Gear: RRD Obsession 7
Airrush DNA 10
LF Envy 12
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Nobile Split Foil (TT/foil crossover) - travel idea

Postby Wehavethewind » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:20 pm

https://nobilekiteboarding.com/products ... split-foil

It's a split TT that you can stick a foil on! Anyone got any reviews? Interested in travel quiver options for the future and if this worked it would be the best thing since sliced bread, potentially allowing to travel with this and a 2 or even 1 kite quiver and have 10-35 knts covered. I can't actually foil yet and am just indulging in some kit fantasising in lockdown...

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Re: Nobile Split Foil (TT/foil crossover) - travel idea

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:52 pm

I have last years version (different paint scheme). If you want to ask any direct questions I might be able to answer.

In general. Works very nicely as a TT. Stiff centre section, high rocker and soft tips giving good pop and soft landings. The keyless fins are the worst idea known to man. They snap far too easily. Take them off and use 2 regular screws instead if you are going to do more than cruise around. Not the easiest board for a beginner hydrofoiler. The deck is pretty slippery (and even the hexa pattern surf grip I have isn't grippy enough) and relatively narrow compared to many foil boards. Through in the fact that the bolt holes aren't in the right place for most regular foils (Moses/Shinn/Gong) and its going to be a challenging experience. Despite being carbon its also a little heavier than a regular board (about 400g heavier than my Shinn Ronson - though thats a smaller board which will make some difference) but I don't notice as I'm not at board offs yet. A good board that could replace your regular TT but not good enough to replace a dedicated foil board - except on short trips.

Can't comment on the current nobile foils, the older ones regularly seen discounted weren't seen to be as user friendly as the opposition but they were light.

Wehavethewind
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Southend, various south coast
Favorite Beaches: West Wittering
Southend
Diani - Kenya
Style: Freeride
Airrush DNA 10
LF Envy 12

Postby Wehavethewind » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:59 pm

Thanks for your review. The foil shortcomings wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me and could perhaps add some sort of customised deck pads for better grip. But it definitely sounds like I'd need to learn on something else.

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:15 pm

I have an NHP split board, and an infinity split foil, but haven't used this particular board.

My experience with both is that they have been good from a rigidity perspective, and they are both definitely good enough to learn on. I actually hooked my infinity split up to a slingshot hover glide system since that foil was more stable than the Nobile one.

I rode for 2 years straight on the NHP with the toolless fins and never had an issue. That being said the NHP isn't bomb proof like my previous slingshot board. I don't ride on the beach or get anywhere near hard objects, the paint chips, etc. On the infinity split foil board, I had issues with the deck padding coming unglued, and I've got some issues with it being a bit slippery when riding strapless (works fine foiling, less well when surfing and trying to turn really hard on a wave).

TLDR - Nobile will get the job done and performs better than I would have expected for a split board. The construction quality isn't what I would like, you can't just completely trash the stuff and never be concerned about it, with a bit of care it'll last.

Wehavethewind
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Southend, various south coast
Favorite Beaches: West Wittering
Southend
Diani - Kenya
Airrush DNA 10
LF Envy 12

Postby Wehavethewind » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:42 pm

Thanks bkkite that board looks a great option. One question, how do you find the 2 fin set up when riding it as a directional, how does it affect performance vs 3 or 4 fins?

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:06 pm

NHP Split is a good board, probably not as great as there has to be compromise on the fact that it can't have channel through whole bottom as it has W connector.

I had mine 2018 for over 2 years now and probably will be upgrading it due to size 138cm to size 142cm as for traveling I prefer to have larger board (better to be overpower than underpower on board).

I did think about NHP Split Foil board but it some in one size 139x41.5cm and for my 92kg it can be sometime too small.
I used to have Ronson 140cm but found it too soft and difficult to load & pop but maybe it was little too big? Its much easier to load and pop NHP with it medium rocker and stiffness but Ronson is better on chop

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:09 pm

Haven’t tried the all around split but I had two of the Zen foil split boards and a NHP carbon TT as well. The NHP is a good board with plenty of pop and soft landing with the rocker but due to design, it needs a lot of wind to be powered up. For this reason it’s not the best travel board(which in my opinion is why you buy a split board).

I really liked the concave of the Zen split foil board, it really helped progress my strapless HF. Unfortunately the foil connection can be weak and it limited on what size foil masts will work. You can drill out a Moses mast to make fit though.

Nobile has had countless generations now on the W connection for their split boards so they are pretty good. Even with this in mind, make sure you retighten the connection EVERY session. Even with the pins fully seated in, the connection can become loose which in turn can destroy the deck(puts more pressure on less material). I had a Zen board get destroyed this way.

Regarding the plastic thumb screws. You learn very early never to over tighten them or they will break. Just make them snug enough. I had hoped that they would have improved the plastic but it doesn’t sound like they have. I really wished they gave a couple extra with their boards for the learning curve. Even with their fragility, I like the concept of a completely tool less board and used them with my old original Flysurfer Flysplit M.

In a couple weeks I’ll be putting out a breakdown/review of the new Flysurfer Trip comparing it to the Nobile board as well. Couple things I like and couple things I dislike but I want to get more time back to back before I made my decision on what’s best.

=Jason-

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:14 pm

Wehavethewind wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:42 pm
Thanks bkkite that board looks a great option. One question, how do you find the 2 fin set up when riding it as a directional, how does it affect performance vs 3 or 4 fins?
Oh, great question. Forgot to mention that... I was disappointed to learn that it had a twin fin set up. My buddy who had the previous years version of the board... had a thruster set up on it... which is what I thought I was getting when I bought the new version.

Anyway, the twin fin definitely feels different, its no where near as locked in as my quad fin North nugget, its still more loose than my Slingshot Celero thruster. At first it really annoyed me, and now I'm kinda used to it. It's certainly not the best board for riding super over powered in big waves... but its basically my light wind back up board for when I travel. As the guys above said, the NHP, which I got in a 139 isn't great for lighter winds, so thats when I jump on the infinity foil (or in smaller waves).

You might be able to buy a larger twin fit set of fins to get a more locked in feel, I didn't end up trying that out.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:03 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:09 pm
The NHP is a good board with plenty of pop and soft landing with the rocker but due to design, it needs a lot of wind to be powered up. For this reason it’s not the best travel board(which in my opinion is why you buy a split board).

=Jason-
From last year it's not as big issue as it was before because they added 142cm size which should give you good LW capability for travel.

I had mine over two years and never broken these plastic thumb screws however I only use them for fins and handle and just don't overtighten them because these don't need to be very tight anyway.
For pads/straps I use normal screws.

I'm really interested in review of this FS trip as it made by Shinn. My guess is will be must softer board than NHP, more like Shinn Monk.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:30 pm

SolarSet wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:03 am
I'm really interested in review of this FS trip as it made by Shinn. My guess is will be must softer board than NHP, more like Shinn Monk.
So far first impressions...the channels help lock the board so the pop is just as good as the NHP. Has more range as well. Don’t like the fancy(complicated) fins that come with the board. Makes assembly/disassembly more difficult and greatly increases board weight. Really really nice foot pads.
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post:
SolarSet (Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:21 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”