Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cabrinha 2015

Forum for kitesurfers
Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Re: Cabrinha 2015

Postby Dave_5280 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:01 am

Pete was into riding foils a long time ago and he sold them out of his Maui store, and they sell them out of their Florida store, but have never branded them under Cabrinha in the past.

fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby fogmeister » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:37 pm

fogmeister
Frequent Poster

Postby fogmeister » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:03 am

Cabrinha 2015 Quick Loop Control System: http://youtu.be/Torwtfub0bU

fogmeister
Frequent Poster

Postby fogmeister » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:09 am

2015 switchblade https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bqa92Ct2F8

lotsa stuff showin up on youtube

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:07 pm

More stills, videos and information about the 2015 Cabrinha kiteboarding lineup of gear at:

Fresh from the Bahamas, 2015 Cabrinha Kiting Gear - Part I
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2385784

pākihiroa
Medium Poster

Postby pākihiroa » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:03 am

From one of the videos: "This spinning head doubles as a stopper to prevent the quick release from being constricted by the bar in emergency situations".

It seems that the new swivel/stopper mechanism will reduce the overall amount of bar travel by several inches and therefore, all else being equal, the maximum amount of sheet in available. Those of us with shorter arms know already that the Cab bars require a lot of travel for full de-power so will not want to trim the kite in any more than necessary to compensate for this reduced travel.

A couple of questions:

(1) Is this just a theoretical concern ? I am wondering if any reduced bar travel is noticeable on the water ? I don't know if I actually bottom out the bar to the QR mechanism on my old switchblades when doing a 'full sheet in'. I do know that I did not pull the QR even once last season. There seems to be plenty of de-power available just by letting go of the bar.

(2) Under what circumstances would the bar be all the way into the QR to prevent it from operating ? If this extra safety margin was needed even just once, then it would seem like a worthwhile idea.

Overall the new bar and QR system seems like a nice advance and I don't want to knock Cabrinha on the new design. Just curious about this particular change, that's all. Everything is a compromise.

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby experienced1 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:02 am

Pakihoa...
what this means: with the bar pulled all the way in, you will still be able to operate the QR. This feature is not available on other brands with what looks like similar QRs

the distance from the bar (with the standard depower loop) is 23cm to the end of tthe depwoer loop. same has it has been for several years.

The reccoil spring has been extended 5 cm...this means that the "pulls" at the ends of the bugees for depwer/power (red and black) are 2" closer to the bar/rider...a good thing with those with shorter arms

i will also be possible to get an even smaller depower loop (easy to install) which brings the bar and the depower pulls aproximately another inch closer to the rider

hope this helps...steve

pākihiroa
Medium Poster

Postby pākihiroa » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:26 am

experienced1 wrote: the distance from the bar (with the standard depower loop) is 23cm to the end of tthe depwoer loop. same has it has been for several years.
Thanks Steve, that helps a lot. The different outline of the 2015 design kinda fooled me into thinking the distance was greater. Apologies for the false alarm.

I had a chance to lay the 2014 and 2015 designs on top of each other today and can confirm that the closest distance of the bar to the bottom of the loop is the same for both models. The 2015 system really is slick with no compromises at all that I can see. Cabrinha seems to have finally nailed it with this design.

My order is in. I look forward to trying out the shorter leash and also the smaller loop when it becomes available. I may even activate the QR just to experience the sheer joy of putting it back together :P

dagent
Rare Poster
Gear: Naish Global 6'1'' 2012
North Evo 12 2012
North X-Ride 136 2012
Been thanked: 0

Postby dagent » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi guys,

did anyone tested the new Switchblade and new surf boards. I owned previously the 2012-14 North Rebel, Evo also 2013 Naish Park, Naish Global surf 6.10.

Now i am looking for new gear and like what i see Cabrinha did for 2015.

So i would like to know how is the Switchblade 12 compared to North Evo 12 or Rebel 12m? Relaunch, upwind, low end, hi end....

Also how are the new Cabrinha surf boards for freeride, small wave...?

Thanks,
David

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida

Postby RickI » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:45 am

There are stills and videos of the 2015 kites along with some island color at:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2385964

Be sure to checkout the first installment at: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2385784

Boards will be covered in the next installment.

Return to “Kitesurfing”