Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: What are the wekknesses of each kite brand

Postby Westozzy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:57 pm

I tend to agree mostly. With what peter frank said. For example the north depower lines in 2011/2012 would wear really quickly and to add to this frustration changing them over was incredibly frustrating (but doable once you found the "knack"). Hence when I bought a 2014 bar I I also bought a replacement depower line and waited with baited breathe.

9 months later and countless sessions on the same bar, the depower line is still sitting in my shed and no valves have come off..lol.

I did notice my zephyr after less than a years riding seemed fairly used and 'thin'. They are now using the D2 material as per north. The pull towards release (in my opinion worked just fine) got a lot of complaints, the megatron system developed is an excellent system.

I can give plenty of examples from the brands I've owned over the years .

To have a problem, fix it and survive is indeed something to consider.

As far as switch goes all I can say is, I'm watching this space. So far so good. I will say it again, it will interesting to see how this model holds when the number of kites circulating around the globe hits a certain threshold. As far as spare parts go this is indeed a model all companies should look at now given our online domain. Take pressure off retailers too having to carry stock that sometimes will never sell and just sit their just in case. Let let the consumer click and go with spare parts.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:08 am

The only reason I haven't bought Switch is because I need a kite that is hard to come by. Switch makes kites like Ozone they fly way the hell upwind. I like it for the Edge and Nitro but not so much for the rest. But I recommend Switch to others simple because it is the best place to buy kites. Where else are you going to find spare bladders and bridle sets and those are necessities it's not like you bought a sail and that was it. Those after market bladders are a major pain in the ass. If other companies don't want to supply spare parts they should add a spare set with a new kite.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:25 am

Well you can still get parts through your retailer ...although older bladders say for north, I had to go through powerkiteshop whom actually get north to make up the actual bladder through a factory somewhere in Europe (Austria maybe can't remember). Takes time.

Agreed spare parts wise switch have it sorted and other companies should take note.

My question is warranty and other small things that can happen the gear...again will a large volume worldwide create logistical issues. We will see.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:11 am

BWS BenWilsonSurf: crap plastic on the exhaust valves, the tab rips off, leaving just the center part. Not just me either, have bought several used ones, all had the same problem. A small, silly thing....except when you want to deflate your kite in a hurry. Otherwise....great kites, very happy with them.

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m
Been thanked: 0

Postby William Munney » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:14 am

Westozzy wrote:Well you can still get parts through your retailer ...although older bladders say for north, I had to go through powerkiteshop whom actually get north to make up the actual bladder through a factory somewhere in Europe (Austria maybe can't remember). Takes time.

snip.
Bladderman.com made a bladder for my 2008 16 meter Rebel for me recently, he has all the CAD files.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:52 am

All of them? I did contact a guy heavily recommended in the US, but he didn't have the 2011 dyno 16m cad files, but said he would be getting them...

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:49 am

Dakine spreader bars break at the welds.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:08 pm

plummet wrote:Ok. So we know some kite brands are good at some things and worse at others.
Flysurfer: the bloody metal zippers of their bags, as if FS didn't know metal doesn't corrode in salty environment.
Those who ride by the sea have been complaining for at least a decade. :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:
Plastic zipper or velcro please!

Return to “Kitesurfing”