Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Strutless kite RRD

Forum for kitesurfers
pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Strutless kite RRD

Postby pmaggie » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:59 am

Strutless kites are for sure something everyone must test before condemning, in my case I never flow one so can't say anything about them. There are anyway, IMO, commercial reasons behind the fact that quite all the major brands are following this path: the "new" effect.
Reason are both on the buyer and the producer side.
Buyer side: let's consider the average joe kiter (like me). He is not so expert or passionate to buy a new kite every time a new model appears. The stuff he owns is ok for him until it suffers from wear and tear. Maybe he follows the forum and enjoy the gear tests but this does not mean he is going to substitute his "old" kite as soon as he reads about the model year XXXX. Things change when something completely new appears: in this case, our "normal" kiter will for sure be much more interested because he thinks he's not only replacing his old kite with a similar one but he's going to switch to something really new and advanced. It's the sensation people have, e.g., buying the latest smartphone: 90% they don't need it but they like to "own the future".
Brand side: when something really new appears, here it comes the fear to "lose the train", to discover too late that the idea was good and profitable or to be considered underdeveloped in comparison with the competitors.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:33 am

Strutless is not a revolution, its just a kite with different characteristics.

It will gain in some areas and lose in others. If you like what it gains more than what it loses then its going to suit you, if not it wont.

Not all strutless kites are the same, so what goes for one does not go for another.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:46 am

ronnie wrote:Strutless is not a revolution, its just a kite with different characteristics.

It will gain in some areas and lose in others. If you like what it gains more than what it loses then its going to suit you, if not it wont.

Not all strutless kites are the same, so what goes for one does not go for another.

IMO they are here to stay, simply because of the simplicity (when its done right).
:thumb: :thumb: Thx Ronnie, I wish people could be more like this overall..and perhaps especially in kiting. It is all about trade offs. Great kites have less negative trade offs, but they are all design choices that have consequences for a variety of characteristics.

Realizing that something works for some and not as much for others. I know what I like and what I am looking for in a kite.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:50 am

tautologies wrote:
ronnie wrote:Strutless is not a revolution, its just a kite with different characteristics.

IMO they are here to stay, simply because of the simplicity (when its done right).
:thumb: :thumb: Thx Ronnie, I wish people could be more like this overall..and perhaps especially in kiting. It is all about trade offs. Great kites have less negative trade offs, but they are all design choices that have consequences for a variety of characteristics.

Realizing that something works for some and not as much for others. I know what I like and what I am looking for in a kite.
When someone comes up with something like a C-Quad that is practical - that will be a revolution. :thumb:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:22 am

Well I'm thinking revolution is in the eye of the beholder. Whenever you find the kite that you love and dig you will feel it is a revolution. To me no strut and low strut kites have been more of a revolution than the first flat kites I tried.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:05 pm

i bet rrd didn't make bigger sizes because they couldn't manage heavy fluttering and impossible waterlaunch...

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:25 am

eree wrote:i bet rrd didn't make bigger sizes because they couldn't manage heavy fluttering and impossible waterlaunch...
...from a guy who has neither seen nor tried one. There is a virtual ton of proof of exactly the opposite of what you are saying.

Next thing I bet you argue gravity is a hoax and the wireless router rays will harm you. :thumb:

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:26 am

i bet rrd didn't make bigger sizes because they couldn't manage heavy fluttering and impossible waterlaunch...
it's a lot more likely that their LE and canopy shaping strategies didn't scale easily to 15m+.
Look at what the rrd and the trip have in common, contrast against the cloud and airush zero:
AR and canopy shape, LE size, bridle configuration tell the story.

By the way, if your kite is flapping, sheet in.
If you are a flyweight you don't need a 17 anyway (over 10 knots).
Or to put it another way, grow a pair or rig down to the appropriate size kite.
Riding all the time with a sheeted out kite is like riding the clutch in a car, it doesn't smell right after a while, struts or no struts!

The water launch is easy by the way and can be seen in videos from a year ago.
True it is possible to screw it up, but ...some people can screw anything up.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:48 pm

Tiny video of the 17m RRD strutless kite.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=67 ... =2&theater

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:11 pm

BWD wrote:Well Tom, maybe nobody would like that.
But the Cloud is not like that in my opinion.
Since you bring it up, with the Cloud, it's more like this:
The first 6 inches of bar throw give you more depower than you get from most kites by moving the bar that amount, and little or no luffing/flapping.
Keep sheeting out and the luffing starts, and so does the drift.
Sheet out too much, maybe a foot and a half (like if you take the kite out in too much wind for the first time) and the canopy luffs a lot and makes noise.
Give it a try before condemning it.

The RRD emotion kite looks nice to me.
If Aummm hates it, it can't be all bad!
It is higher AR, but looks like it keeps stability by having more "bow" traits, smaller tips but maybe more coning. It would be nice to see a better video showing it reacting to more sheeting and maneuvers. It seems like strutless is still not the way to go for kiteloops, there is just not enough inertia to keep the tip rotating and finish the loop fast, or so it seems from the video.
Would have to see the same size in the same wind to compare properly with the RRD, but I think this is the 8m Cloud C1 being looped by Ryan Toaspern.
Seems to reinforce that, like strutted kites, strutless kites can come with a range of characteristics.

Return to “Kitesurfing”