Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Mako King setup advice

Postby dracop » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:17 pm

Ok, so I bought a second board, a 2013 Mako King SE, to serve as my lightwind board for under 20 mph and also to serve as a wave shredder for when I travel to places with surf.

Right now I am facing marginal conditions so I am setting it up for light wind as a TT for use with a big kite. Twin tip mode is the two Z55 fins, one at the tip and one at the end right?

I notice in older pics the fins have changed over the years, my package also came with three T80 fins I assume would make up the mutant mode (all three in back or two in back and one up front).

Has anyone played around with different setups for TT mode (eg, using the T80s instead of the Z55s or no fins at all)? I realize people have been playing with Makos for years, I would love to hear how you setup yours for both TT and mutant modes and what your experiences have been.
Attachments
image_2.jpeg
TT bottom fin w/plugs in
image_1.jpeg
Bottom
image.jpeg

rodeoclown
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Carkeek Park, Seattle
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Blade, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Shop ambassador for Urban Surf in Seattle
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mako King setup advice

Postby rodeoclown » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 am

I use a surf fin on my left tip and the twin tip fin on the right.
This favors a goofy stance for waves or hard carves, and lets you hop switch stance without much stickiness. Foot straps centered on the deck for max low end too.
Nice ride!

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:46 am

I've ruined several sessions fooling around with the fin setups, number of fins, larger fins, smaller fins. I find the thing will squirrel out with too many fins in mutant mode, it will track and veer off, it aint no surf board. Dont mess with it - its been honed to perfection with a single fin on each side. I put the pads as FAR APART as possible. Gives me the greatest lean and the most leverage to swing the tail around fast for toe side. Just my 2 cents. Magic board - Good luck!
:heartface:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:06 am

For me, more than one fin is just too much. My 150 is set with the pads in the closer to center mutant position and the 80mm fin on the "back". This is great for when I'm over powdered on the Dialer but still want to pretend I ride waves... Rides backwards fine like this.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:24 pm

And you use the smaller fins vs the larger fins for the TT setup?

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby davesails7 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:35 pm

I really liked the King as a lightwind twin tip and it was fun strapless, but now have a space pickle which I find much better for light wind strapless riding. I didn't like riding the King as a mutant. That's why I'm confused why Ocean Rodeo stopped selling the King with the twin tip pads and straps. I think that's the best part!

I tried it out one time as a twin tip with the big surf fin plus two small fins on one side. I thought it was horrible. On take offs and landings from jumps the large fin would "catch" and really throw me off.

Not much risk in trying it out though! Just set it up with the big fin and bring a screwdriver with you to the beach :thumb:

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:00 am

funny how we all like something different. I thought the King was not good at all as a TT but really liked it as a strapless ride with one fin on the back. You just gotta try different combos and see what works for you and then in a few months try some again because as you progress and your style changes, different combos will work better/worse. There is just no knowing until you try them in different conditions. And it's fun to try new stuff sometimes!

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:21 pm

Working on toeside riding with a TT, boosting higher jumps, and dealing with light conditions. Working the rails to do a proper load and pop is very much necessary as simply sending the kite at random isn't cutting it in these conditions like it does in the 25 mph+ zone. Loading via rails is working although its not the quick boost I can do in better wind, gotta work for the air right now.

All for trying new stuff, was just trying to align my initial setup with what I am working on. People claim the larger fin can catch when you land a jump and I am working on higher jumps (vanilla jumps atm, hope to add tricks once I get more air). Other than this post, I've mostly been reading this article on Progression.me with Mark Shinn for guidance on fins:

Part 1
http://www.progression.me/news/2014/02/ ... the-board/

Part 2
http://www.progression.me/news/2014/02/ ... the-board/

Appreciate all the comments guys. It is very interesting how some people swear by mutant mode, some by TT mode, and a few people have just done unique setups that dont fit any category.

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Arcsrule » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:28 pm

my king is set up mutant from day one. I ride it off the front end (backwards) when the wind is light to get out through the surf. and it jumps great like that too. Toe side is also great on the king.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:41 pm

Not much to add to this beyond what everyone else has said here but I will throw in my standard reply...

All Mako boards are designed to ride off the rail and not the fin, the fin is there to give lateral stability, hence the 2 fin option in TT mode. This requires an equal weighted stance to ensure you carve off the rail (I tell people to get over their front foot).

When you move the weight back on the board to Mutant mode you need to add more fins to compensate. As such, we've experimented heavily with a variety of fins and have found the current set-up (3x 80mm fins plus 1x 55cm fin for nose). This gives you enough fin to carve against but won't rail the board up and will let you ride backwards if / when needed without wanting to snap the board around to face the other direction.

If you wish, you can fin the board up some more with 110mm or larger surf style fins but this would only be if you intend to ride in one direction only with the board and you're likely going to find that the board will want to rail up and will be hard to hold an edge.

Return to “Kitesurfing”