Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: European vs American kite culture

Postby soul19 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:14 pm

piccio wrote:Hey Piccio,

I like that challenge as it makes for a great time :thumb: The only issue is the part of imposing on others to save some money. The Canadian in me see's the beauty in a tent and 30 days of living with no required destination. Lose the whole mooching off buddies/family and do a real road trip. Camping on a secluded beach with the sound of the waves crashing on the beach and the warmth of a campfire is an amazing experience. Waking up to that first coffee and knowing that the sunrise is going to make the dawn patrol sessions the highlight of the trip absolutely Epic! . Hitting a spot that is firing and being able to stay until the wind quits or you do is what it is all about. No wind than a quick internet search to see what area is going off next is the only road map needed. No requirements to be anywhere but the ability to be everywhere is what the North American road trip is all about. It appears that you think that extended trips is an isolated thing to your neck of the woods. Extended road trips is a right of passage for most of us as is traveling to other countries.

James
everyone likes that way ,put together wishes of wife,sons,friends(kiters and not),find a good and safe place with nice weather wind waves and good foods is a "mission impossible"
camping on a tent for 30 or more days?
where is that place?
let's go togheter! will be a wonderful circus!
it is not a challenge between US and EU simply because there is only one at the start,
you cannot partecipate!!!!!! monday morning is waiting for you every week!!!!!!!!
do not misunderstand me ,do not hate US ctz. Our kiting life ,relationship and politics are two different things.
US way of living will have one result: our sons will live worse than us .
should be 50 per cent working for toys and other 50 for using the rebels!
would not have been better sink nina pinta and santa maria and send cristoforo on a horse south or east?

ooops!!!!! dear Toby why don't you make a dedicated forum section for trolling ,insulting and offending each other? opening at our own risk ,president of course Bob M.[/quote]

Something must be lost in the translation! You seem to believe that all North Americans live to work.... you are sadly mistaken brother! Monday mornings don't mean anything to me... Yes there are people that work a 9to5 but not everyone. Unless you are independently wealthy than you have to report to work at some time. My quality of life (and I can only speak on my behalf) is very high..... I do work a high stress job (Paramedic) but I get paid very well and work less than 4 months combined for the year (after holidays and stats)! I use kiting and other outdoor pursuits to keep myself balanced. I don't stress over the things I cannot control nor do I allow myself to be burdened with trying to compete with the jones's! I live my life doing the things that I love to do. My profession enables me the time off and resources to travel a lot. My wife shares the same desire to be as free as possible and my kids are learning that there is a big beautiful world outside!

James

The beauty of my North American job enables me to have the luxury to be off for three months at a time while still collecting my pay cheque! It doesn't come down to where you live but the lifestyle you choose to have!

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby matth » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:03 pm

Exactly, its a choice
I could work more and make more money, but I prefer a balance. I tell my kids all the time get educated and work hard so you can do the things you love to do. If you do not build some sort of foundation while you are young , you will pay a price the rest of your life.
Anyone can control their destiny, but it takes work and effort. The rewards are well worth it!!

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:14 pm

matth wrote:Exactly, its a choice
I could work more and make more money, but I prefer a balance. I tell my kids all the time get educated and work hard so you can do the things you love to do. If you do not build some sort of foundation while you are young , you will pay a price the rest of your life.
Anyone can control their destiny, but it takes work and effort. The rewards are well worth it!!
A choice? I'd rather say a must! choice is when you can choose .aren't you telling them to work hard otherwise they "will pay a price for the rest of their life" where is the other chance?
anyway here in italy we are on the same way ! no much chances ,crisis ,no money ,corruption,unenployment ,everyone is arranging to make a "fundation "to prepare the future.hard translations ! better go sleeping ,tomorrow is windy
f*** Bob Marley I want to be president of trollers!!!!!!!!!!!

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:13 am

blacktip wrote:
Osprey1 wrote:As a U.S. citizen ...
Question. Are you a U.S. citizen, or are you an American?

BIG difference.

As a U.S. citizen you're pretty screwed. You are employee of a corporation called the UNITED STATES, a sly way to deceive Americans into believing they are dealing with the real government of the states united. U.S. is a corporation that is about to go bust and that therefor has to go to more and more extreme measures to keep the revenue coming in, simply by increasing taxes on its citizens, or by invading other countries to rob them of their wealth and resources.U.S. soldiers do not defend the people of America, they are defending U.S. corporate interests. U.S. citizens are bound and ruled by corporate law and are not protected by the constitution.

As an American youre not restricted and limited by the deceivers in Washington D.C. You have the constitution to protect youre rights and freedom. An American protected by the constitution probably enjoys the most Freedom and Rights any man in the world can have. So its well worth to look into this matter and defend what it means to be American.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
-- Patrick Henry

http://www.usavsus.info/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1jFlhpyCP0
Blacktip, you're spot-on! :thumb:

ktflyer381
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks
Style: Freeride, freestyle, strapless
Gear: Shinn, North

Postby ktflyer381 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:37 am

mede wrote:
blacktip wrote:
Osprey1 wrote:As a U.S. citizen ...

BIG difference.

As a U.S. citizen you're pretty screwed. You are employee of a corporation called the UNITED STATES, a sly way to deceive Americans into believing they are dealing with the real government of the states united. U.S. is a corporation that is about to go bust and that therefor has to go to more and more extreme measures to keep the revenue coming in, simply by increasing taxes on its citizens, or by invading other countries to rob them of their wealth and resources.U.S. soldiers do not defend the people of America, they are defending U.S. corporate interests. U.S. citizens are bound and ruled by corporate law and are not protected by the constitution.

As an American youre not restricted and limited by the deceivers in Washington D.C. You have the constitution to protect youre rights and freedom. An American protected by the constitution probably enjoys the most Freedom and Rights any man in the world can have. So its well worth to look into this matter and defend what it means to be American.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
-- Patrick Henry

Perhaps you meant Republican?

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:18 pm

ktflyer381 wrote:
mede wrote:
blacktip wrote:

BIG difference.

-- Patrick Henry

Perhaps you meant Republican?
At this point, this thread has crossed into the political conversations that I come to Kiteforum to get away from. :-?

I think the intent of this thread is luxury vs. economy kite trips. Luxury or economy of time and money. I take both kinds of trips. Although I never take a month, I do take a week at a time a few times a year and go enjoy a good kite spot and spring for a nice place to stay. I also take some kite "thunder runs" where I pick a location on Thursday night based on a forecast, drive 8 to 12 hours, kite as much as possible, camp on the beach, and drive home Sunday night after getting the last second of wind and sunlight. You can call it European or American style, but we all do what we can to kite when we can.

Bain
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Bain » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:32 pm

Bain wrote:
Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:59 am
^^ Hear Hear ^^

It's not all Americans that think like that though. Some of us still have half a brain on our shoulders. We are in a real crisis I think. Lots of uninformed, disinformed, extreme right wing folks towing the party line here. It really sucks.

Anyway, this thread was going ok but now it seems to be going south. I sense a Flamers paradise coming on.
2014….. god I hate being right.

dirk8037
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: xRide, Evo, Boost2, Religion MK8, Alpine

Postby dirk8037 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:29 am

Kind of ambaressing how this discussion went.
I read nothing about Kite Culture. Maybe a bit about culture and its misconceptions and a lot about the lower levels.

I also could start to hack on north vs south differences which can be quite drastic but its no point
and I would do no justice because most countries are so drasticly different in their actual culture, in the perception of their own and the others.
If someone did not travel EU he would not understand, as much as I have no clue of the US differences.

Yes we have here almost all more vacation than in the US.
For a funny reason, the luxory trip thing mentioned in the first post is from my perspective also applicable to the US.
The saying for the Carribian is, that the US tourists are responsible for the high prices, becasue they have much less time and therefore have higher budgets and less price sensitivity.
Me as a notoriously tightfisted Kraut has to distribute his coins on 3x vacation time.
I have a wife and a daughter - going feral is at (least with the wife) for most of the time no option.

And? .... Same, same but different.

BUT it has NOTHING to do with kite culture.

The differences in what you could call kite culture I experienced on Hawaii with starting and landing.
While, I guess that is the one thing the same all over Europe, you try to get someone to launch or catch the kite. Self land and start is ultima ratio.
There I felt like exposing me as a bloody Kook asking other kiters for it.
Starting from the grumpy farts sitting in theire beach chairs at the North Shore, waiting for the wind to pick up, to the actualy very helpful and nice folks at kite beach on Maui.
You would stand tall and launch/land on your own - which was quite fine for me once I found out.

Maybe we can all get grip and maybe tell tales on that.
Could be quite interesting for everyone and helpfull for everyone who is traveling.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:05 am

In US vacations are not guaranteed and lots of people get 2 weeks of vacation and know that it’s better than none.
Also kite trips are about kiting, partying is not as much fun as kiting :)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:40 am