Serious pinholes issues on the 2014 Ozone REOs

Forum for kitesurfers
Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Serious pinholes issues on the 2014 Ozone REOs

Postby Robsw6 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:23 am

fdvj wrote:
plummet wrote:
KiteRunner wrote:
I just don't understand why people get upset that I am sharing my views..
The answer to this is that there are many individuals with a financial interest in ozone (and or other brands) on these forums. Shop owners, sponsered riders, distributors.

Some of them seek to discredit threads like these to protect the brand and their back pocket.

The reality is that this type of thread could loose ozone thousands of dollars of sales if a number of forum readers decide not to buy ozone based on the information in here.
That would be crazy as any one can come on here and bad mouth products just to trash their sales, I understand that kites get problems but the OP hasn't even posted any pictures and until he does then it just looks like someone having a fit because the are getting their own way.
+1 somewhat of a generalisation from Plummet !

Having decided to buy (with hard earned ££) a quiver of Edges after a lot of research and talking to ozone owners, plus the head tester of Kiteworld, I had previously heard nothing but positive feedback.

After reading this thread, plus the "exploding Edge" thread. I was concerned that something had changed in the Ozone production techniques. From a detailed discussion with a good kite repairer (non-affiliated with Ozone), who has seen the 2014 Edges, he allayed any concerns - but with the caveat that you have to look after your kites (as I do.... I still use my '07 Ravens and they are perfect).

Seems slightly coincidental that the Reo & Edge threads start when the new product lands :wink:

KiteRunner
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Crandon Park/Miami Beach
Has thanked: 0

Postby KiteRunner » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:42 pm

fdvj wrote:
plummet wrote:
KiteRunner wrote:
The answer to this is that there are many individuals with a financial interest in ozone (and or other brands) on these forums. Shop owners, sponsered riders, distributors.

Some of them seek to discredit threads like these to protect the brand and their back pocket.

The reality is that this type of thread could loose ozone thousands of dollars of sales if a number of forum readers decide not to buy ozone based on the information in here.
That would be crazy as any one can come on here and bad mouth products just to trash their sales, I understand that kites get problems but the OP hasn't even posted any pictures and until he does then it just looks like someone having a fit because the are getting their own way.
If you guys are trying to Insinuate that my story is a lie and that I am badmouthing Ozone for no reason you are both idiots. You obviously don't think to much before you type in this form. If you did, you would look are my previous posts before accusing me of that. I always speak truthfully about my experience with gear in this site. This is the only place we turn to to get feedback from real kiters. If you bothered to look, you would have seen that when I first got this kite, I actually wrote a really good review. In fact, I even thought the canopy was very rugged. This was just before I started to notice more and more pinholes after ever session. Here is the link you idiot. Scroll to the bottom. My post is the last one on the bottom of the page.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2381235&start=60

JS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JS » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:23 pm

KiteRunner wrote:Here is the link you idiot.
Use of "idiot" doesn't strengthen your argument for objectivity.

Most people like the products they buy; many rave about them. But it's not beyond some to then get their knickers in a twist when someone else is unwilling to accept responsibility for damage sustained by their shiny new toy.

That's a generalization, not directed specifically at you, because I don't know you, of course.

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:57 pm

plummet wrote:
KiteRunner wrote:

I do have to agree with you on this one.

Its good to get some real "guys on the beach" reports on kite fourm.

You can read these reviews and know a few things

1. Ozone is using 2x rip stop now in 2014 (prior no)
2. They in 2013 and past do not use 2x zig-zag to distribute the thread load. One thread lets go and its all over. I'm not sure if this is still the case in 2014. Kites are in a harsh environment I'm not sure why they would leave such an exposure in their kites. Cheap and easy to fix, most kite makers are already doing this simple fix.
3. Watch out for the rear line connections (already documented in kiteforum )
4. Seams in 2013 are folded in (Edge, don't know about others) causing the seam threads to protrude outward and cut the canopy
5. Don't know the cause of the pin holes...
6. Support is harsh at best

From there weigh all the factors and buy what ever you want its your cash.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:21 pm

i understand the OP's choice of words.

it is just getting too annoying when someone with the experience shares the real life problem and in response he reads "no-no, i didn't problems with that at all".
but something is really wrong never the less.

i don't ride ozones. i find them not suitable for a heavier guys and pretty much overpriced at my place (at least). but i have seen lot of them and i don't like what i see. one two years old edge has pinholes near the central strut on both sides of the strut like somebody was arc welding and the molten metal sprays onto canopy. also i don't like the threads with which the seams are done. it starts to fray on the places where it is not possible to wear the seam with the self launch or just dragging on sand.

and the double ripstop is not some miracle remedy for it for sure. it is still the same thin cloth

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:12 pm

Just had my first session on an Edge - it looks well made and appears to compare very well to Naish & North.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:21 pm

plummet wrote:
KiteRunner wrote:

I won't ever buy an Ozone product because of how unhelpful and rude one of their dealers is. Oh and the threads with the shit falling apart and people being told "user error mate, tough luck"...

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:34 pm

The only thing we consumers can do is to support "Switch Way", and hope the some in the industry will follow. Ozone has it's own factory and it could follow Switch. They were mumbling something about not being able to ship from where they are but it shows they were considering it. Half of the price of the kites is middle man that does nothing no customer support no warranty absolutely nothing. 2014 Switch kites are up to the snif with the rest of them and in a lot of cases better. If you test the new Edge against Nitro3 and you find that Edges slightly lesser bar pressure is worth paying 3 times as much I say put up with lack of support too and stop whining. But get this, there are those who say they like a bit more bar pressure in the Edge and still buy it. If you were looking for a definition of a snob you just found it.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:00 pm

Westozzy wrote:Ozone are using the same D2 as north now, enough said.
Does anyone know, is all D2 the same or are there different thicknesses?

I've got several pinholes on my 2012 Edge 13m only where the valve hits the canopy. Not that I blame it, the kite was used a lot before I got it, and I've used it many times. So what are you supposed to do to stop this? Screw the valve in and close the flap after you get all the air out?

ktflyer381
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks
Style: Freeride, freestyle, strapless
Gear: Shinn, North

Postby ktflyer381 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:19 pm

Honest question, do pinholes need to be repaired? When you look at the canopy of the kite with the sun behind it you can see that pretty much anywhere that there is a stitch there is a pinhole. With the kind of material that is used in kite canopies, is it really necessary to repair them? I would imagine that if you have multiple pinholes in the same area there would be a weakening of the canopy, but I doubt an isolated pinhole is a big deal. I think that by the time most of us find a pinhole the kite has been flying with that pinhole for several sessions and it hasn't gotten any bigger. Curious to see what others think.

Frustrating problem for the OP, it would piss me off too. Good luck.

K

Return to “Kitesurfing”