Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

US Kiteboarder Association recently formed

Forum for kitesurfers
KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: US Kiteboarder Association recently formed

Postby KYLakeKiter » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:01 pm

OK. Sounds like you have previous experience with the formation of other groups, so I respect your experience and opinion.

That being said, the formation of this group still doesn't bother me, and it is not a big deal to me who is in charge or how they got there. Just like you have seen, maybe they will do a good job, maybe not. Time and actions will tell.

As for the "King" I could care less what group of letters someone might be the head of. If you want to impress me, just be a billionaire and kite with naked chicks on you back. :thumb: I doubt anyone will ever top that, so competition over. :lol:

There it is. The RBCGKA is now formed and we all know who is in charge and why. :naughty:

spikiteboarding
Rare Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island
Favorite Beaches: SPI Kite Ranch
Style: all
Gear: NORTH
Liquid Force
Ben Wilson Surf
North Pacific Surfboards
ION - NSI
Brand Affiliation: South Padre Island Kiteboarding
SPI Kite Ranch
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby spikiteboarding » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:41 pm

KYLakeKiter wrote:
Laughingman wrote:
SpaceRacer wrote:I think you guys are inferring too much out of this. If you were travelling with 15 people to the same hotel, would you look for a deal? Would the hotel be happy to offer a deal? So would everyone involved be happy? However, what if you are travelling only by yourself, would you be able to score as big of a deal from a hotel? Would a hotel be inclined to give you the same deal flying solo? But what if you were part of an organization that coordinated 14 other strangers from all over the world who happen to be travelling to the same area at the same time and thus the 15 of you could use this information as buying power to score the same deal as the first scenario up top? What if it only cost you $49 to access this information and buying power for lessons, travel, gear, photography, etc.? What if the $49 were fully refundable if you were not 100% satisfied? Why would you not just be curious and interested in the possibilities of an idea that was put in place for EVERYONE'S benefit instead of crucifying the idea from the get go?
The buyers club is not the issue here, it is how they have presented themselves. Sure they are talking about a buyers club, but they are also talking about kite safety, which suggest the actual scope of what they may or may not inject themselves into is still up in the air. As of yet they have not answered questions pertaining to what their actual full intention is except to say that since they are self appointed "kings of the castle" they can do what they want and they are not being straight forward about what that is.... or who they are....
Dang Pete. This one really has your knickers in a bunch. Right out of the gate you sound like the Kiwimike of the USKA and you haven't even given them any money. :lol:

After reviewing their site, I don't see anything that bothers me. I am not ready to give them my $49 yet, but I registered with them a couple of months ago because I like to get in contact with other kiters in my area.

It doesn't appear to me like they want to change any safety standards. What I saw was encouraging IKO and PASA instruction. Never a bad message.

My only concern with the buyers club thing is the effect it might have on local shops who seem to struggle enough already. That's just business though. Supply and demand will always balance themselves out.

I would say relax and let this thing play out a little. Rick seems like a smart guy with a record of accomplishment, so maybe this can turn out to be something good. The kiting community will either embrace the concept, or turn into the angry hoard with torches and pitch forks. :lol: (the later seems more likely on KF sometimes)

Peace,
Dave
In a nutshell, I can vouch for my local shop, SPI Kiteboarding est. 2002, and say that we are NOT excited about the Costco Kite Association involving the new mayor of SPI, subsequently the owner of the 3 hotels giving discounts, Switch Kites and some novice kiter. :argue:

We are excited about forming the islands only exclusive kiteboarding club and wind park! 8) :P

The SPI Kite Ranch is also hosting the 2014 KiteXpo Nov 14 - 16th :thumb:

Kiteboarding is not only our passion, it's our lifestyle! :remybussi: Spread the kite love!

Jason Norwood - IKO #3654 - SPI, Hood River, Maui, La Ventana

http://www.thekiteboarder.com/spikitexpo/

www.spikiteranch.com

www.spikiteboarding.com

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TheJoe » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:44 am

RicCat wrote:I see their getting the following SPI hotel discounts for their members:

Oct 1, 2014 - Feb 1, 2015
Hilton - $75 rooms
La Quinta - $59 rooms
La Copa - $49 rooms

Anyone whose been to SPI knows these room rates are very very low for these hotels.

Laughingman, it sounds like you can do better?

Looks to me like its much more than an just a good looking website. Might want to give the organization more than one day before you pass judgement.

Rick
It's off season for SPI every room on the island is discounted during the off season.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:27 am

NOT going for any type of cynicism here, ( well, maybe a little)
But
when i give my $58 for membership in the AMA, so i can fly my
model airplane ...
here is what i get :

$2,500,000 personal liability insurance coverage
$25,000 Medical Coverage-AD&D Policy ($10,000 Death Benefit)
$1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism coverage

https://www.modelaircraft.org/joinrenew.aspx

So WHAT would be the advantage of giving this new up-start , 50 bucks
of my money, once again ?

Bille

Return to “Kitesurfing”