Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

When you are selling and someone wants to "try".

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

When you are selling and someone wants to "try".

Postby tautologies » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:20 pm

Hey so I am selling a kite, and this person just wants to try it. I am leaning towards nope because I really don't have time to wait for it these days. It is fair deal to pump it up and see that the kite is okay, but for me to go to the place, then wait for them to try and see if the kite is a good fit makes little sense.

I have no problem letting people having a go on a kite of mine if I am there, but spending hours selling a kite for cheap makes little sense to me.

What are your stance on it?

Bain
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: When you are selling and someone wants to "try".

Postby Bain » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:33 pm

I would say no unless like you say, you were already at the beach. Maybe leave it up to them to get to you when you're out riding.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:35 pm

for me customer always comes first.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:36 pm

I would charge him $25 non-refundable to try it. If he buys it take that $25 off the purchase price. An hour of work for $25 is not too bad. If you are making a lot of money per hour in your normal job and laugh at the idea of making $25 in an hour, then tell him $100 non-refundable to try it.

If he is just trying to work an angle and con people to try out kites, this will shut him up quick.

If he's serious about buying the kite but is a clueless noob that has to try the kite because he has no idea what kites are supposed to do, he won't mind putting up the money.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:46 pm

edt wrote:I would charge him $25 non-refundable to try it. If he buys it take that $25 off the purchase price. An hour of work for $25 is not too bad. If you are making a lot of money per hour in your normal job and laugh at the idea of making $25 in an hour, then tell him $100 non-refundable to try it.

If he is just trying to work an angle and con people to try out kites, this will shut him up quick.

If he's serious about buying the kite but is a clueless noob that has to try the kite because he has no idea what kites are supposed to do, he won't mind putting up the money.
Edt: Well this seems a bit too complicated to me...I get what you mean as a guy used a Best kite I had way back for 3 hours, then come back and say nahhh :-)

I'm kind of figuring there is so much information out there it should be not be hard to figure out if you think the kite would work for you.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:58 pm

tautologies wrote: I'm kind of figuring there is so much information out there it should be not be hard to figure out if you think the kite would work for you.
all that information just confuses the hell out of newbies just check out how confused they are about aspect ratio for instance. If he's experienced then yeah, just say no. If he's a newbie I would lean towards letting him try it.

Bain
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Bain » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:18 pm

Hawaiis wrote:for me customer always comes first.
I could see that if you're running a shop.
We're talking about a used kite that you're usually getting hosed on resale as it is.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:23 pm

Bain wrote:
We're talking about a used kite that you're usually getting hosed on resale as it is.
The best moments in kite ownership is the day you bought it and the day you sell it;)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:30 pm

Hawaiis wrote:
Bain wrote:
The best moments in kite ownership is the day you bought it and the day you sell it;)
I think the best day is when you have an epic session. To me that is the whole reason for doing kiteboarding.

I'm with Bain here. As much as I like to talk story, right now I'd prioritize getting out. :-)

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby JGTR » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:34 pm

Hawaiis wrote:
Bain wrote:
That's boats not kites!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”