Rare Poster
Gear: Airrush Lithium 7m, 9m, 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: European vs American kite culture

Postby SteveAC » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:16 pm

SonnyRider wrote:
Krazedkiter wrote:It seems to me that the Europeans are all into these kite resort type vacations where they spend 3-4 weeks at some kite club in some far off Country and are willing to spend their entire years savings on a kite trip. They like all inclusive resorts with beach boys and kite launchers and rescue boats and Bon fires at nite with bottles of wine and lots of social interaction.

Americans seem to be more hardcore and want multiple cheap no frills kite adventures with a couple of cases of Beer and cheap lodging with room sharing and kite all day and drink and eat all nite and do it again the next day mentality. We could care less for beach boys and kite launchers and dont need kite club staff to cater to all our needs. Then drive back at 2 am Sunday nite to make it back to work by Monday AM.

Not bashing either side, just an interesting observation from two different kite cultures. This is just my impression and maybe I have it wrong since I haven been to any overseas kite clubs. Is this how it is and if so why the difference in kite culture do you think?

Just saying'
So, lets get this right. You've not been to any of these so called 'kite clubs', but yet you seem to voice an opinion from your 'knowledge'?
Are you one of these people that when you overthink things it becomes the truth?

I can't work out if you are Trolling or not :-? :lol:
Yea it's a bit weird...

All I can say is I've shared kitehouse dorms with everyone from investment bankers, traveling bums and pros from all around the world and generally everyone is pretty down to earth.

I guess it might be a skewed viewpoint, if euros are traveling all the way to the US or caribbean it can be a pretty long trip and they probably treat it more as a full on holiday than a quick kite trip - so they pick the good resorts.

What you don't see is the long weekends in a smelly camper in South Wales or couch surfing in Tarifa?

Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Krazedkiter » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:15 pm

So what if this is a silly topic. I notice a lot if kite clubs and that most are outside the US and most cater to non US kiters. Us that a bad stereo type or just an observation based on facts.

So instead if turning this into hate wars, how bout tell us where your from and where you typically go for kite vacations.

I do the house rental in Hatteras a lot and do not prefer an all inclusive resort, well for kiting anyways. I would much rather spend all my time on the water since in my parts we don't have wind all year round.

I am not sorry for posting this topic because there was no bad intentions. I am sorry that it's turning into one of those threads.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:26 pm

Having lived in both US and EU the key difference starts with vacation time. Because EU gives more time (say 4-6 weeks), vacation spots are set up for long term. I was in the Canaries in a great spot for 50 Euro a night beach front. Similar in Greece. I can stay a month there! And low cost flights match. Europeans are definitely not going broke with vacations.

The US is set up for a week max. Try to have a family vacation in Maui staying for 50 Euro a night. Maybe an individual renting a room but not a 2 br apartment. no way. US is more hotel or house, rarely apartment. And flights are very expensive too. There aren't discount flights to Caribbean or Maui. Americans only have limited vacation time, but the same budget gets burned in a week as a European spends in a month.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:34 pm

What about the rest of the world?

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:55 pm

Eduardo pretty much nailed it. 1 negative thing I see is many times the Euros travel with a big group and overcrowd a spot. Also when you travel with a group many times you miss out on interaction with locals and people who live in the area. Many people frown on pack travel. In surfing it is a no no :nono: Also where I live people many times fail to understand the local conduct in the water, maybe at home it is ok to not look when you jibe. Also the new group of posers learning strapless dont realize how annoying it is when someone behind them cannot pass because they just fell and leave their kite sky high at neutral as they attempt to get their strapless rig back haha, :baby: . Ride polite and pay attention to the local rules makes kiting so much nicer.

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:08 am

Dear Krazdekiter , kite culture does not exists,I go alone , with friends,a few or a lot,with wife,with family,far away,near home.
whatever to have fun in the water i try to go depending on time I have ,money, etc.
Best places I had fun was Hawaii,Cape Town ,Sardinia .
when we are in the water we are all the same ,most of the time I had fun togheter,whoever we are with.
person I liked most in entire life of water sport is robby naish,a legend and a good guy,and he is american!
went once only on a kite resort in cape verde (full of italians like me) and never more! I hate kite resort .stuff for sheeps,I like to move ,change ,decide,drive etc.
so is a silly question,if I had to go with americans kiting in us I will hurry up,let's inflate and go.
do not hate US at all.
I had before a fucking and shitting job (23 years cabin attendant international routes) and I had to see the world! I repeat I had to see it,did not want it a lot had to listen so many people ,see places ,observe cultures etc.
that's why i am pompous I recognise ,wife tells the same !
but this is it ,it's me I say and I said what I think always -
Dear idiot (not you Krdk),do not remember the nickname ,of course I have beard and hook for hand,I belong to the civilized country,I am living entire life with friends that I grow up with in the same street .we will die at the moment( my old father did) happy and satisfied seeing all family close togheter. I am happy, I will die happy!
unfortunately you were born and grew up in the best country fo working and vacation but in the worst country for living!
Hurry up and feed your dog that is the only thing you get when old and be prepared monday morning ....... slaves are not the blacks you took from africa ,it is you now!!!!!! open your eyes ,look around and think and do not see too many movies! long life to bob marley !!!!!!!

piccio
Frequent Poster

Postby piccio » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:03 am

Dear Sijandy ,forgive me! I have been too hard ,reading again you gave best answer !!!!!!
Dear Edoardo you are some confused ! US is the cheapest country for living and for vacation options while europe nearly most expensive .
Dear Starsky and Hutch yes I insult and I want to insult ,yust think who made last two wars in the world(iraq and libia) and killed so many people with reason other than gas!!!!!!!
YOU!!!!!!! followed by europeans also not to miss contracts !!!! but the point is not who forced or initiated or wanted the war .
Europeans knew and was clear that it was for gas while you have been filled of foolishness like freedom and democrecy for yustify it and you believed it !!!! why do not you go in siria now it is another country to fix up!!!!!!!!! but there is no gas .
another example ,try to buy freely a weapon in EU and yust to go around without using it ! we go right in jail.
you instead believe to what rifle lobby corporation says( not to mention ,unuseful)
in fact punctually killings all around your country!!!! almost never happened in our civilized countries .
you are driven from corporates that are driven from earnings ,it's a dog chasing his tail .
this all influence living style ,consequently" kite vacations cultures"
dear Toby you are not free of talking ,you are in the rule and in the role of the forum ,do not strain too much to give correct answers,be free and try to face a wave ,you will discover another sensation when the monster is behind you ready to eat you !!!!!
I did silly yumping for years!!!! my god !! so boring now!!!!! go on follow the sport !!!! it is drug!!! really

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:33 pm

Apparently your geography is on par with your English..... uh, no offence?
Last edited by Starsky on Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piccio
Frequent Poster

Postby piccio » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:45 pm

no offense at all starsky! is correct ,have been told so many time! try to do my best.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:08 pm

Just awesome.., europeans are all the same... americans are all the same....

whatever.. boring.... go travel far and wide, and learn about the world....

Return to “Kitesurfing”