All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: North Juice 18m VS Dyno 17m best light wind airtime?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:01 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Now I want to try it again :o
... are there any settings on the wing tips etc? I can't remember...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:34 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Great info cheers fellas. Let ya know from an airstyle point of view in the 2015. Wished they kept the 5 struts in the bigger sizes though. I'm not sold on three struts for big kites. That's a shit load of canopy to support with three struts only. Will see.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:43 am 
Frequent Poster

I wouldnt worry too much about the 3 struts! The new canopies should easily handle it. (Just look at the Trip or Solo - no struts..)

Kamikuza, the Draft has no settings on the wing tips or any other settings, fixed bridle, fixed position :-)

All settings have to be done on the bar (front-/steeringlines, depower length, bar width) and maybe you kan manipulate the settings on the bridles by the fuse knot shown earlier in this post (I will try that for sure).

I wrote Naish to give me some details on the 2015 Draft - they said the LWR System is now built in (zhe bangeees/attachement, not the lines/set)

I am working on a low-cost DIY custom LWR Light wind relaunch System for all kites, trying to improve Naishs system a bit. Will keep you posted!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:45 pm 
Frequent Poster

any clues on water relaunch of an 18m Dyno??

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:31 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

18 is easy with 5th line

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:42 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

The '13 17m Draft was super easy/effortless to get decent height in jumps. But, imho the goal posts have moved in larger kite sizes by the '14 Edge - the difference in boost was extreme & I have never been higher on a 17m. The Edge is far more demanding to use than the Draft, requiring a hard and solid edge before lift off.. but the lift & glide and then secondary boosts were an eye opener.

That said, for an accessible alround design, the draft is great... but for me it does not provide the same "fix" as the '14 Edge :D

Regarding the move for fewer struts, yes it reduces weight, but these kites still feel slightly "baggy" compared to the razor sharp feed back of a "fully strutted" C. This is made worse by some of the bridles out there at the moment. I can't help think that the move to strutless or reduced strut kites is a retrograde move and borne out of manufacturers reducing both manufacturing cost & the lifespan of a kite, whilst maintaining the retail cost.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:08 pm 
Frequent Poster

Toby wrote:
Quote:
I have a feeling the best airstyle kite will lie between the juice and the new dyno...

nope, just the 2011 Dyno

Toby what do you think the Juice is for?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:24 pm 
Rare Poster

Toby wrote:
18 is easy with 5th line

Always get the 18 out, but cannot say its easy. In higher winds there is lots of tension/power on the 5th. (Hard on the fingers) Or do you use the 5th only in lesser winds?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:14 am 
Medium Poster

mr moon wrote:
Toby wrote:
Quote:
I have a feeling the best airstyle kite will lie between the juice and the new dyno...

nope, just the 2011 Dyno

Toby what do you think the Juice is for?

Not airstyle

"Finally, there are the big handling-oriented kites. These have to be light, durable and quick-turning. They're good for jumping and popping in light wind, but can also go big when powered. Unlike airstyle kites, they need to be nimble and quick. Unlike race kites, it's ok if they're not the last word in upwind performance.

This is where the Juice comes in. The Juice is based roughly on the Neo arc, strut count, profile and outline, but the aspect ratio has been stretched from 4.5 to 5.3, and the leading edge diameter has been shrunk a bit. The center strut is conventional -- so as to improve overall stability -- and the back pigtail is conventional because a relaunch bungee won't work well on such a thick LE tip. - See more at: http://www.northkiteboarding.com/blog/t ... I6toH.dpuf"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:42 am 
Very Frequent Poster

yes, exactly.

I heard it is more for freeride in lighter wind, may it be twintip or Hydrofoil.

An Airstyle kite has to be powerful, stable in stronger winds and be slow in turning.

Just tried another kite today, which I had on a fast setting and 24m lines.
Plus not much bar pressure...kited like a beginner.
Will try to slow it down with 27m lines and slower turning setting.

[ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next