Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Unhooking in waves

Forum for kitesurfers
markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Unhooking in waves

Postby markchatwin » Wed May 21, 2014 4:02 pm

There seems to be some group consensus here and some divergence.

1. Unhooking done best with side shore or slightly offshore wind
2. Using a smaller kite or being on the bottom end of the kite you are using helps.
3. Riding towards or with the kite is what keeps you protected from large blasts on your arms. Also gives you that "freedom" of real DTL surfing

BUT

1. Certain "wave" kites are not good for unhooking and certain ones are
2. Trimming the kite - does this need to be done? Or best to have the right kite fully powered up?
3. Felix says a fast pivotal turning kite is not good when you redirect and Dimitri says a pivotal turning kite is best for wave riding
4. Self promotion is bad for a thread or could be considered good if some useable knowledge is offered as well...

Doesn't the divergence come from one's style preferred?

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Wed May 21, 2014 4:25 pm

unhooked wave riding is a pretty specific style without a ton of sub genres.

C kites have a larger turn radius and the pull is offset by the fact your riding at it. Watch some footage of Felix. Smooth turning kite that keeps the forward flight is better than one that stops when it corners. To do it well your one handed a lot of the time so a small kite is also pretty key.

http://vimeo.com/11368764

felixp
Frequent Poster
Gear: Switch
Brand Affiliation: Switch, Firewire
Been thanked: 0

Postby felixp » Wed May 21, 2014 8:58 pm

Hi Mark.
Yes- Unhooked has its days. Some days are more suited to it than others.
Along with kite characteristics there are many factors that come into play.
Wind direction .
Water texture
Wind strength.
Some days the unhooked style is very difficult and will not be the best choice.

Trimming the kite is also something many guys over look. There is a fine line.
Depower the kite too much you will not have enough power to get you down the wave and your kite will not go forward enough - having it over sheeted it will cause it to drift back too much and sometimes fall back wards.

When riding unhooked correctly down the wave you are always riding towards your kite making little adjustments allowing you to keep the right tension on your lines, . Keeping your kite in the same spot is a common mistake many make and this really limits the amount of turns you make and how you can maximize your canvas. Some wind conditions allow you to do 2-3 turns before re adjusting slightly.

If its done right your arm acts as a extended chicken loop .

There are many styles of riding waves and pivotal kites have there place.
Just look at Ian and Patrick they rip it to bits,
They ride hooked 99% of the time and really capitalize on their pivotal kites as they use the sheeting capabilities for power on or off from the long throw they ride with,.They use the fast pivot characteristic of the kite when needed to put them in the right spot.

I have chosen to ride unhooked as it is challenging and gives me freedom when going down the wave.It keeps things interesting and is rewarding when you get a good wave.

It takes time and a lot of practice. Different strokes for different folks . More time has to be invested in getting it to look half decent along with the right gear and conditions. This is why many guys stick to the hooked in style.

Starsky has hit the nail right on the head he is spot on with turning characteristics of a kite for unhooked riding. He has either invested some time him self or paid close attention to detail or both. :thumb:

Thanks for your time.
Felix

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Fri May 23, 2014 9:57 pm

Saw this on Dimitri's Facebook page and thought it was funny :D

https://vimeo.com/96236203

Grandma can really tear it up!

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sat May 24, 2014 4:04 am

Flyfish
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Nor Cal
Style: Wave
Gear: Flysurfer

Postby Flyfish » Sat May 24, 2014 4:33 am

That made my day! That was the best FU I've ever seen on this forum!

Bravo Dimitri.

CRD
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kill Devil Hills,NC
Favorite Beaches: Down the street from my house, frisco when conditions require
Style: Waves
Gear: Best Cabo very recently. BWS, Epic
Been thanked: 0

Postby CRD » Tue May 27, 2014 2:11 am

I recently got an 8 m. surf kite. just in case someone wanted another unhooked opinion. I don't unhook often, I just do it occasionally, but I tried on the epic surf kite. It didn't require adjustment, I just unhooked, and the performance seemed fine. I also have bws which I adjust some for unhooking. So matching the speed of the kite I am certainly in agreement with. I don't usually unhook but because of this conversation I wanted to try it with my surf kite and it happens to work just like Dimitri stated.

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Wed May 28, 2014 12:56 am

Finally unhooked for the 1st time with the EPIC SURF 12m this past weekend. Dimitri sent me this kite along with the Renegade 13m to demo. I don't know why I chose his kite to do it with but I felt it was the right moment since I was so comfortable on it. It doesn't pull like a truck it pulls in a very transparent, even manner.

I first got way upwind and veered off downwind and got a feel for riding towards the kite fully sheeted in. Then I sheeted out to get a feel for what power I would want while unhooking. I then made the trim adjustment on the depower strap. I realized that a lot of space was needed so I made sure I was far upwind from downwind kiters and beachgoers.

Then BOOM I unhooked and rode towards the kite. It was so cool, so easy. However I did notice the changes in the wind strength and felt moments when the pull on my arms was strong. Also when I wasn't on a lake roller getting forward energy I felt increased pull from the kite. But since I kept riding towards the kite it never got out of hand. I can see how trimming is very important. You've got to get a level of power that gets the job done but not over do it. At least for this unhooking beginner.

Then BOOM I hooked back in. And now I'm hooked on unhooking :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”