Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Does a rash guard help?

Postby SSK » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:50 pm

Does it make it any warmer to wear a polyester rash guard under ones wetsuit?

Like edt said. If it is a polypro (fleece) lined rashguard, it will. Like wool, polypro retains a high majority of its insulating property even when wet. Also It is also hydrophobic and will push water away. An extra mm of polypro does not have the same insulation as an extra mm of neoprene, but it still is providing additional insulation without the added weight and restriction. This is why a lot of suits now are lined with polypro. An unlined rashguard will not do much since it does not have the same insulating properties as polypro.

On the outside it would do the opposite. Most wetsuits for wind sports are smooth skin unlike surfing suits. Surfing suits have nylon (nylon 2) usually on both the inside and outside. This provides durability but sacrifices warmth. In a windy environment the water retained by the nylon on the outside of the suit evaporates as the wind blows across. This takes energy cooling you down.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Does a rash guard help?

Postby BWD » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:45 pm

Depends on the rash guard.
I have one I got last year that is a tight weave propylene that is very hydrophobic and it does keep me warm, but not too warm, wet or dry. The effect with a loose weave polypropylene undershirt or polyester rash guard is the opposite -too hot when dry, cold when wet. Have not tried it on top of wetsuit though. It could not really help though on top I think

Return to “Kitesurfing”