Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

US Kiteboarder Association recently formed

Forum for kitesurfers
Coloradokiter
Medium Poster

Re: US Kiteboarder Association recently formed

Postby Coloradokiter » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:51 pm

Hi, I do not understand the "Buyers Club". I can call any shop in the US and over the phone negotiate a good fair discount. So why pay a members fee for a card with a member number? Are you saying the members get even a higher discount? Or are you buying huge amounts of gear and warehousing it for discounts...like Cosco?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:34 pm

eree wrote:is this some kind of joke?

usually if it is the some "national kiteboarding association" it is national non-profit sports federation for representing nation on international level, not the discount cub membership.

they don't have program, but they have a "mission":
-share the stoke
-spend less & ride more
-ride responsibly

this is ridiculous. Toby, you should charge them for commercial activity on your forum

PS: wow, there's my 1000th! where is my cake?
I agree 100%, this is very much a commercial activity and should not be located in the general forum.

:happybirthday: :congrats:

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby stefaans » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:35 pm

HAHA, just decided to make yourself king of the castle huh.

NO he will not be representing any kiters we have the AKA that represents us already and cast our vote.

VOMKB
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force
Been thanked: 0

Postby VOMKB » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:48 pm

AKA = Another Kitesurfing Association?

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:18 pm

Re: the use of the word "Costco"

"Sorry you disapprove of the term."

To clarify: I don't disapprove of the term, if fact I am a big fan of Costco. I just don't know if Costco will be a big fan of the USKA buyer's club using their brand term. Hopefully, the legal staff of the USKA has approved of the USKA using the term in the manner that the national non-profit corporation (?) is using the term. Costco's legal council may view the use of this highly respected term as "riding the coat-tails" of their business, and therefore a violation of some form of trademark or copyright infringement. Hopefully, the D and O section of the organization's insurance would defend the directors and officers along with the members in any legal action. It looks like it would not be hard for the lawyers to locate the members, since many of the members are listed in the non-password protected section of the website.

http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_fil ... ndards.pdf

"All use of the Costco Wholesale logo and/or the Costco Wholesale brand is subject to the control of Costco Wholesale Corporation. Usage of the Costco Wholesale logo must be approved prior to display."

SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Postby SpaceRacer » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:49 am

I think you guys are inferring too much out of this. If you were travelling with 15 people to the same hotel, would you look for a deal? Would the hotel be happy to offer a deal? So would everyone involved be happy? However, what if you are travelling only by yourself, would you be able to score as big of a deal from a hotel? Would a hotel be inclined to give you the same deal flying solo? But what if you were part of an organization that coordinated 14 other strangers from all over the world who happen to be travelling to the same area at the same time and thus the 15 of you could use this information as buying power to score the same deal as the first scenario up top? What if it only cost you $49 to access this information and buying power for lessons, travel, gear, photography, etc.? What if the $49 were fully refundable if you were not 100% satisfied? Why would you not just be curious and interested in the possibilities of an idea that was put in place for EVERYONE'S benefit instead of crucifying the idea from the get go?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:59 pm

SpaceRacer wrote:I think you guys are inferring too much out of this. If you were travelling with 15 people to the same hotel, would you look for a deal? Would the hotel be happy to offer a deal? So would everyone involved be happy? However, what if you are travelling only by yourself, would you be able to score as big of a deal from a hotel? Would a hotel be inclined to give you the same deal flying solo? But what if you were part of an organization that coordinated 14 other strangers from all over the world who happen to be travelling to the same area at the same time and thus the 15 of you could use this information as buying power to score the same deal as the first scenario up top? What if it only cost you $49 to access this information and buying power for lessons, travel, gear, photography, etc.? What if the $49 were fully refundable if you were not 100% satisfied? Why would you not just be curious and interested in the possibilities of an idea that was put in place for EVERYONE'S benefit instead of crucifying the idea from the get go?
The buyers club is not the issue here, it is how they have presented themselves. Sure they are talking about a buyers club, but they are also talking about kite safety, which suggest the actual scope of what they may or may not inject themselves into is still up in the air. As of yet they have not answered questions pertaining to what their actual full intention is except to say that since they are self appointed "kings of the castle" they can do what they want and they are not being straight forward about what that is.... or who they are....

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby KYLakeKiter » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:39 pm

Laughingman wrote:
SpaceRacer wrote:I think you guys are inferring too much out of this. If you were travelling with 15 people to the same hotel, would you look for a deal? Would the hotel be happy to offer a deal? So would everyone involved be happy? However, what if you are travelling only by yourself, would you be able to score as big of a deal from a hotel? Would a hotel be inclined to give you the same deal flying solo? But what if you were part of an organization that coordinated 14 other strangers from all over the world who happen to be travelling to the same area at the same time and thus the 15 of you could use this information as buying power to score the same deal as the first scenario up top? What if it only cost you $49 to access this information and buying power for lessons, travel, gear, photography, etc.? What if the $49 were fully refundable if you were not 100% satisfied? Why would you not just be curious and interested in the possibilities of an idea that was put in place for EVERYONE'S benefit instead of crucifying the idea from the get go?
The buyers club is not the issue here, it is how they have presented themselves. Sure they are talking about a buyers club, but they are also talking about kite safety, which suggest the actual scope of what they may or may not inject themselves into is still up in the air. As of yet they have not answered questions pertaining to what their actual full intention is except to say that since they are self appointed "kings of the castle" they can do what they want and they are not being straight forward about what that is.... or who they are....
Dang Pete. This one really has your knickers in a bunch. Right out of the gate you sound like the Kiwimike of the USKA and you haven't even given them any money. :lol:

After reviewing their site, I don't see anything that bothers me. I am not ready to give them my $49 yet, but I registered with them a couple of months ago because I like to get in contact with other kiters in my area.

It doesn't appear to me like they want to change any safety standards. What I saw was encouraging IKO and PASA instruction. Never a bad message.

My only concern with the buyers club thing is the effect it might have on local shops who seem to struggle enough already. That's just business though. Supply and demand will always balance themselves out.

I would say relax and let this thing play out a little. Rick seems like a smart guy with a record of accomplishment, so maybe this can turn out to be something good. The kiting community will either embrace the concept, or turn into the angry hoard with torches and pitch forks. :lol: (the later seems more likely on KF sometimes)

Peace,
Dave

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby KYLakeKiter » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:43 pm

tomatkins wrote:Re: the use of the word "Costco"

"Sorry you disapprove of the term."

To clarify: I don't disapprove of the term, if fact I am a big fan of Costco. I just don't know if Costco will be a big fan of the USKA buyer's club using their brand term. Hopefully, the legal staff of the USKA has approved of the USKA using the term in the manner that the national non-profit corporation (?) is using the term. Costco's legal council may view the use of this highly respected term as "riding the coat-tails" of their business, and therefore a violation of some form of trademark or copyright infringement. Hopefully, the D and O section of the organization's insurance would defend the directors and officers along with the members in any legal action. It looks like it would not be hard for the lawyers to locate the members, since many of the members are listed in the non-password protected section of the website.

http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_fil ... ndards.pdf

"All use of the Costco Wholesale logo and/or the Costco Wholesale brand is subject to the control of Costco Wholesale Corporation. Usage of the Costco Wholesale logo must be approved prior to display."
Just replace the word Godzilla with Costco in this clip and your legal problems are solved. :lol:

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:42 pm

Hey Dave
Yep, they certainly hit my pet peeve right on the nose. The CKA was formed the same way, and so was the OKA, although the OKA has done some good things, and I respect Matt, he is still self appointed, although given the chance I would vote for him..... our group SWOK was started by the community, all we did was give them a way to communicate.

If all they are is a buyers club then why not call themselves the USKBC, then change their logo so they don't resemble other sporting associations who do actually represent their respective sports?
Mark my words, Mike is going for broke here, I think he has visions of being the lion king of North American kite boarding.

FYI you do not need USKA in order to communicate with other local kiters, just start a google group mailing list and a Facebook Group. We use this up here for onsite reports, news, events, buying/selling and generally growth of our community. It works fantastic.
Cheers
Pete

Return to “Kitesurfing”