Frequent Poster
Style: Old School
Gear: 2019 Rebel / RPM
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Surf kite question

Postby LanBro » Tue May 27, 2014 12:16 pm

It seems like many surf dedicated kites are great unhooked kites and very stable, easy and user friendly with little back stalling. Wouldn't these kites be ideal for wakesytle and early freestsyle progression riders?

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Re: Surf kite question

Postby dyyylan » Tue May 27, 2014 4:28 pm

It depends, sitting deep in the window and being stable doesn't necessarily translate to great pop and slack. The pivotal turning can also mess you up since the kite wants to fly around constantly instead of just parking in one spot

The one kite that I've flown that works amazing for both is the LF Envy, it's pretty much a typical light 3-strut wave kite but it gives amazing pop, and still gives a lot of slack. So some wave kites work well for both. What makes it good is that the kite can still drive forward - lots of kites that sit deep in the window just want to keep pulling when you unhook which is what you dont want

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Re: Surf kite question

Postby Dimitri M » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:21 am

It seems like many surf dedicated kites are great unhooked kites and very stable, easy and user friendly with little back stalling. Wouldn't these kites be ideal for wakesytle and early freestsyle progression riders?
Yes you are correct Mr.LanBro, a wave kite will be great for wakestyle because it's stable, stays further back in the windows but again for wakestyle you want a kite that is not too fast, so it can stay at the same position while doing your unhook moves.
This is the reason why few companies have different models in their line up. So we can satisfy your riding style.
Let me know if you need more help.

Return to “Kitesurfing”