Brand Affiliation: None.

Next Gen Mako - Timeless Design

Postby Toby » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:56 pm

Ocean Rodeo News:

Next Gen Mako - Timeless Design

1 mako.jpg
1 mako.jpg (152.83 KiB) Viewed 4454 times
1 mako 2.png
For 13 Years; Witness to wrist leashes, 2 line kites, static loops, the chicken loop, 5th lines, bow kites, and now SLE's. Through it all, there has only ever been one timeless choice for the hardest carving, smoothest ride on the water: The Mako.

Visit the Mako homepage to see more images and learn more about this timeless design. Call your local dealer to book your test drive today to find out for yourself why Kiteworld Magazine calls the Mako "a hugely rewarding ride"! Next Gen Makos ship early July.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Re: Next Gen Mako - Timeless Design

Postby NYKiter » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:27 am

SWEET
:thumb:

Lets hope they ship w handles this year...

Beachboy
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Beachboy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:39 pm

Hey OR... I'm a big fan of the Mako. What's changes have you made to the board?

I'm also voting for a handle... and the Bliss foot straps with the King.

Young
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Spanish Banks
Favorite Beaches: Spanish Banks
Squamish
Crescent beach
Boundary Bay
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ocean rodeo crave10m flite 12naish pivot 7
Cabrinha tronic
Jimmy lewis model 3
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Young » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:43 pm

This past weekend at an OR demo at our local spot I saw a 5'6" custom mako with surfboard construction, 5 fin options and slightly wider hips on tail and bamboo bottom and same mako concave. The OR rep said it was not in production. Looked interesting.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:43 pm

Beachboy wrote:Hey OR... I'm a big fan of the Mako. What's changes have you made to the board?
The Mako is now in it's 13th season, incredible to think that it's been around since static loops and 2 line kites but anyway - the upshot is that we've refined the design and construction to a very high degree and so changes year to year are more subtle.

For this next generation of Mako the only changes we have made are based on our observations of how the board is used. We've switched to make the 135cm & 140cm boards twin tip only and continue to offer the mutant and twin tip set-up options for the larger 150 and 165cm boards.
Beachboy wrote:I'm also voting for a handle... and the Bliss foot straps with the King.
Actually, related to my comments above we've now begun shipping the King (165cm) with a textured deck and the new Bliss Pads & Straps (no EVA deck like in the past). We've also included a handle :)
Young wrote:This past weekend at an OR demo at our local spot I saw a 5'6" custom mako with surfboard construction, 5 fin options and slightly wider hips on tail and bamboo bottom and same mako concave. The OR rep said it was not in production. Looked interesting.
I can neither confirm nor deny this rumour.

John Z ~ OR

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:25 pm

if it so good and "timeless" how come no other major brand makes anything similar?

another one veturi flop?

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:02 am

eree wrote:if it so good and "timeless" how come no other major brand makes anything similar?

another one veturi flop?
Yep, almost didn't respond to this one. I hate trolls like this guy but felt I should say something.

The Mako is about as far from a flop as you can imagine. It's the longest running production board in kiteboarding... we've been making it for 13 years.

Don't trust me? Why would you.. How about Kiteworld Magazine who recently called it "a hugely rewarding ride that turns mush into lush".

As for the "One Venturi flop", if you want to raise your Trolling street cred you're gonna have to check your facts, bro. The One was a hugely successful kite for us when we released it in late 2005. Venturi Technology was never used on the One. In fact, it was released in 2008 on the Rise and continues to be used on our Razor and Storm kites today. (Two kites that operate at a very high angle of attack or over a very large wind range).

Venturi Tech was never copied by other brands because we hold patents covering the innovation, though we are open to reasonable licensing agreements with any company interested. Our company prides itself on innovation and helping drive this sport forward and welcome the opportunity to work with other brands who value that thought process as well.

~ John Z OR

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:52 am

eree wrote:if it so good and "timeless" how come no other major brand makes anything similar?
I was thinking the same thing, but with the opposite meaning that I think you are implying. Why hasn't anyone else come out with a mako type board? Is there some trick to manufacturing a board with all that concave and rocker that no one else has bothered to work at?

I've been riding my 140 since the 140 came out in I think 2009? I've owned several other boards that others said I would like more, but I've sold all of the others because the mako is still my favorite. It's also indestructable, so I'm still on my original 140 after probably 400 sessions.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:11 am

davesails7 wrote:
I was thinking the same thing, but with the opposite meaning that I think you are implying. Why hasn't anyone else come out with a mako type board? Is there some trick to manufacturing a board with all that concave and rocker that no one else has bothered to work at?

I've been riding my 140 since the 140 came out in I think 2009? I've owned several other boards that others said I would like more, but I've sold all of the others because the mako is still my favorite. It's also indestructable, so I'm still on my original 140 after probably 400 sessions.
There are other boards out there that are in the same niche as the mako.

Axis twin wave,
cardboards wave
shin speedball
canbrinha just released one a Toxic?

They all have different approaches to reach the same goal of making a TT that's lush in chop and waves.

I liked the Mako 140 and king when I tried them. Very smooth boards. the 140 was so chuckable and fun. I would own one if it wasn't for the fact that I dabble at making my own boards. I did note that even though they are smooth at riding chop and great at carving they also can be harsh at speed. I put this down to the huge concave making them so stiff.

I find my own board smoother and a lot less harsh at speed than the mako. That's due to less concave and more tip flexibility... but at the sacrifice of carvability. The mako out carves my board...

Any way 13 years of production is many lifetimes in the world of kiteboarding. It is truly a worthy achievement.

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:53 am

davesails7 wrote:Why hasn't anyone else come out with a mako type board?
They did; but I've read it's not quite as good. http://www.magnumboards.com/

Return to “Kitesurfing”