forum for kitesurfers

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Re: Whats your stupid story?

Postby edt » Wed May 07, 2014 9:57 pm

"When i got to the beach sand i was totally wrapped like a sausage by the kite lines"

hahaha! supa please tell us you have pictures. And of course it's only funny because you are ok.

I don't have any stories like these sorry (knock wood).

Drew22 yours would make a good picture too, wearing a rashguard for shorts.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu May 08, 2014 1:53 am

JGTR wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:Trying to learn kite loops on a 16m Crossbow in light wind is probably the stupidest thing I've done. I've had some bad luck but those weren't my own fault...
Why? I learnt to KL on an 18m Vegas in light winds :-?
I should get you to teach me then :o I struggle to loop the 13m in light winds, it just stalls at the bottom of the loop 9/10 times.

Rufusz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Lake Balaton, Hungary
Favorite Beaches: Hurghada, Egypt
Viganj, Croatia
El Médano, Tenerife
Style: Foil, Freeride
Gear: Kitech 6m2, 9m2, 15m2 foil kites
Moses Fluente
Flysurfer radical4
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Rufusz » Thu May 08, 2014 7:54 am

TomW wrote:...
Now I jog thec1 mile and ask windsurf club dude if he'll take his rescue boat out and help me fetch the kite. Wont do it, even if I offer to pay him...
The guy must have been a real jerk.

I experienced a similar sort of attitude once a "fellow" kiter refused to land my kite because it was a soft kite and he "had no idea how to land it"... I explained to him but he still refused the landing so I had to hit the QR on a beach full of trees. Self landing was not a option as I was well overpowered.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Postby plummet » Thu May 08, 2014 8:58 am

vfr wrote:. Not sure how it ended but it was well before any drowning threat.
So far a completely mundane story. The bad part is that, as I was dragged face-first through the water something
nasty got in my nose and was forced up into a remote part of my sinuses where it camped, with very little blood able
to fight it, and pumped all kinds of bad stuff into my system. There followed four years (!) of horror. All kinds of
weird symptoms including tingling earlobes and a sore tongue. With fatigue so debilitating I would often have to just
go and lie down in the middle of a conversation. Even now, 10 years later I get the odd flashback of the symptoms.
What the hell?

Did they every remove anything? or did you ever find out what was actually camping up your nose?

av_dumitrascu
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kazeboo, Navodari, Constanta/Romania
Favorite Beaches: Gokceada, Turkey
Lefkada, Greece
Kalpitya, Sri Lanka
Style: free-ride, kitesurfing
Gear: Fireware Vanguard 5'2"
F-one Signature Bamboo 6'3"
North Juice 15m
North Neo 12m
North Neo 10m
North Click bar
North Neo 8m
North Spike 153
Rapace Eagle 10m
Rapace Eagle 6m
Rapace Condor 12m
Rapace Condor3 8m
Spleene X 19
Ion Spectre harness
Mystic soft-gear
Sigi Grabner snowboard
Apo Chasta snowkite board
F-One Matira iSUP 10'6"
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding
Rapace Kiteboarding

Postby av_dumitrascu » Thu May 08, 2014 9:41 am

1. On a local lake, some 15 with gusts to 22 knts, onshore....coming to shore, I did a last jump, landed it sweet and then decided to continue the float as close to the beach as possible, not to get mud on my feet (clay...you know how it is on lakes).
At minimum depth of water, the suction effect made the board to stick to the mud, so here I am redirecting the kite at 12 to stop my movement. All cool, I bend over to pick up my board with the left hand...while pulling the bar with the right hand (without noticing it). Kiteloop, me up in the air, at some 5 meters high, dropped the board on dry-land (at about 7 meters from the water) and tried to control the kite...at the very moment I touched the land I hit the release. I was already 12 meters from the take-off point! My butt hurt a couple of days :(
The rest of the guys on the shore were more scared than me...but I learned my lesson: never pull the bar unconsciously!

2. At snowkiting, wind dropped, so I took out my Spleene X19 (first time with it on the mountains and one of the first times ever snowkiting, also a beginer kiter). Did a first line, redirected the kite, pulled the bar and UP I GO :))
Excited from the jump, I have decided to show to my mates "how it should be done", especially since they were take pics...so I go back to them, full speed, redirect the foil, pull the bar and...A GUST CAME! There I was, some good 10 meters high, with the bar all pulled, scared and floating in the air...in the very moment I have landed, I called and more experienced rider and told him: "Man, take it to try!". Actually, I was ready to hit the release, if he would not took the kite :(
Stupid enough?

vfr
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Bodega Bay
Favorite Beaches: Too many to list
Style: mellow
Gear: Cabrinha xbow, Fluid torque, Bandit DOS
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby vfr » Thu May 08, 2014 1:15 pm

plummet wrote:
vfr wrote:. Not sure how it ended but it was well before any drowning threat.
So far a completely mundane story. The bad part is that, as I was dragged face-first through the water something
nasty got in my nose and was forced up into a remote part of my sinuses where it camped, with very little blood able
to fight it, and pumped all kinds of bad stuff into my system. There followed four years (!) of horror. All kinds of
weird symptoms including tingling earlobes and a sore tongue. With fatigue so debilitating I would often have to just
go and lie down in the middle of a conversation. Even now, 10 years later I get the odd flashback of the symptoms.
What the hell?

Did they every remove anything? or did you ever find out what was actually camping up your nose?

A long story involving many doctors. There was never any real diagnosis. My regular doctor, may
he be cursed forever, decided it was some kind of degenerative nerved disease, that I was fucked,
and he refused to see me (I heard him behind a screen telling the receptionist to get rid of me).
I was pretty depressed until I saw a local ears/nose/throat guy who said he had seen it before
and that it was in a windsurfer-good news I would recover completely-bad news it would take at least
another year. Modern medicine never did any good, nor any other kind of medicine. There were
two events when I felt something like an explosion behind my eyes followed by a little blood in
the mouth. That and the weird symptoms are all the objective facts. Looking them up on the internet
I had every disease under the sun from galloping knob rot to tooth cancer....
I ended up with a lot of sympathy for people with chronic fatigue syndrome. I met quite a few in the
course of the illness. Before I had thought they were just lazy.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu May 08, 2014 4:12 pm

As a newbie we were kiting in some very gusty straight onshore conditions on a narrow beach. Another kiter handed me his board and asked me to hold his harness while we walked out. A gust hit, he got yanked out of my hand and hit the beach.
If it is sketchy enough that you want someone holding your harness...don't have them hold the board as well. Two hands on the harness handle- one overhand, one underhand. Be prepared to put your full weight into the hold if a gust hits. Because if it happens fast you won't be able to do it with one hand!

Bain
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Bain » Thu May 08, 2014 5:00 pm

Driving 45 mins to the beach, epic 20-25 knt winds, forgot my harness at home.

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Thu May 08, 2014 5:10 pm

Bain wrote:Driving 45 mins to the beach, epic 20-25 knt winds, forgot my harness at home.
That one is painful!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu May 08, 2014 5:24 pm

Wanted to land my kite on grass instead of sand...

Line caught a palm tree leaf...kite starts to loop...luckily I can get a bit out of the way of the palm, only hit it slighty with knee and elbow...made a roll on the sand, then released.

Lesson learned: distance is your friend! Staying away from any palm tree as far as possible !!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”