Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: North new kite Juice

Postby Westozzy » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:56 am

NorCalNomad wrote:First off...sorry for the thread drift with this post. I'll try to dig up some solid info on the juice this weekend.

Sure doing huge loops and airstyle certainly has a cool look and feel to it but I'm about to speak very objectively so don't take it personally.

A lot of airstyle tricks can look easy/ hooky/ novelty, where as wakestyle looks hard and ultimately more "marketable", let me explain why.

Look at most airstyle riding you see out there the person has a pretty smooth landing and plenty of time to do their trick and get their board back around on their feet in from the air they're getting. Now you look at wakestyle riding where they are doing FAST multiple rotations, bar passes, and board grabs low to the water.

Even most people who don't do extreme sports will easily make a judgement that the things performed faster and in a shorter period of time to do the trick looks harder or more exciting.

Also the fact that wakestyle riding is more closely resembling other extreme board sports so they already can draw similarities and levels of difficulty to those. This is also where the marketability aspect comes in, it's familiar enough for people to understand it, and the potential scoring therefore enjoy watching it. This is something that plagues many other extreme sports that I've seen grow or try to attract attention from outside the sport.

These are some of the reason why airstyle and competitions for it have fallen by the wayside in the evolution of kiting.

Appreciate you point of view but honestly, the general public, including most kiters do not appreciate the technical difficulty of most of the moves. They have no appreciation for the time, risk (to the body) and dedication it takes to ride at the top level in the PKRA.

pKRA events remind of my a group of highly skilled and those that want to be, electric guitarist standing around at a small jazz club commenting and appreciating the technical nature of the moves. The majority don't get it and honestly even I get tired of watching it after a while and I know what each move is. I get it, I dig it I appreciate it, but the general public, nah.

Also I don't subscribe to your use of the word evolution in this context. There should at the very least divergent evolution in all areas but I would win very easily a bet on which style would attract the most crowds, media and ultimately financial exposure. Airstyle has not been given the opportunity to evolve, Christ I was watching a clip last night from 2004, some awesome stuff. Imagine what a pro rider could do given the opportunity to develop their skills in this area. Evolution...that's sound suspiciously like the born again strapless Sb riders who bang on about their superior skills and crew like myself who have been surfing since the age of 5 just shake our heads in amusement. It's not that bloody hard! The aerial SB riders now that's something. But hey the pro surfers are still kicking your ass and they don't have a method of power generation apart from the waves themselves!

Hanging upside down 50 foot in the air doing a king deadman, what's more spectacular than that, seriously for the mass audience. Imagine what a fearless young buck could do with that!! Just stand on the beach for while (or listening carefully if your ego needs a stroke or two) and listen to the 'wohs' when someone goes big and does some spectacular stuff up there with smoothness and grace...then there's the one kiting geek (who probably can't even kite) appreciating some guy in boots throwing down some complicated unhooked powered move.

The basic theme of your conjecture has been banged on the drum in the name of kiting progression for far too long now. It's time to respect and evolve all the areas of kiting and a kite company with even a small measure of common sense would be wise to take this commercial opportunity.

It's a good discussion to have.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:01 am

Handle will be finalized soon...just need another good session to test it.

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:09 am

... Juice looks very much like the Neo to me and from what I heard the Neo is a grunty kite for its size so maybe a big 18m "Neo" will be suuuuuper powerful. I wonder if the Juice will be good upwind.

Its all very interesting indeed.

:D

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:20 am

Puetz wrote:... Juice looks very much like the Neo to me and from what I heard the Neo is a grunty kite for its size so maybe a big 18m "Neo" will be suuuuuper powerful. I wonder if the Juice will be good upwind.

Its all very interesting indeed.

:D

Might be a decent wave kite for ya robbie :D

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:17 pm

Designer's comment about the Juice:

The Juice is a handling-oriented light-wind kite. Good power, range and turning. Even pretty nice on a hydrofoil and fairly fast upwind.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:39 pm

honestly, the general public, including most kiters do not appreciate the technical difficulty of most of the moves.
A little girl was watching at the launch two days ago and she had a cell phone she could call her dad who was at work with.

Every time a kiter landed some air, it could be 2 feet or 20 feet, she called up her dad and told him "You missed a huge jump!"

Don't miss the forest for the trees. Wakestyle doesn't do anything for the general public. Remember the little girl. That's what the general public likes.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:52 pm

I heard from one of the Horses mouths that North is for sure working on a Light wind kite to be released around Sept. Maybe the Juice is it. I do need THE JUICE to move my 241 Pies.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:19 pm

edt wrote:
honestly, the general public, including most kiters do not appreciate the technical difficulty of most of the moves.
Wakestyle doesn't do anything for the general public. Remember the little girl. That's what the general public likes.
While you're off impressing little girls, we get plenty of people on the beach that are amazed with wakestyle. Maybe you're not impressing them with wakestyle because you can't do wakestyle?

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:04 pm

dyyylan wrote:While you're off impressing little girls, we get plenty of people on the beach that are amazed with wakestyle. Maybe you're not impressing them with wakestyle because you can't do wakestyle?
funny. statistically boys are very hard to find in the ballet or figure skating classes, it is close to 100% girls field of expertise. so you are trying to tell us the wakestyle is different? i don't think so.

people don't do wakestyle because they don't like it. i'm really trying not to know some freestyle tricks names. i just don't care about this discipline. in fact so do the majority of the kiters in my place. lately i have found that less than 1% of the kiters seriously interested in racing. my estimate on serious wakestylers here is in the region of 1,5%.
but you know what? almost everybody jumps and tries big air!

but speaking about the juice, we can not speak for sure it is good big air kite. high AR, tree struts and small LE diameter? tighter arc is for better turning speed, since higher AR kites are notoriously slow to turn. seems like more practical respond to the strutless madness.

to be good big air kite it has to have higher wing profile. lower profile good upwind racing kites can get you in the air but once you are up the air speed of this kite is dropping fast, so does the lift. and you are falling down like a stone.

Oldpeople
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San andres
Style: Free ride old school
Gear: north dyno

Postby Oldpeople » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:53 pm

one more example: I was kiting down in San Andres last month. There are a fair number of pretty good freestyle riders down there and a lot of people come to kite there so people do see good/hard unhooked tricks from wakestyle riders.
Toby came kiting down to the kite beach one day when he was there and started doing some of his airstyle tricks. people came off the beach and waded out into the water to be able to take better pictures. everyone on the beach stopped to watch. Kiters and non kiters alike. People wanted to talk to him and have their pictures taken with him when he landed. This was the reaction from people/kiters who didn't know who he was and just had watched him. I have never seen this reaction when someone was doing very nice wake style tricks here.
If you really want a little test. make up two short videos, one with airstyle tricks and the other with wakestyle. Both with the hardest tricks out there. Show them to a bunch of non kiters and kiters and ask them which was more fun to watch.
I am an old school rider but I really appreciate the skill of the unhooked tricks. I just think there really is a market for airstyle competitions.

Return to “Kitesurfing”