What are "heli-loops"?

Forum for kitesurfers
dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A
Has thanked: 0

What are "heli-loops"?

Postby dyyylan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:11 am

I keep hearing this term, and I'm guessing I've seen them done in videos, for example some of Jesse Richman's jumps.

Is it just a downloop where the kite climbs back up the window, to keep the kite keep in the window and soften the landing?

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What are "heli-loops"?

Postby KYLakeKiter » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:19 am

I think heli-loops are tight loops overhead to keep the kite above you kind of parachute style while loosing altitude after a high boost or tow up. (hopefully not being CPT Obvious here)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ8M9BV6SQ8

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:34 am

any kiteloop without a yank is a helicopter loop. kite just spins overhead. lot of ways to do this, the easiest way is to do a big jump and then wait until after the top of the jump. On the way down, loop the kite, it will be gentle no yank and the kite will spin overhead and you won't land hot. For a megaloop you need to start looping the kite before you reach the top of the jump. Downloops are not as intense as a kiteloop so I don't think there's any particular terminology difference made out of a really powered downloop that might give you a yank and less powered one.
Last edited by edt on Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:38 am

Makes sense.

We don't really have strong wind here so most of the time I'm on a 12m or bigger, haven't really gotten a feel for those "tight loops" like you can do with smaller kites. Pretty much any loop on a 13m fuel will break your neck :P

Bigdog
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Style: Old and grey surfer dude style
Gear: Core xr5 and windego boards
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bigdog » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:46 am

I just got back from hatteras and got a 14 and 10ltd epic screamer 3g from DM. I am an old fart and can even loop the 14. Just commit even off a little jump. The 10 is is like flying a trainer...zoom zoom. I came from another brand and the screamer is so much easier in so many ways.

Stan

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:27 am

All good info. I reckon there is a distinction between a megaloop and a powered loop. In my mind a megaloop means at least 20 foot of air, will a powered loop..intiated the same way, just after the jump is not a 'mega' loop. Any agree? Megaloop is king of the air stuff. We do plenty of powered loops but mega loops, nah I gotta work and earn income the next day, can't risk it..lol

powerpersonified
Medium Poster
Style: wake
Been thanked: 0

Postby powerpersonified » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:35 am

you can really do them on any size kite. I tripped out in the past on friends that ride big octanes (16's and 14's) in alot of wind and they could get those big kites to loop so tight and fast. I fly fuels and you would be surprised how mellow they can be with this type of loop. It will really help with you style going big and landing super fast and soft.

I find its easier if your moving fast down wind when you throw them too. Its really the only way to keep the kite in front of you in some cases. Try throwing the kite for a jump from a little lower in the window for your jump to get that down wind speed and as you feel like you are going to swing under the kite pull hard on that front hand. its easy. they will make your boosted front rolls look sooooo smooth :thumb:

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:26 am

Westozzy wrote:All good info. I reckon there is a distinction between a megaloop and a powered loop. In my mind a megaloop means at least 20 foot of air, will a powered loop..intiated the same way, just after the jump is not a 'mega' loop. Any agree? Megaloop is king of the air stuff. We do plenty of powered loops but mega loops, nah I gotta work and earn income the next day, can't risk it..lol
I thought a mega loop is when the kite is as low or lower than the rider at some point when its looping?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:59 am

plummet wrote:
Westozzy wrote:All good info. I reckon there is a distinction between a megaloop and a powered loop. In my mind a megaloop means at least 20 foot of air, will a powered loop..intiated the same way, just after the jump is not a 'mega' loop. Any agree? Megaloop is king of the air stuff. We do plenty of powered loops but mega loops, nah I gotta work and earn income the next day, can't risk it..lol
I thought a mega loop is when the kite is as low or lower than the rider at some point when its looping?
Yeh ya right that's a better definition. Of course doing it 30 foot up is a mega mega loop :D

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:32 pm

Westozzy wrote:
plummet wrote:
Yeh ya right that's a better definition. Of course doing it 30 foot up is a mega mega loop :D
I'm still convinced that a mega loop involves free-falling and the kite catching you before you put your knees into your chin... anything else is a "kite loop".

Return to “Kitesurfing”