Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Dice 2014 10m issue

Forum for kitesurfers
marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Re: North Dice 2014 10m issue

Postby marlboroughman » Sun May 25, 2014 2:11 pm

This is what's amazes me. There is absolutely no progress in how the kites are are supported since Wipika called it quits. Their last kite was supported by a fifth with a simple Y at the end of it. Here we are in 2014 and North which took Wipika invention and patented it sells the kite that begs to be flown on five lines and fits it with monster pulley bridle that fails. Looks like it's going to work out for me because I am looking for this kind of kite for dirt cheap, but still WTF.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Mon May 26, 2014 1:07 am

marlboroughman wrote:This is what's amazes me. There is absolutely no progress in how the kites are are supported since Wipika called it quits. Their last kite was supported by a fifth with a simple Y at the end of it. Here we are in 2014 and North which took Wipika invention and patented it sells the kite that begs to be flown on five lines and fits it with monster pulley bridle that fails. Looks like it's going to work out for me because I am looking for this kind of kite for dirt cheap, but still WTF.

Well we have since discovered a kite that flies similar to the dice you might want to look into. It's the gastra toxic. Canopy a closer than obvious rip off. Static bridle, more bar pressure, a little flatter so has more low end boost potential, doesn't drift as well, but still very good. It's the closest we have found. High Y. More on the freestyle end of the spectrum than the wave end, but the same smooth feel. Faster Turning obviously.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Mon May 26, 2014 2:33 am

Neh, I would have to spend a fortune not knowing what I am getting myself into. I am between getting a Dice on the cheap and fixing it or there is a place with mother load of 2013 HiFi's that they will have to dump to get rid of them. Thank God people hate 5 lines so I save big time. If I tried to make the Dice work with the bridle I would do the following. Park it low and hold the bar 2" out like for normal cruising. Ask the helper to mark where the pulley is. Tie the knots on both sides of the pulley to restrict it's travel. Give it a little room to move at first and later experiment with restricting more. If it works with locking it in one place that's even better. I don't know what the pulley looks like on that kite so make sure that the knots on the line will stop the pulley without jamming in it. Since that bridle is stretched most likely you wan't have to compensate for lost length with extra pigtails. Myself if I get it I will fly it on five lines and squeeze every ounce of performance that's in it.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Mon May 26, 2014 4:13 am

Righto interesting. So you would still keep the bridalling as well?

Pulleys are the moulded plastic slider type ones, not your ronstan type, no bearings or moving parts.

Not sure you'd get the depower you'd need in your throw with your idea given the same bridalling.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Mon May 26, 2014 4:26 am

Either bridle or five lines never both. If the bridle is long you can leave 10 cm travel on the upper front leg and 3 cm on the bottom rear leg. If the bridle is relatively short the kite will pivot on a fixed bridle no problem like other short bridle kites.

Massimo
Frequent Poster
Style: FreeRiding >> WaveRiding
Gear: Slingshot RPM 14
Slingshot RPM 10
North DICE 10

Gaastra SurfPro 5'4"
Naish Sol 134
Fly-Radical 139
LF Influence 137
Brand Affiliation: Not yet

Postby Massimo » Mon May 26, 2014 8:03 am

If the kite was flying fine 1 month ago without knots it means that you do not need them. If you want to change something I suggest to play with the length. Are you sure that the bridle is stretch? If now the kite has the tendency to close the bridle can be also shorter. Extend or reduce it will be easy by playing with the pigtails which are placed where the bridle is attached to the front side of the kite.
The knot approach has a lot of disadvantages like the safety.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Mon May 26, 2014 8:18 am

Also what was the wind like. Some days just produce horrible wind regardless of what kite you are on....?

FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground
Been thanked: 0

Postby FabsPH » Mon May 26, 2014 9:22 am

finally.
Thought I was only one.
I gotsame issues with my 10 Dice..
Was wondering if I went crazy, but it's just the kite.
Well, there goes $1000

Mike27
Frequent Poster
Gear: naish
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mike27 » Mon May 26, 2014 10:28 am

Interesting to see that after months of "pro Dice propaganda" the real user's seems to not appreciate the kite as it should be : "the perfect all around machine" ! :)

I 've never tried it but i have observed that good kiters using North Stuff keep on Vegas, Rebel and Neo depending of their style !

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Mon May 26, 2014 11:19 am

Mike27 wrote:Interesting to see that after months of "pro Dice propaganda" the real user's seems to not appreciate the kite as it should be : "the perfect all around machine" ! :)

I 've never tried it but i have observed that good kiters using North Stuff keep on Vegas, Rebel and Neo depending of their style !

Well there's a stretch if I've ever seen one, from someone who has never used one and is the authority on the 'good' riders. Leave it out mate.

Return to “Kitesurfing”