Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Chrono 15m kite review

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Thu May 01, 2014 10:27 am

Well if you want to buy a Lotus 12m for $2100.00 Including delivery PM me please. over 20% off retail and like new.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu May 01, 2014 11:35 am

I'm still enjoying my 12 serial :D which is to say, I'm broke at the moment :( and just have to make do...

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Thu May 01, 2014 5:16 pm

LOL

So one person said the Chrono jumps better and the other FS. :rollgrin:

I hold a 19m edge in 20kns at 80k so I'm confident I can hold either the FS or Chrono in 25-30 range.

Could you do me a favor? Can you take some pictures of the lines and where they disconnect from the bridles (if its not to much trouble? How long are they at the point of disconnect. 22-24m?

If I buy either I want to connect the North Bar and micro loop (Cant't fly without Micro loop)

I'm guessing the Chrono will jump higher depending on who's driving (High AR).

I've had FS's before so I'm familure with them. Also if the 12m FS is dropping you the bridles need adjusting for sure. Never trust the factory.... The FS 12m has a well know jumping capability in anything over 20kns

I'm after jump & float in 20-30kns. I have an 11 Edge that is a monster in 25kns. No issue getting level with the bridles of other kites.

How is the emergency release for self landing have you tried it on the Chrono? I know the last 15m sp3 I had without FLS (what ever the name was) was a bitch to land. You hit the release and it became a powerful rag in 15kns plus. How about the lotus has the release changed?

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Thu May 01, 2014 10:39 pm

s1buell_wl wrote:LOL

So one person said the Chrono jumps better and the other FS. :rollgrin:

I hold a 19m edge in 20kns at 80k so I'm confident I can hold either the FS or Chrono in 25-30 range.
Yes I fly my Edge 17m in over 20 knots too
Could you do me a favor? Can you take some pictures of the lines and where they disconnect from the bridles (if its not to much trouble? How long are they at the point of disconnect. 22-24m?
25m

If I buy either I want to connect the North Bar and micro loop (Cant't fly without Micro loop)
Not sure what a micro loop is but they have regular attachment points one larks head other knot

I'm guessing the Chrono will jump higher depending on who's driving (High AR). To be honest not one person out of 20+ kiters here could say the FS jumped anywhere near as high in under 20 knots. Maybe it has a nitro button on the FS bar? It rips you up in 3 phases often taking you higher and higher each time. Get your timing right pop, and get twice the height of just sending it. Just send it and you get very impressive height still. Chrono also floats 2-3 times longer so plenty of time to do your tricks

I've had FS's before so I'm familure with them. Also if the 12m FS is dropping you the bridles need adjusting for sure. Never trust the factory.... The FS 12m has a well know jumping capability in anything over 20kns
No idea how to do this. Is their factory in China? Sounds pretty Chinese factory tp me.

I'm after jump & float in 20-30kns. I have an 11 Edge that is a monster in 25kns. No issue getting level with the bridles of other kites.
I also have an Edge 11m and think the lift is comparable to a FS12m. Chrono 12 I am guessing much higher and longer. Too much for me.

How is the emergency release for self landing have you tried it on the Chrono? I know the last 15m sp3 I had without FLS (what ever the name was) was a bitch to land. You hit the release and it became a powerful rag in 15kns plus. How about the lotus has the release changed?
Haven't tried yet but think both would be a nightmare in higher winds especially. The Chrono looses it's internal wind faster so maybe this may help. I would assume same.
I am thinking of trying a tether and hook the chicken loop and brake handle into it in medium winds to backstall it. I think it may work in most cases unless overpowered. Releasing the safety sounds like a nightmare to untangle. I have spent 90min untangling a S3 19m after a release once.

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Thu May 01, 2014 11:08 pm

Tone wrote:
Okinawa Kiter wrote:Hi T

Hmm can't go wrong with either. Without being biased to either this is as close as I can explain it.

1) Chrono is like a ferrari. Need to treat it as such. It will rip you high. Bridles are a pain in the ass big time and you will be cursing at it the first severel times. Never fold the kite in half and role the kite up or you will be untangling for an hour next time. Roll each wing into centre with bridles rolling in the kite. Keep bar attached if you like then there is a velcro strap on the centre trailing edge to attach the lines to. Flysurfer wins in the bridle department for me. Not nearly as much of a pain.

2) My Lotus 12 didn't jump well at all but others swear it does. Still I had a Speed 3 12m and can say the Chrono jumps twice as high and 2-3 times longer down wind.

3) Upwind Flysurfer wins. If you ever flown a Peter Lynn Venom before it is more a C shape and for some reason the foils with this C shape rip upwind and the Lotus has a more C shape compared to the Chrono which sits flatter. Even though the Chrono is much higher aspect the Flysurfer went better upwind. The Chrono still rocketed up wind though just that the Lotus was crazy upwind.

4) turning speed. Hmm maybe FS might have the upper hand. Not sure haven't compared the same size. Both are good turning kites.

5) The Chrono has a fair bit better low end. Lotus a bit better top end. Hard to say if that Chrono could take 25+ knots. The airtime would be so friggen scary in that wind on a Chrono I am sure it would be something worth seeing.

Here is a short video of an Ozone Edge 15m jumping (which I think would be similar to a Lotus 15 I feel) Then the Chrono 18m. Both kiters weigh similar. 6-8 m/s (I know one is an 18m and can't compare but it gives you some idea)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1pEb-oYXWo

So if you need lower end and big air Chrono. If you need higher end and ease of use and hate any bridle tangle then Lotus.

Both are good kites. I like the Chrono 18 for the light wind stuff as it adds a lot of new fun factor. Then in the higher winds either the FS or inflatables. I just need to figure out why my Lotus 12m is dropping me like a rock so I can enjoy it!
1) I roll the Chrono up like a roll my Flysurfers up, fold the wingtip over, tuck the bridle in and then roll the bar up from wingtip to centre. No real issues when unpacking. Just be very careful of the wing formers as you don't want to bend them too much.
The 2 issues I had that took an hour in 1 case now made me want to choose rolling up tip to centre. If it doesn't give ya issues then no need.

2) I'd say the Chrono doesn't jump as high as the lotus but does keep you in the air longer.
Not on the 18m Not even close to a S3 19 or s3 21 Maybe the bigger new Lotus are different so can't compare. I think the difference we have is in the wind we are jumping in and the size kite used. In the low end sure maybe not much difference but as soon as you are decently powered WOW! Up you go. Also timing the jump right makes a huge difference same wind but 10' higher. Just when you hit that sweet spot.

3)Chrono wind upwind by a clear mile. I don't understand how you can compare such a high AR kite against the Lotus for upwind.
AR is not the main factor especially in a foil though a factor for sure. My Peter Lynn Venom ripped upwind like no other and less AR than both of these. A more C shape foil cuts up wind better than a flatter kite but combine the C shape and high AR and equals amazing upwind ability. The flatness of the Chrono seems to drag more, but the AR makes up for it mostly. I would have to do a test size for size to be 100%. Let's just agree to disagree. :D

4)Lotus is FAR faster than the chrono.
OK. Far? Ya but can say the FS was a quick turner in the 12m.

5)The top end on the Flysurfer is better, the low end on the Chrono is outstanding. I'd love a go on the 18m.
I had a 60kg guy on my 18m Chrono in 16 knots. It was his limit and holding on full depower. So think the range is bit like a comparable sized inflate. FS bigger range. Lowend on Chrono very good.

I have some vids that I should upload of some quite cool jumps on the 15m Chrono, downlooping out of the jump and covering some serious distance given the wind speed.. Will try and upload them tonight.
Please. :D I'd love to try a 15 or 12m Chrono as well!

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Fri May 02, 2014 8:44 am

Okinawa Kiter wrote:
3)Chrono wind upwind by a clear mile. I don't understand how you can compare such a high AR kite against the Lotus for upwind.
AR is not the main factor especially in a foil though a factor for sure. My Peter Lynn Venom ripped upwind like no other and less AR than both of these. A more C shape foil cuts up wind better than a flatter kite but combine the C shape and high AR and equals amazing upwind ability. The flatness of the Chrono seems to drag more, but the AR makes up for it mostly. I would have to do a test size for size to be 100%. Let's just agree to disagree. :D

Err... not so sure.

If you think a PL arc which is by far one of the lowest performance kites on the market, goes upwind well compared against a high AR foil, I'd say you're wrong.

I am flying the 15 up to 18-20 knots but haven't had the wind to take it out in much more.

I hope we are going to get some decent wind here on Monday and I can see what the top end is.

FYI, this is the UK, it is cold, dense air.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Fri May 02, 2014 8:54 am

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri May 02, 2014 11:20 am

Tone wrote:
Okinawa Kiter wrote:

Err... not so sure.

If you think a PL arc which is by far one of the lowest performance kites on the market, goes upwind well compared against a high AR foil, I'd say you're wrong.

I am flying the 15 up to 18-20 knots but haven't had the wind to take it out in much more.

I hope we are going to get some decent wind here on Monday and I can see what the top end is.

FYI, this is the UK, it is cold, dense air.

A C profiled shape cuts upwind better than a flatter profiled kite. I have never found this to be the case.

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Sat May 03, 2014 2:35 am

Tone is that the 12m? how much wind was that......

Okinawa

In regards to the connections on the ozone. Can you tell me a little more. I don't know shit about the knots or their names. So I'll need you help here. Back line connected to the bar are they "loops" or the "knots" same for the front lines "loops" or "knots"

I'm just trying to figure out if it will connect to me Edge bar I have modified 50% North and 50% Ozone.

This is my Micro loop step up:

If your really going to get into air style its a must. You can see the loop on the bar and the hook on the chicken loop. This allows you to lock the bar (auto pilot) then proceed to do some crazy tricks.

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Sat May 03, 2014 2:38 am

BTW so far I'm leaning toward the Ozone. But man it would be great to try the FS and OZ back to back in 25+

But I can help but think the FS has been out for a while with tons of refinements.

cheers
T

Return to “Kitesurfing”