire FST = Timbertek = Surftech
3. Hydroflex (ESP+triple-x)

I use Firewires for surfing but for kiting I still prefer boards made by kiteboard companies with the necessary reinforcements in place. They may not be as cool but they offer better value for money.

clydesdale
Frequent Poster

Postby clydesdale » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:42 pm

I use Firewires for surfing but for kiting I still prefer boards made by kiteboard companies with the necessary reinforcements in place. They may not be as cool but they offer better value for money.
I would too but current kite companies don't make a higher liter board surfboard hence the topic

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Postby topmick » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:44 pm

5'5 North Nugget is around 35L

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby robertovillate » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:44 am

I have a Firewire Taj 5-10 (kite version) and a Lost 5-8 RNF Aviso.

I have ridden both really hard 3+ years on the Firewire, 5+ years on the Aviso. I ride mostly strapless on the Firewire and always strapless on the Aviso. Wax only, no pad. I do not do much in terms of aerial tricks and so no hard landings - some jumping with the Firewire when strapped. I ride these 2 boards 90% of the time (probably 60+ session each/year). I weigh 72kg and have ridden these boards in flat water to 3x overhead.

I have a few little normal insignificant dings on my Firewire and I have also put a major ding in it with my bar, and I have repaired a heal delam. I paid a good "mechanic" to fix it the right way and so far so good.

There is no question that the Aviso is much tougher. I've hammered it really hard a few times with my bar and not a scratch. Other than a lot of scratches on the paint finish the Aviso has no dings that have required repair.

The Aviso has a plug/vent that you need to deal with...but no big deal. This board was ade for surfing and not kiting, but it has held up with no issues whatsoever.

I would be highly inclined to buy another Firewire or another Aviso. If I can find the right Aviso shape on the used market at a decent price ($500-$700)I would scoop it up in a heartbeat. I'd also be happy buying another Firewire as well, and I believe their construction has probably improved slightly since my board was made. Some of the recent Firewire shapes look really nice too. If you look at the Aviso board selection, and you know what you want, there has to be a shape in there that will suit just about anyone's preferences. A new Aviso is pricey...but to be honest they are worth it when you consider the lifespan of the board and probably zero maintenance cost.

I like my Firewire, and I think it is reasonably durable for how light it is and for how well it rides. If you do major damage to the rail of the Firewire it could be a problem/difficult to repair because of the way it is built (with the balsa rails). I feel I have gotten my money's worth out of the Firewire and it still has some good life in it from what I can tell. Plenty of life left in the Aviso as well.

My Firewire and Aviso are about the same weight...both very light. To some degree you have to accept some structural realities when a board is really light, but not so much with the Aviso. However I do not believe that "heavier" always means "stronger", and in many cases a poorly built board that weighs more might even be weaker.

Sorry I am not personally familiar with some of the other boards you mentioned.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:37 am

Al_Kiter wrote:I've trashed a Firewire FST while kiting strapless and I've also trashed a Surftech in a very similar way. To me they seem equally resistant in terms of construction and in my opinion none of them is suitable to kiting without at least a 4oz lamination in the deck (better if you make it 2x4oz). I still prefer Firewire FSTs over surftechs. Surftechs are molded shapes and some boards feel weird and very corky.

Timbertek boards look really nice but I suspect they aren't any stronger than FST and Firewire still seems to be in a development stage with the resin and the use of fiber in the deck. Online retailers have brought prices down probably because many people (as myself) have doubts about the technology. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few months we see Timberteks being sold for less than the same models in FST.

Hydroflex boards is a big question mark. They used to be made with XPS cores (extruded polystyrene) which doesn't absorb water and hence the use of the "3d lamination" technology which was a way of avoiding delamination (as the foam doesn't absorb resin either). The problem is that they seem to be made with EPS cores now and a board made of EPS and laminated with fiber and epoxy may be great for professional surfers as it is incredibly light, but once there is a crack in the fiber it soaks up water like a mother and becomes ruined after 20 minutes in the water.

In my humble opinion the ranking purely in terms of construction is probably (from best to worst):

1. Firewire KIte construction
2. Firewire FST = Timbertek = Surftech
3. Hydroflex (ESP+triple-x)

You do not sound like you know what you are talking about on a good number of things.
1. A standard surfboard glassing on modern day short boards is 2 4oz layers on the deck.
2. Timbertek is definitely stronger than fst and the people at Entropy resins (an American company) really know what they are doing.
3. EPS doesn't absorb water either. Even seen a trash piece of styrofoam not floating on water. XPS is just EPS that has less air in it. It can have lamination problems, but that's suppose to be worked out by glassers now.

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's

Postby mike dubs » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:47 am

Had North, Slingshot, cabrinha surfboards, Firewire surfboards and kiteboards, Resin8, D'light custim, Amundsen Customs, BWS Drifter/Mulcoy and Finally Hydroflex xxx supercharger which is by far the strongest/lightest and most flexible combination of the lot. Ridden it 100+ times since June had big crashes/massive jumps, washed up on pebble beach etc and looks like new.

I won't be getting anything else!

Mike

Al_Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Guincho
Gear: Wave SST 9m, 7m, 5m
Airush Converse 6'1'', FW EVO 5'3''

Postby Al_Kiter » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:39 am

NorCalNomad wrote: You do not sound like you know what you are talking about on a good number of things.
1. A standard surfboard glassing on modern day short boards is 2 4oz layers on the deck.
2. Timbertek is definitely stronger than fst and the people at Entropy resins (an American company) really know what they are doing.
3. EPS doesn't absorb water either. Even seen a trash piece of styrofoam not floating on water. XPS is just EPS that has less air in it. It can have lamination problems, but that's suppose to be worked out by glassers now.
Hey NorCalNomad, I'm sure you are a great kid and all, but try to show a little more respect towards other fellow forum members. I'm 46 years old and a Chemical Engineer and I have been working in the chemical industry for 21 years. In the last 8 years I have been selling epoxy resins among other products. I also have been repairing boards as a hobbyist since I was 13 years old, so I should know something about board construction.

Now, to reply to your points:

1. where in my post did i write anything about standard surfboard glassing?

2. you think that Timbertek boards are stronger than FST and that the good folks at Entropy Resins are doing a good job. That is your opinion and you are entitled to it, but it's not a fact and it sure doesn't turn whoever disagrees with you into an ignorant.

3. EPS is definitly not XPS. EPS is Expanded Polystyrene, an open cell polymer that does indeed absorb water. XPS is Extruded Polystyrene, a closed cell polymer that does not absorb water. These are facts not opinions.

:thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”