Gear: UFO
Brand Affiliation: Whatever is going cheap
Has thanked: 0

Re: fat lady v3

Postby bgkiter » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:47 pm

Kiteus Polaris wrote:
aleks wrote:
Kiteus Polaris wrote:
I have to agree! I had my first ride on my new V3 two hours ago and I can definitely feel the differences vs. V2.
Up wind clearly felt better.
Turning maybe slightly better. Was really good before and I think that the improvements of the wing tip profile was partly off set by the bridle tweaking done for better up wind ability. Thus only marginally better turning.
Jumping is better! Hight as well as hang time felt improved.
Low wind limit felt same or better.
High wind limit maybe ever so slightly worse. Can't say yet for sure.
Over all I think that V3 is the perfected V3. Now it feels Fantastic!
Thanks for the info. How about the bar pressure? Did they change it in any way?

I think that the V2 has quite low bar pressure (and I've heard that it was higher for V1). V3 is probably close to the V2 since I felt at home directly. It certanly didn't feel heavy. Generally I would say that bar pressure is low for the size of kite but not too low.
re: bar pressure, it is significantly less than the v1. I can't directly compare to v2 since I only demoed the kite a few times. One other thing, even at the top of its wind range (20+mph), the bar pressure remains low. With the v1 as the wind picked up the bar pressure increased and a fair bit of the downwind pull came from the steering lines. With the v3, the kite points noticeably further upwind and the center lines take the lion share of the pull.

Yesterday was another day where the wind ramped up from 10mph to 20mph very quickly, this time I even had the kite on the normal setting knot. With a about 3" of depower pulled in I had great session for 90+mins (180lbs rider), the kite never felt unmanageable.

julitor
Rare Poster
Gear: SS rally 2013 14m
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby julitor » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:54 pm

bgkiter wrote:
Kiteus Polaris wrote:
aleks wrote:
I have to agree! I had my first ride on my new V3 two hours ago and I can definitely feel the differences vs. V2.
Up wind clearly felt better.
Turning maybe slightly better. Was really good before and I think that the improvements of the wing tip profile was partly off set by the bridle tweaking done for better up wind ability. Thus only marginally better turning.
Jumping is better! Hight as well as hang time felt improved.
Low wind limit felt same or better.
High wind limit maybe ever so slightly worse. Can't say yet for sure.
Over all I think that V3 is the perfected V3. Now it feels Fantastic!
Thanks for the info. How about the bar pressure? Did they change it in any way?

I think that the V2 has quite low bar pressure (and I've heard that it was higher for V1). V3 is probably close to the V2 since I felt at home directly. It certanly didn't feel heavy. Generally I would say that bar pressure is low for the size of kite but not too low.

Anyone heavy had a chance to test it in the low end range? 8-11 knots

BiteMe
Frequent Poster

Postby BiteMe » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:29 pm

julitor wrote:
Define heavy? I'm 185 ride a 143x48 and for me in rough conditions (swell, chop, etc). I would say the bottom end to be able to ride up wind is around 10 knots.

TonyL
Medium Poster

Postby TonyL » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:52 pm

How is the hang time and height at 12 to 20 knots? I am 195lbs

julitor
Rare Poster

Postby julitor » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:49 am

BiteMe wrote:
julitor wrote:
Define heavy? I'm 185 ride a 143x48 and for me in rough conditions (swell, chop, etc). I would say the bottom end to be able to ride up wind is around 10 knots.
200lbs+ thanks for describing the conditions you tried it in.
I'm thinking in buying one but wondering about the low end and the 8knots blade claims for 75kg and normal board and how will that extend to higher weight (I'm 95kg (210lbs)) on a wider twintip (150x50)

Kiteus Polaris
Medium Poster
Local Beach: South Sweden
Gear: Blade
Shinn

Postby Kiteus Polaris » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:42 pm

julitor wrote:
BiteMe wrote:
julitor wrote:
I'm thinking in buying one but wondering about the low end and the 8knots blade claims for 75kg and normal board and how will that extend to higher weight (I'm 95kg (210lbs)) on a wider twintip (150x50)
Theoretically the two of you would be very close in low end if you have the same type of board (eventhough different sizes) as you produce appr the same pressure/area ratio from your body weight.

bgkiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Golden Gardens
Favorite Beaches: Viento
Style: wake

Postby bgkiter » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:55 pm

julitor wrote:
BiteMe wrote:
julitor wrote:
I just updated the original FL v3 review thread on pskite: http://pskite.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10703

I rode it in 10-12mph conditions with a regular TT for about 3hrs yesterday on the shorter steering line setting and without extensions. With the extensions and a lightwind board 10mph would be easily achievable by the 75kg rider.

V

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:59 pm

julitor
Rare Poster

Postby julitor » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:39 pm

bgkiter wrote:
I just updated the original FL v3 review thread on pskite: http://pskite.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10703

I rode it in 10-12mph conditions with a regular TT for about 3hrs yesterday on the shorter steering line setting and without extensions. With the extensions and a lightwind board 10mph would be easily achievable by the 75kg rider.

V

Thanks for taking the time to post it! It matches well the kind of conditions I would ride it.
What's your feeling with the extensions? do they slow the kite noticeably?

Thanks in any case!

bgkiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Golden Gardens
Favorite Beaches: Viento
Style: wake

Postby bgkiter » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:58 pm

julitor wrote:
bgkiter wrote:

V

Thanks for taking the time to post it! It matches well the kind of conditions I would ride it.
What's your feeling with the extensions? do they slow the kite noticeably?

Thanks in any case!
I have not tried the v3 with extensions, used to fly the v1 with them but not all the time. They don't make the kite turn slower, it is just that the kite needs to travel more distance (say from 2 to 11 o'clock for jumping) due to the longer arch radius which alters the timing for jumping as well as the time to complete a loop. So for throwing tricks it will be different and it will feel slower trying to get it from point A to point B in the sky. For just cruising around it won't matter.

However it will give you 0.5-1 mph better low end due to the higher leverage as well as the ability of the kite to generate power for longer as it flies on the up and the down strokes.

I am heading out this afternoon and will see if I get a chance to try it with the line extensions. Wind around here (Seattle) goes lighter in August so I am sure I will have more opportunities to try this out.

Cheers

V

Return to “Kitesurfing”