Forum for kitesurfers
drewkite
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How can i fix this leaky valve???!!

Postby drewkite » Thu May 15, 2014 9:26 pm

Hard to see in the image. But basically my valves are leaky but only in the middle (were the red)

It is also not unglued in the edges like usually happens.
I have seald the seam of a strut with a machine that seals food bags and stuff.
Would it work in this case too? What about if i do it and the plastic sticks to the other side???

An iron??
If so, any video out there??
P.S i need the kite for tomorrow

Thanks in advance and good winds!!!

drewkite
Medium Poster

Re: How can i fix this leaky valve???!!

Postby drewkite » Thu May 15, 2014 9:36 pm

Pic
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Thu May 15, 2014 10:42 pm

I am not sure totally where the leak is but I had similar problem and had to take all off them off with a little steam and glue them back on with Aquaseal.

drewkite
Medium Poster

Postby drewkite » Fri May 16, 2014 3:13 am

What about some heat sealer??
Any experiences?

Cheers

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri May 16, 2014 3:45 am

drewkite it is the seal that is leaking. You don't actually see the bubbles exactly where the seam fails because they migrate and bubble up near the red because the valve has a top and bottom so the air runs around inside the middle until it goes out.

You must remove the valve to fix this. You can not heat seal a valve it must be either replaced with an entire new valve, or you can use one of the correct type of glues to restick it or you can use one of those seals that let you restick a valve.

Once you get the valve off you will be better able to see where the glue has failed. I know you are used to it leaking in the edges where you can see it but it will sometimes bubble out where you marked but it is the exact same sort of failure and you do the exact same sort of fix as if the edges were leaking.

Sometimes if the valve is on really tight you might have to cut it out instead of using hot water to steam off the valve. You can then restick using an oversized valve or valve patch.

drewkite
Medium Poster

Postby drewkite » Fri May 16, 2014 4:02 am

edt wrote:drewkite it is the seal that is leaking. You don't actually see the bubbles exactly where the seam fails because they migrate and bubble up near the red because the valve has a top and bottom so the air runs around inside the middle until it goes out.

You must remove the valve to fix this. You can not heat seal a valve it must be either replaced with an entire new valve, or you can use one of the correct type of glues to restick it or you can use one of those seals that let you restick a valve.

Once you get the valve off you will be better able to see where the glue has failed. I know you are used to it leaking in the edges where you can see it but it will sometimes bubble out where you marked but it is the exact same sort of failure and you do the exact same sort of fix as if the edges were leaking.

Sometimes if the valve is on really tight you might have to cut it out instead of using hot water to steam off the valve. You can then restick using an oversized valve or valve patch.
Cool.
I will try that.
What about the clothish type of material around the valve?
How do i get rid of that to reattach the valve with valve trap or whatever?

Cheers

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Fri May 16, 2014 4:16 am

drewkite wrote: I will try that.
What about the clothish type of material around the valve?
How do i get rid of that to reattach the valve with valve trap or whatever?

Cheers
it depends exactly on how everything is put together. This looks to me like there are 6 layers. The bottom layer is your actual bladder, next is a glue section, next the actual valve, then there is a second glue layer, next is a top bladder layer for extra protection which is not actually air tight, then on top of that the cloth.

I cut away and discard the cloth, top layer of the bladder, heat the valve with hot water pull it off, trim back and discard everything else so all that is left is the inner bladder and the valve which you peeled off.

then I do a regular restick or valve replacement or valve patch depending on what I have.

Check carefully to see exactly how many layers you have so you don't accidentally cut through your actual bladder. But I would just cut the top cloth part and discard it.

And of course do this at your own risk! I can't look at it in person so I might be giving you slightly incorrect advice.

kiteaid
Medium Poster
Gear: Epic Kites
Brand Affiliation: www.kiteaid.com

Postby kiteaid » Fri May 16, 2014 1:55 pm

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Fri May 16, 2014 3:42 pm

Aquaseal. Pull it off if you can, affix with Aquaseal, if you cant pull it off push Aquaseal into any channel with a tooth pick and seal totally around with Aquaseal. I always keep Aquaseal in the freezer, stays good forever, need it every time I replace a valve.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Fri May 16, 2014 6:58 pm

i think drewkite knows how to fix a valve he's just confused by the 7 layer cake his current bladder is compared to his other kites.

Return to “Kitesurfing”