Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

RRD bar V6 modification

forum for kitesurfers

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: RRD bar V6 modification

Postby ronnie » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:11 pm

It seemed to flag out OK in this video, but the front lines do not travel far towards the centre even when the kite is on its back.

http://gleiten.tv/index.php/video/actio ... /page/345/

BillyGoatGruff
Frequent Poster

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:18 pm

I am a long time RRD Obsession flyer but do not feel that happy about the double center line flag out in 30knot + winds. In my experience the kite pulls hard and bounces a lot on the water continually wanting to relaunch...

However... one problem with single front line flag out it that by far the majority of line breaks are almost always one of the front power lines. If one of these snaps you have a 50/50 situation where your kite could blow away down wind:o . The safest could well be the outside "o'shit" handles on the RRD bar in high winds (stops any spins or loops which is a pain)

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:02 pm

It looks to me like they have restricted the movement of the front line pulleys towards the centre of the kite. If the connection in the bridle that stops the pulley was replaced with a continuous bridle line, the kite may fly exactly the same but the flagging would work better, at least in some circumstances because the pulley could then move closer to the centre of the kite.
It may not help if the kite is on its leading edge on the water, but it should make it more likely that it will drop onto it's back from the air.
Last edited by ronnie on Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Longwave
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: PnP
Favorite Beaches: Les Landes...
Style: surf
Gear: RRD Religion 7m Switch Method V2 9m and 11m
RRD Obsession 9m and 12m Blade Trigger 10m
RRD Addiction 14m etc... and kitesurfboards (F-One fish 5'2", Underground 5'8", surfboards and a North nugget)
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Longwave » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:31 am

Yes , releasing the kite from the sky and holding the line in one hand with a light pull and the kite "usually" fall properly on it's back. Now the kite is already in the water, right in front of me, LE down, for any reason I quick release (just for checking the safety system), the kite doesn't do anything! It doesn't work ! Not once, not twice , it just doesn't work!
Ronnie is right the pulleys are too far from the middle of the kite! I don't get how a brand like RRD can be so loose with the safety.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:09 am

Longwave wrote:Yes , releasing the kite from the sky and holding the line in one hand with a light pull and the kite "usually" fall properly on it's back. Now the kite is already in the water, right in front of me, LE down, for any reason I quick release (just for checking the safety system), the kite doesn't do anything! It doesn't work ! Not once, not twice , it just doesn't work!
Ronnie is right the pulleys are too far from the middle of the kite! I don't get how a brand like RRD can be so loose with the safety.
There are quite a few kites that are supposed to flag to two front lines that do that. I have a 2008 Nobile 555 that does the same. I have converted it to flag to one front.
It depends on the shape of the LE and the bridle.
Even some of the Cabrinha kites which have an IDS bridle do it (Nomad) because of the shape of the LE, while others with a bow LE (Crossbow) will drop on their backs if you Q/R from LE down position.
The solution is supposed to be to swim toward the kite to make it fall on it's back. And you are safe because you can release the kite completely, so its more of an inconvenience, although the loose kite could become dangerous.

One other thing you could try with your feet off the bottom while it is flagging to two front lines LE down is to pull yourself toward the kite up the flagging line for about 2m and release the flagging line suddenly. It might work and make it drop on it's back.

I'm actually a fan of flagging to two front lines because it happens to suit where I want to kite because its easy to self launch and pack up standing in the water, but the shore/sand has a lot of thorny plants or broken shells. I have 2 Crossbows that work very well on 2 front lines.

rogerkite
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 6
Local Beach: South Brittany
Favorite Beaches: Near Quiberon'beaches
Style: Just between Peak & Rocks !

Postby rogerkite » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:16 pm

Hi everybody,
I've not read the post but i just would like to share a drawing.
This modification of the V5 bar was suggested to RRD for school (RRD was last year working on this subject).
It is also possible to do this modification on the V6 bar.
Modification Global bar V5.jpg
Not sure it answers the this topic (having a "free safety line") is not so confortable...
Regards.

Er Presidente
Medium Poster

Postby Er Presidente » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:01 am

Thanks for the diagram but a floating mini fifth line looks quite dangerous if tangled as it won't slide freely when you use the QR.

It really sux cause I love the new rrd Religion but this problem with the bar really makes me uncomfortable.

And I repeat it again. Where the hell are the RRD marketing guys, dealers and distributors when customers need them?

I don't want to believe nobody affiliated with RRD reads the forum...

Guys wake up. You losing customers if you don't address the issue.

Longwave
Rare Poster
RRD Addiction 14m etc... and kitesurfboards (F-One fish 5'2", Underground 5'8", surfboards and a North nugget)

Postby Longwave » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:17 am

I used a "free safety line" back in 2007/08. Now in 2014 I certainly don't want to have a line tangling around. It's not safe, it tangles around and can be a real mess.
ER Preseidente, you are absolutely right! RRD should comment on the posts about their products.
Help their customers.
I am selling my brand new Obsession MK VI with the new V6 bar , Plenty of other brands out there! Got enough!

wetdog
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012

Postby wetdog » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:25 pm

BillyGoatGruff wrote: I am not a fan of the double front line flag out either. I posted a while ago and was told that the "F-One bar" and "Mutiny bar" work fine on all RRD Obsessions, they are both single line flag out bars.
F-one does not have single front line safety.

Longwave
Rare Poster

Postby Longwave » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:10 am

Hi Wetdog, How does the F-One release works when the kite has the LE in the water? Does the kite stay in a pulling position or does it lay down or its back? If it does lay down then the safety have been properly thought by the F-One team. This is not the case with the RRD obsession MKVI (2014). The kite keeps pulling and does not lay down on its back after been released . The safety has not been finalised properly.

I send this message last Friday to RRD International (through their Facebook page):

Would you mind to make some comments on this forum about RRD V6 bar?
Thanks.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2384406&p=836979#p836979
Kiteforum.com • View topic - RRD bar V6 modification
www.kiteforum.com

Wait and see

Return to “Kitesurfing”