RagingGrandpa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Michigan
Style: TT, HF, SB, snow, ice
Gear: nothing special

Re: Climbing harness on the water

Postby RagingGrandpa » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:29 pm

4-yr bump:

I'm a climber turned kiter, and prefer a big wall climbing harness in the water vs a waist harness (but will confess I haven't ridden with a modern hardshell harness- they do feel nice in a storeroom tho). With the climbing harness I feel that I can hold more power without getting pulled into a folded posture / poo stance.

It's not perfect- no spreader bar, so more hip pinch. I use it snowkiting too, but with the leg straps over so many layers of winter clothing, it's difficult to position the harness in a way that doesn't trap the boys...

But I didn't understand the points in this thread about loading your spine. I wear the waist strap of my climbing harness below my iliac spines, so the loads are going in at the hip (or, through the arms). Perhaps other people wear the climbing harness at their waist?

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:01 pm

Me too. I snowkite full time in a climbing harness and take a climbing harness for short water kite trips as it packs smaller. Maybe the new gen kite harnesses are better but most older kite harnesses are still rudimentary. Granted, I've been hanging in a climbing harness for decades so I'm used to it.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:12 pm

I have bilateral sacroiliitis from an autoimmune disorder, as well as a bulged disc at L4/L5 and a massive herniation at L5/S1. As I conclude my rehab, I've been talking to folks with similar injuries who kite for the best harness for hydrofoiling without causing pain or instability. A friend who also hydrofoils and runs a kite retail/lesson shop on the east coast has a similar low back injury and has toyed around with getting surgery, as have I. His recommendation was to get a Dakine Vegas seat harness with a Dynabar sliding spreader; I tried it out the other day and the difference from my Mystic Force Shield seat harness is night and day. The Dynabar takes all the torque and pinch off the hips by letting the hook slide to the side the kite is on, very comfortable and a great relief to find a harness that doesn't cause pain.

kassak
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kassak » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:00 am

Be careful or better yet totally avoid using the harness for climbing again. Climbing harness generally have aluminum hardware which can corrode quite easily especially in saltwater

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:36 pm

^^ +1 I'd never climb again on a climbing harness that has been in salt water. I wouldn't have peace of mind.

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jaros » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:44 pm

Is anybody using the Black Diamond Big Gun for kiting on water? It seems it could be one of better choices from climbing harnesses...
These users thanked the author jaros for the post:
Avo (Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:49 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Postby alamos_kiter » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:28 am

I made myself a kiting harness copying a climbing harness, but set up for spreader. Works a treat for years now.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jaros » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:39 am

Nice!
Is there a reason you are using it with a spreader bar? I see Ozone has two versions, with and without the bar. I thought it is becouse you can not unhook without spreader...

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Postby alamos_kiter » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:05 pm

without spreader I can't mount a sliding hook

Return to “Kitesurfing”